Author Topic: Igor Kokoškov - 1st European head coach in the NBA  (Read 3284 times)

Re: Igor Kokoškov - 1st European head coach in the NBA
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
It took America 526 years to hire a European basketball head coach, but today Igor Kokoškov became the first to have the honor. This 46 years old Serbian continues a great tradition of winning Serbian coaches on a high note. Since the 2000/2001 season, he worked in the league, starting with the L.A.Clippers. He worked as a Utah Jazz assistant coach past 3 years. Past summer he took a dual role, he also coached Slovenian national team and unlikely won the European championship in a convincing fashion. Dragić led the way, Dončić followed. The latter might be leading the break for him next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Koko%C5%A1kov

I believe that he is a great choice for the young and struggling Suns. He will bring a new breeze of fresh air in the valley, new principles, good communication, contemporary approach and he is still young, innovative and hungry.

Isn't Dragan Bender a Croat? Wonder how that's going to work out.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 10:58:12 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It took America 526 years to hire a European basketball head coach

Basketball has not been around that long.

The game was invented in 1891 by Dr. James Naismith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball

127 years?
526 years ago puts us in year 1492, which is when Columbus reached land in the Western Hemispehere (Caribbean Islands). So I'm guessing the OP is hung up on the fact that Columbus didn't hire any European head coaches to coach the colonies.

That's always been my biggest issue with Columbus.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!

127 years?
526 years ago puts us in year 1492, which is when Columbus reached land in the Western Hemispehere (Caribbean Islands). So I'm guessing the OP is hung up on the fact that Columbus didn't hire any European head coaches to coach the colonies.

Freakin' Colombus...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
It took America 526 years to hire a European basketball head coach, but today Igor Kokoškov became the first to have the honor. This 46 years old Serbian continues a great tradition of winning Serbian coaches on a high note. Since the 2000/2001 season, he worked in the league, starting with the L.A.Clippers. He worked as a Utah Jazz assistant coach past 3 years. Past summer he took a dual role, he also coached Slovenian national team and unlikely won the European championship in a convincing fashion. Dragić led the way, Dončić followed. The latter might be leading the break for him next year.

I believe that he is a great choice for the young and struggling Suns. He will bring a new breeze of fresh air in the valley, new principles, good communication, contemporary approach and he is still young, innovative and hungry.

Absolutely no problem....

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

127 years?

But Columbus WAS a European.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 03:05:47 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Absolutely no problem....
Ederson is right.
Serbo-Croatian conflicts are mainly deriving from politicians these days. To boost their popularity by sounding very tough while bluffing. The vast majority of normal young people, like healthy athletes, don't live in the past.

Kokoškov hire is an absolute win for Bender.
The main reasons:
- He will have a home voice in the locker room. Serbs and Croats share the similar, almost identical, language.
- Kokoškov has a great reputation for developing young players.
- The fact is that Bender can't have any worse coaching, teammates, and teams tanking ambitions than he did so far, so there will be some natural progression there. His coaches basically told him to stand at the 3pt line at all times, and that he shouldn't step inside like there is some kind of puddle there since there is noone else on the team that can shoot from the outside. Jackson, T.J.Warren, Chriss, any Sun's center (Len, Chandler, Monroe) any Sun's PG (Payton, Uliss, Bledsoe). 0 spacing, the leagues 30th offense.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:23:41 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 03:40:45 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
he did take advantage of the moment... he was the national coach of a team with the 2 best players dragic and donsic... probably a good coach but in europe there are better coaches out there... obradovic pasqual itoudis are better