Poll

do you like the idea proposed below?

Yes
7 (43.8%)
No
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: ticket giveaway idea - thoughts welcome  (Read 6904 times)

ticket giveaway idea - thoughts welcome
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:14:57 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
ok, so maybe you guys can help me out - I'm legitimately struggling with how to do this the right way that will make everyone happy (impossible I know)

I have 2 more ticket giveaways for the regular season - the last night of the year (4/14 vs Bucks) is one of them and has the larger number of tickets (64)

I wanted to get creative and give people who REALLY want the tickets to get the chance to get them without relying completely on luck.

I also want to get people wearing CelticsBlog t-shirts (for the promotional aspect of them, not for profit reasons)

So my original idea was this:

1. Buy a CelticsBlog t-shirt (sponsored by T-Mobile) for $20 including shipping

2. Wear that shirt to a bar near the TD Garden (exact location TBD)

3. The first 32 people that show up at the bar with the shirt on get 2 free tickets. (starting at around 6PM)

4. Anyone else that wants to meet up with a bunch of CelticsBlog fans, can show up at the bar and watch the game there. (note: I can't be there that night)

here's my concern: will you folks hate this idea and accuse me of trying to make a buck?  full disclosure: I'll get a small percentage of proceeds from the tshirt sales, but really nothing worth writing home about and I'll probably use that money to invest into the blog for advertising or something like that (by the way, the $20 price isn't set by me, it is a deal SBN has lined up with all their blogs - and again, it does include shipping)

or will you folks like the idea because it gets people who really want the tickets (and like CelticsBlog) the chance to get tickets AND a t-shirt for $20?

honest thoughts are welcome - I'm really not sure what to do at this point so I thought I'd be as up front with you guys and gals as I can and see what you think
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: ticket giveaway idea - thoughts welcome
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:49:54 AM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
I live on Cape Cod and would love to get tickets, but I can't get them by meeting people somewhere in Boston because I work 6 days a week.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:00:13 AM »

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58
also keep in mind there are a good number of members on the board that are not old enough to go to bars   like myself at 20

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:29:10 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
i think it's an excellent idea, jeff. and there's nothing wrong with sticking a few bucks in the csblog coffers. just make a great t-shirt!

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:48:36 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
On the surface I would agree this is a pretty good idea.  However, the problem is there are a lot of people who live too far away from Boston to take a night out of their week to go to a bar, or any other meeting place, without knowing they would get the tickets.  This does not mean that these said people do not want the tickets.  I would love to go to a game, but work two full time jobs, and can't take a day off to go to a bar.  I could, and would, take a day off to go to a game though.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
It was hard enough trying to get someone to take me to the Dallas game because everyone was busy and no one knew what "Will Call" was.  ::)

I'm 20, so I can't go in a bar either. But even if I was old enough, I don't have a car, so I have to CONVINCE someone in my family to take me to a bar they've never been to that's 2 hours away from where I live with the POSSIBILITY (not reasonable guarantee) that we might get free tickets to a team I may care the most about out of all of them.

May be asking for too much, there.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
First, whatever you decide, you must do it soon.  April 14 is not that far off, and people need time to order and receive their T-Shirts.

Here's a thought that works well for a local breakfast spot.  They give out free bumper stickers.  If you bring them a photo of your car sporting the sticker in an unusual place (for example, next to the entrance sign to the Grand Canyon) you get a free breakfast.

You could ask people to email photos of themselves wearing the Ts in various situations.  Prizes could be awarded by first-come, first serve, or by your assessment of how cool the shot is, or by CB vote.

This gives lots of people a shot, gets the T shirt exposure in lots of places, and encourages creativity.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think this is a great idea depending on how awesome the Celtics blog shirts are. Can you post some pics?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »

Offline irish_celtic_fan

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 23
I have to agree with the general sentiment.  I live about 3 hours from the city, and would make the drive for the game, but there is no chance that I would make the drive for a chance to win tickets.  I think that's a great way to give away a smaller number of tickets, but with that many available, it's generating a pretty big geographic restriction.  Just my two cents.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »

Offline irish_celtic_fan

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 23
Also, TP FatKidsDad!  That's an awesome idea!

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I kinda think ticket giveaways should be free if they're being called "giveaways".
Yup

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 11:45:05 AM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
If you show up at the bar wearing a Master Po Kung Fu shirt....and I am there already I can't guarantee you two tickets but I can promise you a good old fashion butt whippin

Jeff.....like the idea but why not just have everybody register (who can go to the game and who agrees to wear the T-Shirt.....) put the names in a hat a draw one out.....send the tickets and have them take a photo of themselves at the game with the T-Shirt on so you know they wore it.

this way no one has to show up at a bar....unless of course they want old man Po to crack their heads a bit...

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
ok, I didn't expect the distance to be a bigger issue than the cost

theoretically, if you could buy a t-shirt online and be guaranteed a ticket to pick up at will call or perhaps even a neutral site, would that be better?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 11:58:40 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

theoretically, if you could buy a t-shirt online and be guaranteed a ticket to pick up at will call or perhaps even a neutral site, would that be better?

I live 2 hours away, so this sounds like a better idea to me.

I think preference should be given to a poster if they ALREADY own a Celticsblog shirt. (hint, hint, that's me ;) I own a Caped Cod shirt too!)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Jeff, not trying to be a stickler on the cost issue because it's certainly still a good deal, but if the idea of these tickets are for them to be promotional, why require people to purchase something?
Yup