Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113787 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2017, 07:06:51 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Bball breakdowns analysis of Doncic so far:

https://youtu.be/uu_Ejkd8N8E

I put alot of stock in the xs and os of coach Nicks analysis of prospects, and he believes that Doncic is a PG offensively
#JKJB

« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2017, 07:11:59 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I put alot of stock in the xs and os of coach Nicks analysis of prospects, and he believes that Doncic is a PG offensively

When I see Doncic, I think Hayward. Is that a wrong assessment? I don't watch a lot of European basketball.

He seems comfortable with the ball in his hands, has a good sense of the game, and can shoot. Appears to be a jack of all trades player, but does he have a couple elite skills? I'm not sure.

I like Hayward and am happy that he is here, but I don't think that he is a top 15 player in the NBA. I'm hoping to hit a HR with a top 3-5 pick, and I'm not sure that Doncic is that guy. Can someone (pref. someone that knows a little about the guy) convince me that he's a game changer?

« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2017, 09:18:50 PM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades

When I see Doncic, I think Hayward. Is that a wrong assessment? I don't watch a lot of European basketball.

He seems comfortable with the ball in his hands, has a good sense of the game, and can shoot. Appears to be a jack of all trades player, but does he have a couple elite skills? I'm not sure.

I like Hayward and am happy that he is here, but I don't think that he is a top 15 player in the NBA. I'm hoping to hit a HR with a top 3-5 pick, and I'm not sure that Doncic is that guy. Can someone (pref. someone that knows a little about the guy) convince me that he's a game changer?

He already IS a game-changer in highest level of competition outside of NBA, at the age of 18. The question is whether he can continue to do so in NBA.

« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2017, 11:06:40 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I don't see this comp. Hayward is a conventional wing scorer - nothing really unusual about his game, he's just all-around really good on offense. Doncic is more of a unique talent with his elite PG skills at 6'8. The only good comp I can think of for Doncic is Magic, although obviously he's more likely to be a top 20ish player like Hayward than he is to be greatest PG of all time.

« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2017, 11:24:36 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Nick's comp of Doncic was Danilo Galinari. Definitely a good player. That seems more likely than Magic Johnson.

« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2017, 11:32:07 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Not sure if they don't respect his 3 point shot or the defense was just p--- poor in that highlight clip.  He was wide open by about 10 feet on all those 3s and guys were going way under the pick every time.

« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2017, 11:34:35 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

This dude couldn't hold Hayward's Jock. Hayward is a very good athlete, this guy can barely get over the rim. He's lucky he's too tall, I'll pass and go with Homegrown USA talent in the top 5.

« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2017, 01:11:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

This dude couldn't hold Hayward's Jock. Hayward is a very good athlete, this guy can barely get over the rim. He's lucky he's too tall, I'll pass and go with Homegrown USA talent in the top 5.
They're not really similar players.

But to say that Doncic is only running the point on arguably the best non-NBA club at 18 years old because he's "too tall" is ridiculous, and goes to show that you really don't know much about him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2017, 02:58:55 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

But to say that Doncic is only running the point on arguably the best non-NBA club at 18 years old because he's "too tall" is ridiculous, and goes to show that you really don't know much about him.

I didn't say that. If he wasn't 6'8" he wouldn't even be a top prospect. I don't see why he's being talked about so much, he's not a good fit for the Celtics. Unless of course we don't pay Thomas.

He's a point guard basically that won't be able to defend point guards. His jumper has a very slow release, slower than Tatum's.

And if you wanna call him a point forward fine, but he's nowhere near the Athletes that Hayward, Tatum, or Brown is.

He's ranked #2 right now, my prediction is he falls  a couple spots when the process is finished. For the Celtics anyway
 I would take Bamba, Ayton, or certainly Porter JR over him.

« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2017, 03:31:49 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He doesn't need to be any where near the athlete that Hayward, Brown, or Tatum is.  His talent level is off the charts.  He gets his 3 off from the dribble faster than any one but IT on this roster.  With his size, bball IQ, and state of the NBA, that's just scary.  He's going to be a great player.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2017, 04:07:00 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
He doesn't need to be any where near the athlete that Hayward, Brown, or Tatum is.  His talent level is off the charts.  He gets his 3 off from the dribble faster than any one but IT on this roster.  With his size, bball IQ, and state of the NBA, that's just scary.  He's going to be a great player.

Do you really think we need him though? Isn't Porter JR and Ayton better fits.

« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2017, 04:54:15 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Do you really think we need him though? Isn't Porter JR and Ayton better fits.
BPA, always BPA. Fill the gaps after

« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2017, 04:55:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I didn't say that. If he wasn't 6'8" he wouldn't even be a top prospect. I don't see why he's being talked about so much, he's not a good fit for the Celtics. Unless of course we don't pay Thomas.

He's a point guard basically that won't be able to defend point guards. His jumper has a very slow release, slower than Tatum's.

And if you wanna call him a point forward fine, but he's nowhere near the Athletes that Hayward, Tatum, or Brown is.

He's ranked #2 right now, my prediction is he falls  a couple spots when the process is finished. For the Celtics anyway
 I would take Bamba, Ayton, or certainly Porter JR over him.
You're completely wrong when you say that he's only a top prospect because he's tall. That's ridiculous. He's got the highest BBIQ out of all the top prospects, and can control the game unlike many.
You say he's not a good fit, which is pretty weird considering we only have one real point guard on the roster and he might be getting max money. His lack of speed is very exaggerated, especially when so many point guards score off of mismatches made through the P&R, hence Brad liking "positionless" versatile guys - aka Doncic.

I don't think Porter fits better, but I would probably take Ayton over him, depending on their years. Bagley above them all.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2017, 07:30:40 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
For the life of me I don't understand how people who watched the Celtics last year, especially in the playoffs, are concerned that Doncic is too slow to defend NBA PGs, and that since he's a PG, it's a problem.  IT is 5'9" and can't defend NBA PGs regularly, so they threw him on taller, low usage wings, whom he gave up 8-12 inches to.  Doncic is a foot taller -- the Celtics can throw him on those low usage wings the very same way, except they wouldn't have a height disadvantage.

And even if you think I'm wrong about the above, and that he will be forced to guard those 6'2" PG, logically that means that they'll have to guard him.  And that's going to work completely to his advantage, as he'll have no trouble getting his shot off nor seeing over them to make whatever pass he wants.

I personally don't think the athleticism/quickness thing is actually set in stone -- he's just 18 and those attributes are probably still catching up to his size a fair bit.  But he's got elite skills and an elite ability to see the court on both ends.  He can be a star with only average athleticism.

« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2017, 09:18:53 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
It would be extremely helpful to watch a couple of games and not just YouTube highlights. I don't think people realise that doncic at 18 is for second year key part of a team competing of in the highest level in the toughest league not named NBA... Paul wasn't a key member of Barcelona when drafted, Jenkins who was considered top prospect played in Italy, a lower level league compared to Spain, and barely made any impact.

I don't know if he fits or not but Doncic is the best 18year old in Europe the last 20 years
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:55:49 AM by ederson »