Author Topic: BC hires Cornell's Steve Donahue  (Read 13407 times)

Re: BC hires Cornell's Steve Donahue
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I have a feeling BC's basketball team is going to look considerably whiter in the next few years.

why is that? because we fired a black coach and hired a white one?

Because the guy seems to have a thing for guys with strong fundamentals and outside jumpshots.  That kind of player tends to be white.

Plus, I have a feeling the ex-coach of Cornell will have a much easier time recruiting prominent white players than black ones, especially to a school like BC.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 01:24:36 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I have a feeling BC's basketball team is going to look considerably whiter in the next few years.

Because the guy seems to have a thing for guys with strong fundamentals and outside jumpshots.  That kind of player tends to be white.

Plus, I have a feeling the ex-coach of Cornell will have a much easier time recruiting prominent white players than black ones, especially to a school like BC.

So what are you basing this on.  It doesnt seem to be based on fact considering the two white players committed to BC this season are no longer with the team and the one black recruit is.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

So what are you basing this on.  It doesnt seem to be based on fact considering the two white players committed to BC this season are no longer with the team and the one black recruit is.

Based entirely on a subjective guess based on the reasons I stated.  It would be difficult to deny, however, that Donahue will have less recruiting pull in the urban African-American community than in the suburban white one.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 11:15:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Based entirely on a subjective guess based on the reasons I stated.  It would be difficult to deny, however, that Donahue will have less recruiting pull in the urban African-American community than in the suburban white one.
Why is that difficult to deny?

Have you talked to him? Do you know his contacts in the major urban areas? Have you been there when he has talked to non-Caucasian prospects and seen something we don't know about?

You are basing this solely on the color of many of the players he was able to land at one of the hardest learning institutions in the country to get into. You have NO evidence whatsoever that he will have even the slightest problem recruiting non-Caucasians. NONE!!

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 11:24:03 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

Have you talked to him? Do you know his contacts in the major urban areas? Have you been there when he has talked to non-Caucasian prospects and seen something we don't know about?

You are basing this solely on the color of many of the players he was able to land at one of the hardest learning institutions in the country to get into. You have NO evidence whatsoever that he will have even the slightest problem recruiting non-Caucasians. NONE!!

Getting a little bit too diversity-day-at-work/school-assembly-on-diversity-esque for my taste.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
wait wait wait. I'm slowwwwly getting less drunk and my one functioning brain cell is asking "This matters why?"

No really. Why does it matter again?

If the team looks a little more Dukish or Butlerish or whatever why does it matter?  Could someone just tell me why it matters.

Will it change something or have some effect that will be noticed or that people will care about?

I liked BC ball back in the Bill Curley days. Liked it in the Troy Bell days.  Would like it if we had Yao Ming. Would like it if they got Crazy Horse the 17th....I'm not seeing the problem or the issue.

Why are we talking about this?

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
wait wait wait. I'm slowwwwly getting less drunk and my one functioning brain cell is asking "This matters why?"

If the team looks a little more Dukish or Butlerish or whatever why does it matter?  Could someone just tell me why it matters.

Will it change something or have some effect that will be noticed or that people will care about?

I liked BC ball back in the Bill Curley days. Liked it in the Troy Bell days.  Would like it if we had Yao Ming. Would like it if they got Crazy Horse the 17th....I'm not seeing the problem or the issue.

TP4U. It really doesn't matter but it does come across as painting this guy as something that he might not be. And that I think is unfair.

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 12:04:21 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Based entirely on a subjective guess based on the reasons I stated.  It would be difficult to deny, however, that Donahue will have less recruiting pull in the urban African-American community than in the suburban white one.

All I'm saying is I have a hard time seeing a guy from Cornell with no other big coaching credentials having much pull in that community, especially when he's coaching at a school like BC.

BC already has a tough time getting top recruits, I don't see that improving any with Donahue.  It's going to take a few years for him to build up a reputation, especially amongst the African American community (because of where he comes from).

I'm not saying it matters, necessarily, though it might.  I wouldn't mind if BC could become like Duke with a ton of top white players making up their team...but it seems like Duke already has the monopoly on that. 

But I trust Donahue to get the most of his players, whoever they might be - whether it's a bunch of lightly recruited kids from white suburbia or lightly recruited kids of other ethnicities from the inner city.  He showed at Cornell that he's capable of doing that.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 10:51:47 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

TP4U. It really doesn't matter but it does come across as painting this guy as something that he might not be. And that I think is unfair.
Well you got me there nick. Good point

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 09:01:39 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »

Offline noro

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
  • Welcome to the Loud House
why don't you just buy insider instead of asking people to repost articles which is technically illegal.
2003 National Champions

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 10:47:03 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
why don't you just buy insider instead of asking people to repost articles which is technically illegal.

I didnt ask anybody to repost, so not to worry.  Anyways, I think  this Alex Murphey kid could be a real steal for the program, is from MA, Number 10 ranked prospect overall, and his dad is a BC Alum, played basketball at BC, and is in the BC Hall of fame.  If we can't sign him we might as well close up shop.

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 10:52:55 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Do you like living in Bristol? Say hi to the guys in the IT dept. for me, now get back to work. (Just kidding.)

Here's the gist:

Finklestein thinks they need to develop local ties to top HS, Prep, and AAU programs. They are making good progress on that. They signed a guy who would have eventually been a prime target of lots of BCS schools if he hadn't been signed early:
Dennis Clifford (Bridgewater, Mass./Milton Academy), a seven-footer who grew up miles away from the Chestnut Hill campus and has the skill set to thrive in Donahue's system.

Then they ran their first ever clinic for local top prospects, where they had a lot of elite local talent.

Finally they impressed Jay Murphy (ex-BC, NBA, and Euro player) and his son 2012 super prospect Alex Murphy.
In particular, I suggested putting an emphasis on a loaded local Class of 2012, while making Alex Murphy (South Kingstown, R.I./St. Mark's) the prime target.

Murphy said he and his son, who is currently the No. 10 ranked prospect in the Class of 2012, walked away feeling good about the direction of his alma mater's program.

"I was impressed yesterday," Jay Murphy said on Monday. "Camp was well run. I was impressed with the coaching staff and so was Alex."

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 10:58:09 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72

I didnt ask anybody to repost, so not to worry.  Anyways, I think  this Alex Murphey kid could be a real steal for the program, is from MA, Number 10 ranked prospect overall, and his dad is a BC Alum, played basketball at BC, and is in the BC Hall of fame.  If we can't sign him we might as well close up shop.
The team will have to have serious incoming talent to land this kid. I think they have a shot because of the connection (Dad, local guy) - but look at the teams recruiting him: "Texas, Duke, Indiana, Wake Forest, Georgetown and UConn are involved..."

That's a real deal list of schools. Depending on how NBA ready he is (will he go four years? jump after one?) will matter too. I think if they can have a couple of other guys coming in he could join a super class. Especially if they are all good - great college guys, but unlikely to jump early.

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

The team will have to have serious incoming talent to land this kid. I think they have a shot because of the connection (Dad, local guy) - but look at the teams recruiting him: "Texas, Duke, Indiana, Wake Forest, Georgetown and UConn are involved..."

That's a real deal list of schools. Depending on how NBA ready he is (will he go four years? jump after one?) will matter too. I think if they can have a couple of other guys coming in he could join a super class. Especially if they are all good - great college guys, but unlikely to jump early.

That is another thing, BC as a school takes pride in their graduation rates of athletes.  I am not sure how kindly they would take it if one of their top recruits was likely a one and done kinda guy.  I think BC is really hoping he is a singler clone... But better looking.