Author Topic: Celts are already starting to hurt for ticket sales  (Read 11738 times)

Celts are already starting to hurt for ticket sales
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Not sure how the guy even got my contact info, but I just got an e-mail from a corporate sales rep with the celtics asking me if I wanted to rent a suite for game 6. 

Sideline suite for 4,075
Corner suite for 2,995

Includes 18 tickets.

I think its interesting that they are struggling to sell playoff tickets on a friday night.  should be even worse next year depending on the offseason.

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Celts are already starting to hurt for ticket sales
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:10:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
C's tickets have not been selling all that well for a couple years now.  Between the financial crisis, and just the overall lack of interest as the team hasn't been at the top of the league the last few years, the secondary ticket market has become flooded, which hurts the market for premium full price seats as well.

I think season ticket holders have been dropping out pretty steadily over the last couple years, and that will just continue as the team gets worse.  And in a year or two, it will return to the pre-2007 routine of lowering prices, and doing all kinds of promotions to sell seats.  Does anyone else remember the free concerts they used to do after games? 

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:12:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Ticket sales = winning in the NBA.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:12:41 AM »

Offline nicknorman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
I was at Games 3 and 4, and through the 1st quarter and into the 2nd the stadium was still 25% empty.  It was almost embarrassing, especially since it seemed a lot of fans in the lower bowl sold tickets to Knicks fans.  The stadium ended up filling up and by over-time it was rocking, but I'm hoping fans would be a little better for a Game 6.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:18:45 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
C's tickets have not been selling all that well for a couple years now.  Between the financial crisis, and just the overall lack of interest as the team hasn't been at the top of the league the last few years, the secondary ticket market has become flooded, which hurts the market for premium full price seats as well.

I think season ticket holders have been dropping out pretty steadily over the last couple years, and that will just continue as the team gets worse.  And in a year or two, it will return to the pre-2007 routine of lowering prices, and doing all kinds of promotions to sell seats.  Does anyone else remember the free concerts they used to do after games?

yup I went to the utah jazz game with natasha beddingfield afterwards.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:49 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

yup I went to the utah jazz game with natasha beddingfield afterwards.

Oh man those were brutal. Nothing says exciting NBA basketball like a live Gavin Degraw  performance at halftime. I felt like I was living in a garbage CW show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFCW3PHBws

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:56:43 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Not sure how the guy even got my contact info, but I just got an e-mail from a corporate sales rep with the celtics asking me if I wanted to rent a suite for game 6. 

Sideline suite for 4,075
Corner suite for 2,995

Includes 18 tickets.

I think its interesting that they are struggling to sell playoff tickets on a friday night.  should be even worse next year depending on the offseason.

Most of the suites are sold to corporations, not individuals. Those sales took quite a hit after the financial meltdown.

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I was at Games 3 and 4, and through the 1st quarter and into the 2nd the stadium was still 25% empty.  It was almost embarrassing, especially since it seemed a lot of fans in the lower bowl sold tickets to Knicks fans.  The stadium ended up filling up and by over-time it was rocking, but I'm hoping fans would be a little better for a Game 6.

Honestly, I think a lot of those empty seats were probably due to post-Marathon security.  I went to the first Sox game after it happened and it took much longer than usual to get in.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 11:11:38 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Maybe a good time for me to invest in season tix

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Im thinking maybe a suite next year for my bachelor party.  Should be pretty reasonably priced.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:18:43 AM »

Offline yagru

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
The problem has to do with ticket prices. They are too high, plain and simple. My friend owns one of the top ticket agencies and he does not make much money on the celtics anymore. I make good money and can only afford to go to a couple games a year. What they did with the tickets over the passed 5 years is crazy.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 11:25:32 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Winning brings in fans.
Losing clears them out.

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Im thinking maybe a suite next year for my bachelor party.  Should be pretty reasonably priced.

That would be sweet. Lock it up early and hope danny pulls something ridicumous off haha

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Winning brings in fans.
Losing clears them out.

As well as unexciting basketball. Watching the Thunder play a team like the Nuggets or Warriors versus watching the Celtics play say the Nets or Spurs is like seeing an IMAX movie versus watching paint dry.

A majority of NBA "fans" go to game for excitement, dunks, flash, high scores and to watch the players they see on commercials and tv. Unfortunately there are not many fans out there that care about the game the way it should be cared about.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:28:57 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Winning brings in fans.
Losing clears them out.

As well as unexciting basketball. Watching the Thunder play a team like the Nuggets or Warriors versus watching the Celtics play say the Nets or Spurs is like seeing an IMAX movie versus watching paint dry.

A majority of NBA "fans" go to game for excitement, dunks, flash, high scores and to watch the players they see on commercials and tv. Unfortunately there are not many fans out there that care about the game the way it should be cared about.

And those fans that do care, often don't want to spend 80 bucks to sit in the back of the baseline balcony.