Author Topic: I need Report writing advise.  (Read 11542 times)

I need Report writing advise.
« on: April 24, 2008, 12:54:38 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
WRITE A SHORT REPORT BASED ON THE FOLLOWING SENERIO:

WHILE ON DUTY AT COMPANY X ON THE OVERNIGHT SHIFT, YOU HEAR GLASS BREAK AND REALIZE SOMEONE HAS ENTERED THE FACILITY. ONCE THE INTRUDER REALIZED SECURITY WAS IN THE BUILDING THEY FLED THE SCENE. BEFORING FLEEING, YOU HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO WITNESS THE SUSPECT

My Answer:

On Thursday,  April 24, 2008 At approximatly 3:35 AM a white male in his mid 20's with dark hair and a gray hooded sweatshirt entered into facility 1 by shattering the glass door of the main entrance. The suspect fled the scene immediately following the forced entrance in a white Bronco.  I was able to zoom in on the license plate number of the suspect which was a MA plate number - 0189f53

How is this? What would you change?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: I need Report writing advise.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:12:58 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

WHILE ON DUTY AT COMPANY X ON THE OVERNIGHT SHIFT, YOU HEAR GLASS BREAK AND REALIZE SOMEONE HAS ENTERED THE FACILITY. ONCE THE INTRUDER REALIZED SECURITY WAS IN THE BUILDING THEY FLED THE SCENE. BEFORING FLEEING, YOU HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO WITNESS THE SUSPECT

My Answer:

On Thursday,  April 24, 2008 At approximatly 3:35 AM a white male in his mid 20's with dark hair and a gray hooded sweatshirt entered into facility 1 by shattering the glass door of the main entrance. The suspect fled the scene immediately following the forced entrance in a white Bronco.  I was able to zoom in on the license plate number of the suspect which was a MA plate number - 0189f53

Maybe mention the bloody glove?

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:14:37 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Ha-ha come on man seriously :)

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:17:43 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
im surprised it aint a brotha...

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 01:23:31 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
first of all aint nobody gonna rob no place when it's 3:35am when it's  dark ridin up in a big white bronco...*u didnt say big but they are*....then u tell me he white...?..no ski mask to cover his grill...?...and it's on a thursday one of the biziest days of the week....sumthing about the scene aint kosher...

not realistic...

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 01:27:01 AM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Why are we getting into this? Whats next?
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 01:38:33 AM »

Offline Amir

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 48
first of all aint nobody gonna rob no place when it's 3:35am when it's  dark ridin up in a big white bronco...*u didnt say big but they are*....then u tell me he white...?..no ski mask to cover his grill...?...and it's on a thursday one of the biziest days of the week....sumthing about the scene aint kosher...

not realistic...

hahaha, im surprised its not a brotha as well.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:50:55 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Your report should include a rough estimate of height / weight.  Also, it's pretty unlikely that any eye witness would be able to be as specific as "mid-twenties", especially if he's in a hoodie.  You would have had to literally be right on top of him, and yet you didn't apprehend him, making you pretty much the worst security guard in the world.

Also, how did you zoom in on the license plate?  If you're sitting behind a desk with cameras, then how was it the suspect realized security was in the building?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 07:29:28 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The important thing to do in a practice of this sort is to cover all of the necessary details.  Since it is a "fake" story you could say an ostrich broke into the store and it would have as much validity to the function of the process as distinguishing between a "brutha" or a "white guy" or whatever, would.  Think of it like your drawing up a template for a Mad Lib.  The actual facts aren't as important to this assignment as the questions that elicit the proper response is. 

Looks like you covered most of the important questions.  Roy's suggestion of height is a good one.  IMO, I wouldn't worry about supporting the "how's" for this process.  I'd assume that if this was a real scenario the "how's" would be self evident (ie: either you would have been able to zoom in and see the license plate or not, and you would report it as such)
Yup

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 07:33:59 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'd assume that if this was a real scenario the "how's" would be self evident (ie: either you would have been able to zoom in and see the license plate or not, and you would report it as such)

True, but it's got to be realistic.  Remember, you're trying not to give the defense attorney gaping holes to drive through on cross-examination.  (And yes, I know it's a security guard rather than an officer, but the same principles apply.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 07:36:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I know.  I'm just a big "function" kinda guy.  The idea is to learn the process, so the facts are interchangeable if it's the function you are learning.  We can assume the facts would be actual facts if it was an actual scenario (unless you're lying, but that's a whole separate set of rules  8) - not that I'd know anything about that)
Yup

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 07:41:04 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
hey,do your own homework for class,****

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 09:23:07 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Why are we getting into this? Whats next?

Because the most intelligent people I have access to are here on this site.  ;)

Thanks for the feedback, I thought I would forget something important (Height and Weight estimate) I revised and will go with this

"On Thursday,  April 24, 2008 At  1:16 AM: A white male with dark hair who looked to be approximately 6 foot, 190 pounds, wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt entered into the Millipore facility  by shattering the glass door of the main entrance. The suspect fled the scene immediately following the forced entrance in a blue Dodge Stratus, MA License  plate number - 0189f53."

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 09:23:35 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

My Answer:

Maybe mention the bloody glove?

I would get rid of the white Bronco. It does sound like you are making reference to OJ. Make it a blue Grand Am with a busted tail light.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 10:11:52 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
How bout  6'9 White Red haired man who has been reported missing for 1 week... an odd chant seems to be following him as he leaves
When you love life, life loves you right back