Author Topic: Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?  (Read 113827 times)

Re: Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The Best:

So far, Lake Tahoe. It's just nice out there.

The Worst:

Shenzhen, China. We went on a tour. The jade stores there does not let you of their establishments unless you buy something.
What exactly do you mean they don't let you out?  Do they do this to everyone, or just tourists? Can you just put it on the credit card and then dispute it?

The tour stops there.

The tour guide brings you to the place, shows you the jades, how it's made and stuff. Then you go into a some sort of an open area with chairs and they serve you water. And the tour stops there. It wont go on until someone from the tour group buys something.

IDK if this is still happening, this was about 6 years ago. My family and I are with a group of 25 and we were stuck in that room being fed water for about 45 minutes. When one of the guys asked why are we still waiting, the tour guide literally said "we need to buy atleast something for the tour to continue on."

Worst tour of my life.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »

Offline macbrian

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0

I'm quite a fan of European countries - one of my favorites was def Tuscany, spent two weeks in Pienza just eating and drinking and driving around and then eating and drinking again...

Worst was probably Detroit, but only went there for work, so that might not have helped...

Will be going to Mexico with the woman later this year, looking forward to that. Oh, and just to throw some numbers in here: http://www.statista.com/statistics/207826/top-destinations-of-air-inclusive-vacations/

« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2014, 12:25:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
heading to St Thomas late November/early December.  Anyone been there and if so, any info on what to see/do or to avoid?

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Best- Coronado Island- Just so relaxing and peaceful

Worst- Wheaton Arkansas- Stayed there when going across the states, town of about 50 people (all of who seemed like they want to axe murder my wife and I) and a billion Locusts and Frogs....Stayed at their one motel there next to a field. You could not walk out at night as you could not help but step on frogs in every step...then when waking up in the morning our Giant Yellow Ryder truck was Green...I thought someone painted it, as we got closer we realized it was covered entirely by locusts. We still had locusts coming out of our air vents after about 200 miles.  Funny but I still look back and like the experience even though I hated at the time....

Distant Second is Philly.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Making my first trip to Europe in a little over a month. Work my way from Rome to Amsterdam.

Hoping it lives up to the hype.

Best place I ever visited was St Lucia. Spectacular!

« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
anyone here ever travel from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon? With a kid? Tell me all about it. Please

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Anyone here ever been to Disneyland in LA with a kid? Please tell me all about it.

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2015, 05:44:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Anyone here ever been to West Point? Tell us all bout it

« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2015, 05:59:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
anyone here ever travel from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon? With a kid? Tell me all about it. Please

Forget the kids, and take the wife to Sedona. Thank me later.

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Interlaken, Switzerland

Cinque Terre region in Italy

Both truly breath taking

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

About 15 years ago my wife, daughters and I went to Sedona for 5 days and took a day at the Grand Canyon.  We stayed at a beautiful place called Enchantment Resort right in Boynton Canyon.  It was expensive, but the short stay made it affordable.  With 2 kids, 10 and 5 at the time, 5 nights worked perfect for us. 

The day at the Grand Canyon was strange.  Only about a 2-hour drive from Sedona (I think).  My younger daughter had a rough day (cranky and borderline tantrumy)-- later to tell us that the Grand Canyon scared her.  I thought GC was amazing, but to be honest after the first 30 minutes or so, I was past the thrill and the rest of the views were still amazing -- but in a way more of the same.  Not adventueous by nature we didn't do anything like the mule ride on the ridge or anything like that.  My wife and younger daughter were terrified; me and my older daughter were impressed but pretty much done with it after a few hours.  I suspect others loved the GC as it is unbelievable, but this was my take.

The Sedona trip overall though was VERY worth it.  Lots of walks, intersting wildlife (the kids liked that a lot), nice pool, etc...

« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2015, 06:27:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I think I got PTSD from the road into Sedona

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

About 15 years ago my wife, daughters and I went to Sedona for 5 days and took a day at the Grand Canyon.  We stayed at a beautiful place called Enchantment Resort right in Boynton Canyon.  It was expensive, but the short stay made it affordable.  With 2 kids, 10 and 5 at the time, 5 nights worked perfect for us. 

The day at the Grand Canyon was strange.  Only about a 2-hour drive from Sedona (I think).  My younger daughter had a rough day (cranky and borderline tantrumy)-- later to tell us that the Grand Canyon scared her.  I thought GC was amazing, but to be honest after the first 30 minutes or so, I was past the thrill and the rest of the views were still amazing -- but in a way more of the same.  Not adventueous by nature we didn't do anything like the mule ride on the ridge or anything like that.  My wife and younger daughter were terrified; me and my older daughter were impressed but pretty much done with it after a few hours.  I suspect others loved the GC as it is unbelievable, but this was my take.

The Sedona trip overall though was VERY worth it.  Lots of walks, intersting wildlife (the kids liked that a lot), nice pool, etc...
We had almost the exact same experience. Enchantment and everything, but I wasn't a big Sedona fan at all.  But I could see how others could like it.

« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2015, 06:30:31 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Anyone have any recommendations for what part of cape cod is the best?

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2015, 06:42:42 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
During the Spring and Summer, my wife and I love visiting Abingdon, Virginia! Has the Creeper trail which is great for hiking, walking, biking. There is local winery. A lot of cool small antique shops, and plenty of great small restaurants. On Saturdays, they have the best Farmer's Market I have ever been too! Also great disc golf courses around, its fun throwing into the the beautiful scenery! BUT the best thing about Abingdon is the BARTER THEATRE! They put on great shows and are why we keep going back! Overall Abingdon is a great lil place to go if you love to buy local and be surrounded by a great community!