Author Topic: The Season from HELL.... Just End and at this point  (Read 8308 times)

Re: The Season from HELL.... Just End and at this point
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 11:56:36 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
LOL. Can we start a sticky thread that's like the opposite of the "pep-rally, feel good positive only" thread.

Just venting, hating on bench guys, hating on starters, hating on anything really.

(Sidenote: bring back rondo)

Lol

Here's a video to help people visualize such a thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZgVRJ-H8U

Hell, the Celts could end up playing better if they did this to one another during games.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:01:39 AM by gpap »

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm quite confused at Kyries statement today. In one moment he's saying let's just get these 11 games over and get to the playoffs. Then he's saying that they're still trying to work on some chemistry things.

Well which one is it? I hate his approach to these games. He acts like he's just going to go berserk in the playoffs and regular season games are a waste of time.

Maybe he's just excited because this will be his first playoff without Bron.

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Honestly it's more like the season from "Meh."

The season is disappointing precisely because the pre-season expectation was that they would win 55-60+ games and be in a position to contend for the Finals, if not a title.

Instead, they've been a merely "good" team that quite obviously, at this point, lacks the "extra gear" or focus to be "great."

The Celtics are a good team that will make the playoffs and may enjoy home court advantage in round one.  Hard to call any season that ends that way as a major disaster. 

At the same time, they're clearly not a *serious* playoff team.

Serious playoff teams don't drop so many games to bad opponents on random nights in the regular season.

Serious playoff teams especially don't allow games against quality opponents to get away from them the way the Celts have numerous times this season, most recently at the end of the 3rd / start of the 4th against the Nuggets.

There will be major questions this off-season about what the core of this team will be moving forward, since the core group so deeply underachieved this season.

It has been quite a long time since a Celtics team fell 10+ wins shy of their pre-season Vegas over/under.  Even longer since a disappointment of that magnitude that wasn't tied to tanking or injuries or both.

All of that said, the content in the OP is way over the top.  There's plenty to feel good about with where the Celts stand moving forward.  They have plenty of draft assets, plenty of talent on the roster, a decent cap situation, a very good (if not great) coach, a great GM, and one of the best ownership groups in sports.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 01:34:53 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

There will be major questions this off-season about what the core of this team will be moving forward, since the core group so deeply underachieved this season.

The book has yet to be written on that part.  We have no idea what the playoffs have in store. 

Regular season? Sure, I can understand the frustration but there is still a lot to be written about this season and I certainly don't think people should be writing them off yet.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Is that you Isaiah Thomas?

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 02:13:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

The book has yet to be written on that part.  We have no idea what the playoffs have in store. 

Regular season? Sure, I can understand the frustration but there is still a lot to be written about this season and I certainly don't think people should be writing them off yet.

You're right -- we don't know what will happen in the playoffs.

I feel that I've seen enough from them, though.

I had very high hopes for the Irving - Brown - Tatum - Hayward - Horford group but I haven't seen much evidence that those 5 can really thrive together.

Also, to be honest, I'm feeling somewhat emotionally disconnected from the team because of the following factors:

1. Danny is going to try hard to trade multiple core pieces for Anthony Davis around the time of the draft.

2. If Danny is not able to trade for Davis, I think Kyrie is likely to sign with another team.

So either Tatum and/or Brown plus other pieces get traded for AD, in which case we have a totally different team, or we don't trade for AD, Kyrie leaves, and we still have a very different team.

On top of that there's the small but greater than zero chance that Horford opts out of his deal and goes elsewhere.  Suffice it to say that Horford leaving would be an even bigger change in the foundation of the team than Kyrie leaving.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 02:23:17 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I also don’t care much about the playoffs at this point... this can change though lol

I don’t care much whether Kyrie and Horford leave in the summer.. We need motivated players anyway. I would sign Noel or valanciunas to 3 yr contract at small money and colisson from the pacers to 3yr $50M and make all the draft picks and see what a core of smart brown and Tatum can do

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Don't think I'm at this level of frustration just yet, but must admit I'm getting to the I don't care that much point.

My reason is really pretty simple. They have the pieces, and play really well on occasion, but than they revert back to awful. I really can't name a player who has played consistently well on this name. Not one of the younger players have gotten better this year, as one might expect them to. As a matter of fact, some have regressed. 

For whatever reason the sum is less then the parts. I truly hope they trade Tatum for AD. Love Tatum, but don't think he will ever reach his potential here. Going to NOLA, where he can dominate the ball might be the best thing for him. This team needs players who can play together.
Sometimes teams just don't meld well. 

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

You're right -- we don't know what will happen in the playoffs.

I feel that I've seen enough from them, though.

I had very high hopes for the Irving - Brown - Tatum - Hayward - Horford group but I haven't seen much evidence that those 5 can really thrive together.

Also, to be honest, I'm feeling somewhat emotionally disconnected from the team because of the following factors:

1. Danny is going to try hard to trade multiple core pieces for Anthony Davis around the time of the draft.

2. If Danny is not able to trade for Davis, I think Kyrie is likely to sign with another team.

So either Tatum and/or Brown plus other pieces get traded for AD, in which case we have a totally different team, or we don't trade for AD, Kyrie leaves, and we still have a very different team.

On top of that there's the small but greater than zero chance that Horford opts out of his deal and goes elsewhere.  Suffice it to say that Horford leaving would be an even bigger change in the foundation of the team than Kyrie leaving.

The team could absorb Kyrie's loss without missing a beat (they might actually be better without him).  Horford on the other hand is pretty much a low key unicorn and has been for his career.  If he walks without a legit star to replace him the team in its current iteration probably get's blown up and the "rebuild" goes on for another decade.

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 02:51:14 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
I'm not expecting much this year. A 2nd round exit wouldn't surprise me.

This team could've been really good, but too much drama from the two guys that were out last year. Placating and watching them trying to get them acclimated has been exhausting as a fan

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 02:52:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Horford on the other hand is pretty much a low key unicorn and has been for his career.  If he walks without a legit star to replace him the team in its current iteration probably get's blown up and the "rebuild" goes on for another decade.

I agree, I think the two most indispensable players on the team right now are Horford and Smart.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 03:12:14 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Horford on the other hand is pretty much a low key unicorn and has been for his career.  If he walks without a legit star to replace him the team in its current iteration probably get's blown up and the "rebuild" goes on for another decade.

I agree, I think the two most indispensable players on the team right now are Horford and Smart.

I agree with this. I may add Tatum to that group as well.

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 03:51:06 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I really couldn't possibly care less what happens in the offseason, who we keep, wo leaves, who we draft...….. I'm so frustrated, bored, and sick of this team, it's coaches, it's players, literally, everything about it, that I think I prefer they get swept in the first round and become the biggest embarrassment/laughing stock of the NBA and it's postseason. This is the least fun I've ever had as a fan, I mean I had more fun and more interest in the Celtics back when we were the laughing stock of the NBA with Dana Barros leading the team in scoring and getting beyond shafted in the lottery. This team sucks, the coaches suck, and every day it becomes clearer and clearer that Danny -- you guessed it -- sucks.

Just get this wretched conglomeration of clowns off our court and out of our uniform and out of town. It makes me sick this circus show is representing such a storied franchise and city. I don't even have hope in the slightest in any of our younger supposed potential-filled "stars-in-the-making." Get them the eff out of here too and put some players on the floor who will bust their ass for this city, organization,and fanbase and take pride playing here for us and this organization. I'm sick of the stupid phrase "potential" and , never mind, I'm just so sick of it all. I'd rather them get totally humiliated in the 1st round of the playoffs(que Jim Mora) and ownership completely clean house from top to bottom and even bring in the Harlem Globetrotters or 14 random guys from a ruckers park pickup game and roll them out next year and every single player from this years team(and all the coaches) be so humiliated from this entire season and playoff exit that their careers all go down the toilet into the biggest septic tank in Boston or wherever they end up, which is where they belong.

The organization should be paying random homeless people off the streets of Boston to show up at the Garden for home games and sit there not even cheering or paying attention to this abomination of a bum circuit and rather let them sit in the seats drinking or shooting their drugs instead of fans having to pay to watch this wannabe spin off of Barnum and Bailey's.

Icing on the cake is to completely bomb every draft choice they get this year, which wouldn't be far from Danny's norm in the first place. Just get this awful season over already and this entire clown show out of this city. I don't even have faith in Jaylen or Jayson ever turning into much of anything at this point. This whole team sucks. BOUNCE. JUST GET OUT OF HERE!

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Season from Hell?

How about 1987 for 1000, Alex....

This was right after Bias passed....Man I was still a bit hopeful for our C's but you could just FEEL that there was a dark cloud forming over the team even then...

They ALL seemed older...slower......this was RIGHT AFTER they had won Banner 16 and drafted Bias.........

But they DID....they barely beat DET - if not for Larry and DJ's MIRACULOUS "STEAL BY BIRD!!!!"

Then The Lakers....Man they seemed SO MUCH FASTER than us...Michael Cooper was giving Larry fits....Magic seemed to float on air...Worthy's first step was DEADLY....Kareem's sky Hook RARELY missed.....

That heartbreaker was THIS SHOT...

Over the outstretched hands of two of the best defenders in the game.

So take THAT gut punch from Magic, add in the cloud of Bias...yeah "THAT" - IMO - was the season from Hell. You could just SENSE the foreboding and the decline and there was not a THING we could do about it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:26:18 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 05:01:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Season from Hell?

How about 1987 for 1000, Alex....

This was right after Bias passed....Man I was still a bit hopeful for our C's but you could just FEEL that there was a dark cloud forming over the team even then...

They ALL seemed older...slower......this was RIGHT AFTER they had won Banner 16 and drafted Bias.........

But they DID....they barely beat DET - if not for Larry and DJ's MIRACULOUS "STEAL BY BIRD!!!!"

Then The Lakers....Man they seemed SO MUCH FASTER than us...Michael Cooper was giving Larry fits....Magic seemed to float on air...Worthy's first step was DEADLY....Kareem's sky Hook RARELY missed.....

That heartbreaker was THIS SHOT...

Over the outstretched hands of two of the best defenders in the game.

So take THAT gut punch from Magic, add in the cloud of Bias...yeah "THAT" - IMO - was the season from Hell. You could just SENSE the foreboding and the decline and there was not a THING we could do about it.
For me the season from hell was 1993-94. Reggie died in the summer. The league gave the Celtics no cap help to help replace Lewis. And the team was awful and played with absolutely no passion all year. I was a gigantic Reggie Lewis fan. My heart hurt all that year.