Author Topic: Time to talk about the bench guys!  (Read 9728 times)

Re: Time to talk about the bench guys!
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2023, 11:00:58 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
I think Walsh is going to force his way into the rotation before the season is over.

Our bench looks weird because there is such a gap between our top 6 players and our next 3-5 guys, but that’s because our top 6 is so, so good.

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2023, 11:42:48 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I do think Brissett, Stevens, and Walsh will all have moments for us this year.

Stevens played big minutes for the Cavs in the playoffs. I thought he played pretty well, but unfortunately, he wasn't a great floor-stretching presence and they already had two non-shooters on the court. Next to Zinger or Horford, he could be like a mini-PJ Tucker-lite or Lu Dort-lite. Let him do all the dirty work against opposing forwards/wings.

Brissett is just a good athlete and effective player. I don't see him as a starter, but he's gonna have moments for us. Something like a Juan Toscano-Anderson for the Warriors a few years ago, or a Tony Snell (but better) type player.

Walsh is similar to these other two guys. The beauty is that a guy like Walsh can see the floor more because we have shooting big man. But both Stevens and Brissett will play over him in a similar role. He's going to have to outplay them.

I'm not sure if Gabriel or someone else will be the other piece, but I'd like to see one more shooting big man that can defend the pick-and-roll a bit. If Kornet could get his shooting back to what it was at the beginning of his career, he could work. I wouldn't mind bringing back Theis either, but the salaries are tough to match up. Bringing back Blake Griffin could make some sense also. I'm not really wanting a pure rim-runner though. I'd like a guy who could stretch the floor.

I kinda' wish Ainge would buy out Olynyk as a favor to Boston so he could sign with us, but again, I think being over the second apron that we wouldn't be able to sign him anyway, right? He'd be a really good third big man.

I'm still keeping my eye on the Achiuwa situation (they have Siakim, Poetl, Barnes, Anunoby, and Boucher in front of him, with Young and Porter also on the roster). He's a tough-nosed player who is a jack-of-all-trades-but-master-of-none. I think he could potentially earn some minutes with his size as a second big or stand-alone big.

Random ramblings.

« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2023, 12:22:56 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Regarding Olynyk, we could sign him if bought out.  You can only sign players who were bought out and make less than the MLE, which this year is $12.4 million.  Olynyk is at $12.2 million, so he just qualifies.

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2023, 01:01:33 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491
It's probably green-tinted glasses but I like the bench.

Pritchard, Oshae, Hauser, Horford rounding out the top 5 is really nice. I'm high on Oshae (I see him as a James Posey type) and I think Pritchard and Hauser and both incredible shooters who are underrated on defense.

As others have said in this thread, if the rotation is smart, 2 of the top 4 guys will always be on the court which will make things easier for the bench.

It would be nice to have another rotation big but maybe Gabriel is that guy. I haven't seen much of him but he seems to have a lot of raw talent. Not much size, but he isn't any smaller than Rob was.
He has a lot of similarities to TL. I like the way Gabriel sounded to the press on Media Day. Then watched a bunch of highlights from his LAL season, and I’m impressed. For per-36, he is almost a 13/10 guy. KP/Al/Gabriel is nice sounding center depth. For that reason, I would put him in that 2nd unit over Brissett.

I was really impressed with Gabriel's interview as well.  Super well spoken, smart, he seems to really understand what his role is.  I got excited watching his highlights as well.  Super energy level, not afraid to take a 3, looks like he works really hard.   I love us getting Holiday, but a lot of these under the radar guys at the end of the roster have me excited as well.  It feels like Brad has made all the right moves.  All the players he brought in seem to mesh well.

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2023, 09:18:15 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Regarding Olynyk, we could sign him if bought out.  You can only sign players who were bought out and make less than the MLE, which this year is $12.4 million.  Olynyk is at $12.2 million, so he just qualifies.

Cool beans.

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2023, 10:25:15 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3189

Stevens played big minutes for the Cavs in the playoffs. I thought he played pretty well, but unfortunately, he wasn't a great floor-stretching presence and they already had two non-shooters on the court. Next to Zinger or Horford, he could be like a mini-PJ Tucker-lite or Lu Dort-lite. Let him do all the dirty work against opposing forwards/wings.

Brissett is just a good athlete and effective player. I don't see him as a starter, but he's gonna have moments for us. Something like a Juan Toscano-Anderson for the Warriors a few years ago, or a Tony Snell (but better) type player.

Walsh is similar to these other two guys. The beauty is that a guy like Walsh can see the floor more because we have shooting big man. But both Stevens and Brissett will play over him in a similar role. He's going to have to outplay them.

I'm not sure if Gabriel or someone else will be the other piece, but I'd like to see one more shooting big man that can defend the pick-and-roll a bit. If Kornet could get his shooting back to what it was at the beginning of his career, he could work. I wouldn't mind bringing back Theis either, but the salaries are tough to match up. Bringing back Blake Griffin could make some sense also. I'm not really wanting a pure rim-runner though. I'd like a guy who could stretch the floor.

I kinda' wish Ainge would buy out Olynyk as a favor to Boston so he could sign with us, but again, I think being over the second apron that we wouldn't be able to sign him anyway, right? He'd be a really good third big man.

I'm still keeping my eye on the Achiuwa situation (they have Siakim, Poetl, Barnes, Anunoby, and Boucher in front of him, with Young and Porter also on the roster). He's a tough-nosed player who is a jack-of-all-trades-but-master-of-none. I think he could potentially earn some minutes with his size as a second big or stand-alone big.

Random ramblings.

Precious and Gabriel shot the 3 at about the same % last year.

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2023, 10:31:52 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Random ramblings.

I like the Gabriel get, but isn't he a training camp invite?

« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2023, 10:38:35 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213

Random ramblings.

On 3x the attempts, too. 108 for Precious and 36 for Gabriel, which given how they shot last year was about 100 too many (about 35 too many for Gabriel)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2023, 10:51:44 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877

Random ramblings.

These are all good thoughts.

As to Olynyk, if waived, he would be a great fit.  Thanks Celtics2021 for clarifying that we could in fact sign him to a vet min contract if released.  Utah has 18 players under contract but 5 of those don't have any real guaranteed money.  Utah won't be forced to waive someone like Olynyk, but it is possible they may decide to keep younger players.  It is funny that they brought in John Collins.  I guess he is only 26 where Olynyk is 32.  Ainge must think he can get Collins back on track.  They certainly don't need both Collins and Olynyk.

I also agree that Achiuwa is a good target with the TPE.  He fits the Celtics' need, but I have no idea how he fits into TOR plans.  It seems like TOR would take a first for him, but I don't know.  He is not all that different than Gabriel but probably is better, at least has more of an NBA track record.  I have not seen Achiuwa play a ton, but from what I have seen, I think he could be a solid bench piece to assume the Grant Williams role.

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2023, 11:04:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Olynyk won't be bought out any time soon.  The Jazz fairly recently fully guaranteed his salary for this year.

If we want to get KO, we're going to need to trade for him.  And to do that, we're going to need to use the TPE as part of a two-step.

Step 1:  Trade for somebody making less than $6.2 million.  I'll use Jalen Smith and his $5,043,773, because he's likely available.

Step 2:  Wait 60 days.

Step 3:  Aggregate Smith's contract with some minimum contracts (or Pritchard).  We'd have to send out $11,086,475.

Would that trade make sense for us?  Jalen Smith + Payton Pritchard + Delano Banton for Olynyk?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 11:15:54 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2023, 11:23:12 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2716
I think Walsh is going to force his way into the rotation before the season is over.

Our bench looks weird because there is such a gap between our top 6 players and our next 3-5 guys, but that’s because our top 6 is so, so good.

I agree. I know we shouldn't expect much of anything from a rookie, especially a second round pick, but Walsh seems to have the tools, size and mentality to crack this rotation and contribute imo. Guys like Tony Allen, Glen Davis, Leon Powe all contributed in the past. Even Rondo was a late 1st round pick for the 2008 title team.

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2023, 11:29:50 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3189

Random ramblings.

On 3x the attempts, too. 108 for Precious and 36 for Gabriel, which given how they shot last year was about 100 too many (about 35 too many for Gabriel)

LOL

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2023, 11:39:26 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Olynyk won't be bought out any time soon.  The Jazz fairly recently fully guaranteed his salary for this year.

If we want to get KO, we're going to need to trade for him.  And to do that, we're going to need to use the TPE as part of a two-step.

Step 1:  Trade for somebody making less than $6.2 million.  I'll use Jalen Smith and his $5,043,773, because he's likely available.

Step 3:  Aggregate Smith's contract with some minimum contracts (or Pritchard).  We'd have to send out $11,086,475.

Would that trade make sense for us?  Jalen Smith + Payton Pritchard + Delano Banton for Olynyk?

No, I don’t think Olynyk is worth the cost of multiple trades. I think Ainge will try to move him at the deadline and then they will talk buyout depending on their playoff ambitions should he not be dealt.  I wasn’t suggesting that he would be cut in camp this year.

« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2023, 11:58:36 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92

I don’t see Olynyk being a target unless we lose a core big for an extended period. Everyone looks healthy right now so hopefully that remains true. If Al retires after this year he’d be a nice addition.

What I really want to know is if Stephens is a a guy that can keep Jimmy Butler in check? He seems to have the size and skill set, but does he have the ability? I haven’t seen him play enough to know and don’t have time to research past games to see.

« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2023, 12:08:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877

If we could get Jalen Smith, I would just stop right there.

I agree it is odd that UTA picked up the option on Olynyk in June and then also brought in Collins about a week later.  Why not use Olynyk in that trade, seemed like the perfect opportunity for Olynyk to be a "building block" for a trade?  My guess is that ATL did not want Olynyk.  My prediction is that Olynyk gets bought out by someone at some point in the season.  Ainge must feel that he can get something for him, using him to get Collins would have made sense to me, kind of a bad contract for a bad contract.  Maybe he thought he could be a piece in a 3-way (or more) deal for Lillard or someone like that.  At this point though, I am not sure if anyone would give up anything of value for Olynyk on that contract.  Danny gambled on picking up that option on Olynyk but he may lose that gamble and have to eat the contract or some other bad contract he has to take back to dump Olynyk (perhaps picking up a second round pick or something for the trouble).