Author Topic: nba restore 5-5 play draft combine  (Read 1804 times)

nba restore 5-5 play draft combine
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11633981/nba-restore-5-5-play-draft-combine

"Prior to 2009, the league utilized a 5-on-5 format at what was then called "the pre-draft camp" in Orlando, Florida, and Chicago. However, then-commissioner David Stern changed the format early in 2009 after teams complained that the top prospects were no longer participating in the games. The pre-draft camp had devolved into a series of meaningless pickup games between mostly second-round prospects.

The switch to the new drills-based format opened space for more of the top prospects to participate. However, in the past few years, numerous top prospects have refused to participate even in the drills portion of the combine."

Good idea that it will be brought back

Re: nba restore 5-5 play draft combine
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Orlando, Florida.... you mean instead of the *other* Orlando?  ???

Sorry as a Floridian that jumped out that they didn't identify Chicago, Illinois.

</threadhighjacking>

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Sorry as a Floridian that jumped out that they didn't identify Chicago, Illinois.

</threadhighjacking>

To continue the thread hijack, Wikipedia informs me that there is also an Orlando in Oklahoma, while there is no other Chicago.  But I agree with you -- I thought there were three camps initially, one in Orlando, one in Florida, and one in Chicago, thanks to the extra comma and place name.  I had to re-read it to correct myself.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
This seems pointless.

Prior to 2009 - NBA had 5-on-5 play at the combine.

Result:  Teams complained, because top prospects skipped, and it became a bunch of  meaningless pickup games between mostly second-round prospects.

Solution:  NBA moved to skill based drills. 

Result:  Top prospects still skipped.

Solution: Return to 5-on-5 play.

Why won't this lead to the exact same problems the teams complained about before?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This seems pointless.

Result:  Teams complained, because top prospects skipped, and it became a bunch of  meaningless pickup games between mostly second-round prospects.

Why won't this lead to the exact same problems the teams complained about before?

If the top prospects are going to skip anyways, you might as well get more information about the second-tier prospects.  What will lead teams to complain is if the next tier of prospects also skip out of games and only do workouts.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 04:00:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This seems pointless.

bc either way the top 10-15 are going to skip

This way though you get to see guys from 15-undrafted go at it. Much better indication of what kind of player they are vs a guy able to jump 40 " vert or having 7'5 wingspan

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Since they are now televising the draft combines and got a ton of complaints about how boring watching just the drills portions of the combine was, I think this has more to do with placating the fans for television than it does trying to get teams any more info than what they already get with everything else happening at the combine. Really believe it has absolutely nothing to do with which players are or are not participating in anything. As they have seen, the top players are probably going to skip as much of the combine as they can so as long as that is a reality, let's spice up the combine and make it more presentable for television.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 04:38:33 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

</threadhighjacking>

To continue the thread hijack, Wikipedia informs me that there is also an Orlando in Oklahoma, while there is no other Chicago.  But I agree with you -- I thought there were three camps initially, one in Orlando, one in Florida, and one in Chicago, thanks to the extra comma and place name.  I had to re-read it to correct myself.

There is East Chicago, Indiana however.  It confused me to no end my first few months in Chicago.