Author Topic: Worst Sports Memories  (Read 16496 times)

Re: Worst Sports Memories
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Redz

your Mother and I got a kick (pardon the pun) reading about your experience in the Emerson/Curry game

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Redz

your Mother and I got a kick (pardon the pun) reading about your experience in the Emerson/Curry game

Who is this man, and what is he doing with my mother? ;D
Yup

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202

My worst personal sports memory not involving me competing.

It was October 25th 1986.  I was a freshman in college down in North Carolina, but was home on a fall semester break.  My parents were away on a business trip, due home the next morning (the same morning I was due to go back to school) and I decided to have a few friends over to watch the World Series.

A few friends over while my parents were away......oh my.

All I can say is, the house was a disaster area, wall to wall kids, beer everywhere (I am cringing) and the Sox on the verge of winning it all and my parents' house on the verge of being totally destroyed.  (You may not realize this, but kids really don't have much concern about the condition of another person's home when the they are partying)  It was a total f'n nightmare.

And then.........then Calvin Schrialdi and Bob Stanley both imploded leading to Buckner's error.  Stunned silence.  Within ten minutes the house was empty, a pig sty, but empty.  It was as if a category 5 hurricane just miraculously evaporated.  For the next 7 hours me and three friends cleaned and cleaned and cleaned......and when we were done the house looked.........horrible, but it was standing.

So the moment that still pains many of us, pains me as well, but had it not happened....well, lets just not go there, it only happened 22 years ago, the wounds are still fresh. 
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 09:47:44 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158

It was October 25th 1986.  I was a freshman in college down in North Carolina, but was home on a fall semester break.  My parents were away on a business trip, due home the next morning (the same morning I was due to go back to school) and I decided to have a few friends over to watch the World Series.

All I can say is, the house was a disaster area, wall to wall kids, beer everywhere (I am cringing) and the Sox on the verge of winning it all and my parents' house on the verge of being totally destroyed.  (You may not realize this, but kids really don't have much concern about the condition of another person's home when the they are partying)  It was a total f'n nightmare.

And then.........then Calvin Schrialdi and Bob Stanley both imploded leading to Buckner's error.  Stunned silence.  Within ten minutes the house was empty, a pig sty, but empty.  It was as if a category 5 hurricane just miraculously evaporated.  For the next 7 hours me and three friends cleaned and cleaned and cleaned......and when we were done the house looked.........horrible, but it was standing.

So the moment that still pains many of us, pains me as well, but had it not happened....well, lets just not go there, it only happened 22 years ago, the wounds are still fresh. 

I was 3 and I couldn't stand watching baseball until about 2001 but I can equate that to last year still living at home and having a party for the Super Bowl... Not only having to deal with utter defeat but having to clean to house while in mourning? That sucks...
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 09:50:53 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
- The worst memory is a tough one. I'd probably say New South Wales losing to Queensland in State of Origin (Rugby League) 3 years in a row now (maybe more, lost track :P). The fact I live in Queensland makes it awful since I'll recieve txt messages from people I haven't talked to in over 4 years....  I'm sure this has happened to most out-of-town fans so you probably all know what it's like.

- Worst Celtic memory, have to be Red Auerbach Passing, and the season that followed; It really did seem like a rollercoaster. The worse part of the season would have to be seeing Tony Allen really step up and carry the celtics for 7 or so games only to hamper his career on meaningless dunk.

- Worst memory playing sport... probably while playing basketball in my final year of high school. We faced the favourite team of the competition first game of the season. The opposing team had played all year together in a club team and we had only a month or two together as a team. With less than a minute to go, we were up by 1 and had possesion. Then we turnover the ball on the inbound, for them to score an easy 2 points at the other end. Next possesion we needed a two to win and low and behold, we stuff up the inbound play and run the clock down in the process; game over. We come second in the competition behind them. Frustrating stuff.....

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 09:55:43 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Jeez, seeing as my father is lurking around this thread, I probably shouldn't say anything, but I had a toned down version of the same story (just a half dozen or so close friends were there), but instead of cleaning, there was a whole lot of "let's kick Bud cans angrily around the kitchen floor" going on.  In this case I'd say it was justified.  Anyhow, I'm certain when my children reach their teens they will be FAR more respectful and law abiding when their folks are out of town ::).

I still blame the double-reverse jinx on one friend who kept trying to temper all of our sentimental "my grandfather has never seen the Sox win" type comments, by having the nerve to telling us the game wasn't over yet. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:01:29 AM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 04:18:20 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Redz

let me change that...your mother is "proud" of you

<edit: Roy, someone, anyone...is having to fix dad's typos under my job description? - redz>
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:42:37 PM by Redz »

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 05:50:19 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
1. (I'll list this my biggest non-C's memory) The 99 NFC championship game.  15-1 Vikings, with their then record shattering offense, roll over and play dead against the Falcons.  It's not just that they lost (Hell, Atlanta was 14-2 that year) that year, it was that they didn't seem to want it in the waning minutes.  Just awful.

2.  Larry Bird's retirement.  I remember walking through our living room and they interrupted some soap opera (hey, when you have 3 channels, soap operas are gonna be on in the afternoon) to announce Bird was hanging it up.  I mustve been 11 or 12 or so, and just in love with the guy.  Totally crushed me.  Reggie Lewis passing away was 2nd.

3.  I struck out in extra innings with runners on to lose the championship one year in little league.  Ironically, I hit a moon shot home run earlier in the game that was by far the highlight of my very brief foray into sports.