Author Topic: What's The Best Performance YOU'VE Had...  (Read 40705 times)

Re: What's The Best Performance YOU'VE Had...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I had much better scoring performances, but my best game ever was when I was one point away from a triple double. Imagine that - one point!

17 boards, 15 blocks, 9 points.

Wow, Toine, 15 blocks!?!? that's insane! Are you really tall or were you just a super athletic player who made weak side blocks into the stands like Josh Smith?

I'm not all that tall (about 6'1.5''), but I have a freakishly long wingspan, and a knack for waiting until the ball is in the air to contest. Probably my blocks are split half and half between weakside and just good man defense.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I hit a buzzer beater three my freshman year.  Of course, the guy guarding me got piece of the ball and piece of my hand; if he hadn't been there, I would have missed the shot by about four feet, I think; I wasn't exactly the team's first option, and I'm not quite sure why I was on the floor at the end of the game in the first place.

Oh thats where Violet Palmer officiated before coming to the NBA? :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:48:08 AM by housecall »

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 04:15:44 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
When I was younger I had big basketball dreams. I used to practice basketball a lot, and played organized ball up until my senior year of high school. But there was one memory that was a bit more epic than the others.

It was a game early in the season. My team was playing a private high school that was ranked considerably better than we were. In fact, this team was ranked in a more difficult division than we were.

So from the beginning of first half to the midway point of the second half I was having an average game. I believe I had around 12 points, 4 rebounds, and I don't even know how many assists. (small R.I farm towns never kept track of the assists.)

What made this game so memorable for me was the finish. My team was down by three points with about a minute left. My coach (who was an idiot by the way) drew up an out of bounds play to get me a three point look from the corner. When I got the ball there were a couple of guys who tried to bother the shot. But I fell away and drained it anyway.

After that shot the game was tied. Then the other team's point guard panicked with the next possession. He ran down the sideline at full speed and I drew a charge. (A call that was hardly ever made correctly.) Plus, I also had four fouls at the time. So it was big not to foul out.

So we were all tied up and my team had the ball. On this possession i drove to the lane, and got the lay up and got fouled. (The referees were liking me in this game for some reason.)

I hit the free throw and my team had the go ahead three points. The team we were playing proceeded to choke. I don't remember exactly what they did, because it wasn't too memorable.

This game was also pretty neat because a girl in the stands had a huge crush on me at the time. She even made a sign that said #2 = babe, and she held it up for most of the game. After that performance I never had to worry about breaking the ice with her. She seemed to have become infatuated with me. All because of my good basketball play.

This was an epic performance for me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 04:37:12 PM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
I actually played pro ball in Portugal for 4 months. I was 16 at the time. Now remember, FIBA has a shorter 3 point line. I had to mention that because I went 7-12 for 3 and ended up with
38 points, 12rebs, 3assists(i know, ball hog lol), and 5 blocks. I remember that game like it was yesterday because I actually had a couple of little kids ask me for my autograph. Im not saying I was a star, but that day I was. Anyways, I played probably 7 games that season and then hyperextended my knee BAD!!!!!. I left after four months because my grades were trash and I was about to stay back, so I moved back to the U.S.

Man, to tell you the truth I still dream about that night. Lol, i know Im corny.  ;D

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Never played high school ball.

But in pick up games to 21...

A couple months ago - 6 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 blocks, 4 steals.

A couple weeks ago me and 11 other kids split up into 4 teams of 3 and had a tournament, I played in about 10 games and didn't lose any. I broke my nose driving to the hoop on one play about halfway through the tournament too, but I kept playing. Pretty much every game in the tournament I had similar stats to the game above.

Way back in my freshman year of highschool... me and a bunch of my friends playing against juniors, I hit 6 straight 3's. (Too bad that was the only thing I was good at back then)

Now I'm a good all around basketball player, I wish I played the way I do now back in high school, I probably would have played.

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 04:50:30 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Sophomore year of high school, it was the second game of the season. I was on JV.

My stat line was 24 points, 7 rebounds, 11 assists, and 6 steals. Not the most I scored in a game, but I played great all around ball.

Also had an alley oop dunk. The crowd went crazy and people I didn't even know gave me high fives, the next day in school. I felt like I was on top of the world at that particular moment. Ahhh, high school memories.

Wow, where did you go to high school? If you were on JV and you put up numbers like that you must've been at a school with pretty good sports... or did you just beat up on a bad team that game? Either way, that's an impressive performance.

And nice job with the oop. I've never gotten one in a game, I'm not tall enough to do it easily or consistently, but I did get an and-1 fast break dunk a few weeks ago... but it was a pretty weak dunk. All of mine are. I'm only 5'10.

Yeah, that was just one game. I averaged about 14 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 assists that year. The oop was at the end of the game where no one defended me on a fast break so my teammate just lobbed one to me for the fun of it. The team we played that night was a decent team. Not good but not bad, either.

Well, I wouldn't say my high school had good sport teams, Sophomores who tried out had no choice but to be on JV. The really really good sophomores made it to varsity. The most points I scored in a game was a pick up game last year at the YMCA. Scored about 34 against these high school kids.  ;D
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Best point performance against a bad team was 44. My buddy on the team scored 32 that same night and we each probably had over 20 off of layups. I would guess we each had 10+ assists and 8-10 steals. Other than the the high points it was fun because he and I had 76 out of the 82 points that game.

Best overall game though was 32 points in a league after I was older and out of school. Missed one shot the entire night. Went 12-12 from the free throw line including 6 straight with 3 seconds left to put us into overtime. (Fouled on a shot and the other coach went crazy about it and got 2 techs and tossed. They shot 2 FT's for each tech) Then a guy on the team that was ticked I shot the techs, iced me the entire OT taking the inbounds pass by "force", and going down and launching 6 shots that he missed badly. The other team scored 1 point in OT and we lost...

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 04:54:33 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I had much better scoring performances, but my best game ever was when I was one point away from a triple double. Imagine that - one point!

Wow, Toine, 15 blocks!?!? that's insane! Are you really tall or were you just a super athletic player who made weak side blocks into the stands like Josh Smith?

I'm not all that tall (about 6'1.5''), but I have a freakishly long wingspan, and a knack for waiting until the ball is in the air to contest. Probably my blocks are split half and half between weakside and just good man defense.

Those 15 blocks is the most impressive number I have seen on here Toine. Especially at that height. Some people just have a natural ability to time blocked shots. You obviously are one of them!

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas

That's crazy, man. 15 blocks must of felt good. The feeling of sending one into the stands is the best.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 05:48:16 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Best point performance against a bad team was 44. My buddy on the team scored 32 that same night and we each probably had over 20 off of layups. I would guess we each had 10+ assists and 8-10 steals. Other than the the high points it was fun because he and I had 76 out of the 82 points that game.

Best overall game though was 32 points in a league after I was older and out of school. Missed one shot the entire night. Went 12-12 from the free throw line including 6 straight with 3 seconds left to put us into overtime. (Fouled on a shot and the other coach went crazy about it and got 2 techs and tossed. They shot 2 FT's for each tech) Then a guy on the team that was ticked I shot the techs, iced me the entire OT taking the inbounds pass by "force", and going down and launching 6 shots that he missed badly. The other team scored 1 point in OT and we lost...

EJ what position do you play? That's some SCORING, dude. Not to mention clutch FT's. Too bad you guys lost, it must be a downer knowing your best performance couldn't bring you guys a win  :-\. Was the other team good? Were you guys good? And 82 points? How long were your halves? That's pretty high scoring.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
The best performance I've ever had  was during a beer pong game (sigh, I feel like a frat guy).

We were playing 50 cups a side. The opposing team had just won the game with 6 remaining cups. I bounced my shot, my buddy missed the swat and accidentally knocked 4 cups to the ground. My shot went in one of the two remaining cups.

We were all in such shock that we completely forgot about overtime, and ran around the house like we just witnessed a 720 dunk at and And1 Game, informing the other 4-6 people at the house.

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 05:53:53 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

That's crazy, man. 15 blocks must of felt good. The feeling of sending one into the stands is the best.

I'd just like to say that I'm a 5'10 point guard and that last night I blocked a layup attempt off the glass. The guy who took it was 6'8, 240 and he tried to get cute with it on the fast break.

Definitely the best defensive play of my career to date, since we were only up 6 at the time, and this guy, #32, had been scoring on us all game. The block rattled him and the next time he got the ball he got fouled and missed both free throws.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas

I'd just like to say that I'm a 5'10 point guard and that last night I blocked a layup attempt off the glass. The guy who took it was 6'8, 240 and he tried to get cute with it on the fast break.

Definitely the best defensive play of my career to date, since we were only up 6 at the time, and this guy, #32, had been scoring on us all game. The block rattled him and the next time he got the ball he got fouled and missed both free throws.

Wow, you must have some serious hops. What's your vertical?

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 06:22:21 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Yeah - the 15 blocks felt really good, believe me. And by the way, I knew this thread was going to be multiple pages, because who doesn't like to brag about themselves?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

EJ what position do you play? That's some SCORING, dude. Not to mention clutch FT's. Too bad you guys lost, it must be a downer knowing your best performance couldn't bring you guys a win  :-\. Was the other team good? Were you guys good? And 82 points? How long were your halves? That's pretty high scoring.

Back then I played the 2 primarily. I'm just under 6'1" so not too tall, however now that I am old and not in quite as good of "shape" as I used to be I typically play down low.

The team we played where we had 82 combined was actually 2 -20 min halves. They were bad. We stole so many passes across the top and scored layups it was starting to get embarrassing. We actually pulled off a bit towards the end. In hindsight I wish I had dropped the 50!

The other game was against a very good team and was the league championship. It was frustrating, but when you are the "new guy" on the team and scoring that way some people just don't like it. I actually averaged 23 points a game in that league. Wasn't much of a defender back then, but I could light it up. The next year I played in a game against a guy that played pro ball in Germany and scored 22 on him. I felt pretty good about that one, but the guy dropped at least 30 on me the other way...

Fun to remember back when I actually could get a step on my guy and get to the rim. Now I have to back everyone down and shoot the Kevin Willis "jump hook" on them or hit the open jumper from the top of the key. Oh it is fun to be getting old...

TP for the interesting thread! It was neat to see all these guys experiences! I still say Toine's 15 blocks is the most amazing thing on here!