Author Topic: Sean Grande will not be Gorman's replacement  (Read 49017 times)

Re: Sean Grande will not be Gorman's replacement
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2023, 10:43:41 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
This is what we have in store...

https://twitter.com/BOSSportsGordo/status/1710013405073981915

I said he's got the voice.  He's a natural like Joe Buck is but he's on a local broadcast.  If he doesn't favor the local team and get excited for our C's like Tommy, Mike and even Scal it will tick me off.  Every time I have to watch an out of market broadcast with the other team announcers it's all homers.  I want my celtic homer who agrees with me that the ref's are trying to screw the C's and that the C's are the best team on the planet with the best fans on the planet.

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2023, 10:56:05 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I'm sure he'll do a competent job. The broadcasting field is so competitive right now that for this kid to have graduated in I believe 2019 and be the selection over Grande, he must be very good.  However I would expect that he'll have his eye on something bigger, so this won't be his last job. He may not be here more than a couple of years.

What concerns me (as someone who can only stomach our broadcasts because of Gorman) is that Carter hasn't been around the league much, if at all - something I've always appreciated about Gorman and Grande.

I was hoping it would be Grande. But broadcasting - like the NBA itself if you're a player or coach, can be a cruel business.

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2023, 10:58:38 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I'm sure he'll do a competent job. The broadcasting field is so competitive right now that for this kid to have graduated in I believe 2019 and be the selection over Grande, he must be very good.  However I would expect that he'll have his eye on something bigger, so this won't be his last job. He may not be here more than a couple of years.

What concerns me (as someone who can only stomach our broadcasts because of Gorman) is that Carter hasn't been around the league much, if at all - something I've always appreciated about Gorman and Grande.

I was hoping it would be Grande. But broadcasting - like the NBA itself if you're a player or coach, can be a cruel business.

Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. is bigger than being the Celtics play by play? TNT? ESPN? i say HOGWASH!
ok fine

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2023, 11:07:57 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Most major national play-by-play guys have a team gig as well. Carter has a terrific play call, so if he is Gorman’s full time replacement next year and beyond, as expected, we might one day lose him for a handful of Sundays or Mondays for football, but we’d still have him the vast majority of games.

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2023, 12:32:59 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I said he's got the voice.  He's a natural like Joe Buck is but he's on a local broadcast.

It's funny, I thought the same thing, but in the negative.

I hate Joe Buck.  I don't like his sound.  He has that stereotypical fake vanilla almost-monotonish-but-not-quite personalityless sounding broadcaster voice.

My personal view is this: can you picture sitting around the dinner table and having a random conversation with Joe Buck?  I can't.  Whereas guys like Gorman, Grande, even our old friend Kyle Draper have more of a "casual conversation" voice.  These are the type of people I want to sit around the table talking with, and these are the people I want to hear broadcasting games.  Even guys like Breen or Mark Jones, I see them more like regular person (with personality) who turns on their broadcasting voice for work, as opposed to strait-laced Joe Buck or the Joe Buck clones.

On a related note, since the ESPN layoffs earlier in the year, I've been wondering how important the broadcast teams even are?  Do they really impact ratings at all?  I've never turned a game on or off because of the broadcast team, except in situations where there's a simultaneous national and local broadcast, I'll go with the team I prefer more, but usually there's no competition.

I really liked Van Gundy, but I don't see myself watching more or less games because he's not there now.  I'm going to watch the same amount of games while ABC/ESPN saves a ton of money.  Is a casual fan drawn in because of the broadcast crew or because of the action on the field/court?  Do these networks really need to invest much at all in the broadcast crew? 

I guess the most extreme is people like BitterJim who mute the game, and miss the sponsored plugs for the American Express half time report, or the FanDuel replay, etc.  But I would think even that would be so extreme and minor, it's not really worth investing more in the broadcast team.

Do other people view it differently?  Of course we'd all prefer a broadcast team we really enjoy, but in the end for the majority of fans, does it really matter or influence anything?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2023, 02:02:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

That's my concern as well. Gorman had a deep knowledge of the NBA, whereas this guy could be calling NBA, NFL, MLB, he doesn't seem to care. Maybe they view his young age as a positive factor and hope to keep him long term as he learns the league.

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2023, 05:19:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I said he's got the voice.  He's a natural like Joe Buck is but he's on a local broadcast.  If he doesn't favor the local team and get excited for our C's like Tommy, Mike and even Scal it will tick me off.  Every time I have to watch an out of market broadcast with the other team announcers it's all homers.  I want my celtic homer who agrees with me that the ref's are trying to screw the C's and that the C's are the best team on the planet with the best fans on the planet.

Joe Buck got his start due to nepotism not his voice....

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2023, 09:04:27 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

That's my concern as well. Gorman had a deep knowledge of the NBA, whereas this guy could be calling NBA, NFL, MLB, he doesn't seem to care. Maybe they view his young age as a positive factor and hope to keep him long term as he learns the league.

We're comparing 41 years of Mike Gorman with this kid, which isn't entirely fair on him. But as fans you can only compare an incoming person with the one he replaces, and he's got some big shoes to fill. But I'm willing to give him some slack. I was too young to remember who Mike replaced in 1981, but I do remember Mike saying he came with a sheet of paper of the things they were going to talk about and Tommy took it and tore it up and said "we're going to talk about what's in front of us". And Mike adapted and learned  :police: hopefully this Drew Carter does the same.

Also, young doesn't necessarily mean bad...the replacement for Dave O'Brien with the Red Sox, Matt Monaco, is pretty decent and I think he's young too, late 20s or early 30s? In any case, we'll see. We're hard markers here in Boston, so young Drew better avoid his Twitter or X of whatever they call it now after his first called game  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2023, 09:34:42 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

We're comparing 41 years of Mike Gorman with this kid, which isn't entirely fair on him. But as fans you can only compare an incoming person with the one he replaces, and he's got some big shoes to fill. But I'm willing to give him some slack. I was too young to remember who Mike replaced in 1981, but I do remember Mike saying he came with a sheet of paper of the things they were going to talk about and Tommy took it and tore it up and said "we're going to talk about what's in front of us". And Mike adapted and learned  :police: hopefully this Drew Carter does the same.

Also, young doesn't necessarily mean bad...the replacement for Dave O'Brien with the Red Sox, Matt Monaco, is pretty decent and I think he's young too, late 20s or early 30s? In any case, we'll see. We're hard markers here in Boston, so young Drew better avoid his Twitter or X of whatever they call it now after his first called game  :police:

I hope so too, but Scal is no Tommy. Of course, if Carter is smart then he'll take advantage of Mike working this season (and, hopefully, available to give advice/answer questions for a long time after this season) to learn from one of the best.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2023, 12:28:44 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Who did Mike replace when he and Tommy took over in 1981?
ok fine

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2023, 02:23:05 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

I don’t recall a Celtics broadcaster prior to Gorman and/or Heinsohn other than Johnny Most or Glen Ordway.  Johnny was definitely radio and I think I recall him on TV too. Celtics weren’t on TV every game back in the day. The main source for Celtics games was radio.  Most and Glen Ordway was the radio team for some time and I think Ordway took over for Most on radio for a while after Most retired.  Heinsohn also did national TV games.

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2023, 05:46:33 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don’t recall a Celtics broadcaster prior to Gorman and/or Heinsohn other than Johnny Most or Glen Ordway.  Johnny was definitely radio and I think I recall him on TV too. Celtics weren’t on TV every game back in the day. The main source for Celtics games was radio.  Most and Glen Ordway was the radio team for some time and I think Ordway took over for Most on radio for a while after Most retired.  Heinsohn also did national TV games.

They weren’t on cable until 1981 so no one preceded Gorman.

When I was kid, it was Gorman/Heinsohn on Sportschannel & Santos/Cousy on regular TV.  Then it became Heinsohn & Cousy.  I don’t think they’ve been on regular TV since the 1990s.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2023, 06:51:16 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

They weren’t on cable until 1981 so no one preceded Gorman.

When I was kid, it was Gorman/Heinsohn on Sportschannel & Santos/Cousy on regular TV.  Then it became Heinsohn & Cousy.  I don’t think they’ve been on regular TV since the 1990s.

Cousy of course!  And good one with Santos - Pats and Celts.

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2023, 08:43:39 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I listen to home broadcasting of Celtics .  Most others are automatically muted.  The worse for me are Cleveland and Houston clubs . 

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2023, 11:27:13 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I listen to home broadcasting of Celtics .  Most others are automatically muted.  The worse for me are Cleveland and Houston clubs .

The cavs are the worst.  I used to live in Columbus, OH.  If I had to hear laying the hammer down one more flipping time.