Author Topic: Billy Walker's playing tonite -- is he being showcased?  (Read 3904 times)

Billy Walker's playing tonite -- is he being showcased?
« on: January 20, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
just throwin' it out there...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Billy Walker's playing tonite -- is he being showcased?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:21:06 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I thought the same thing... I don't know, but it could be the case since he has never played before garbage time this season until now.

Also, Eddie and TA are looking pretty good and playing with a lot of energy, maybe they heard the trade rumors and want to change Danny's mind?

Edit : well, Billy has played 2:38 minutes and he is already back on the bench...

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:22:15 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Probably.

Sucks a little, I like Bill.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I thought the same thing... I don't know, but it could be the case since he has never played before garbage time this season until now.

Also, Eddie and TA are looking pretty good and playing with a lot of energy, maybe they heard the trade rumors and want to change Danny's mind?

Edit : well, Billy has played 2:38 minutes and he is already back on the bench...

Drucci, aren't you in Europe? How do you watch games? I have to use a slingbox to watch the playoffs when i'm over there for the Cannes FF....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:35:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think teams in the C's position showcase players.  

Walker is playing because he has been with the team for a while now after being injured, and has worked his way ahead of Giddens.  If Walker was not back, Giddens would be playing against this horrid team.  Doc has done this a few other times this year, when they are playing a terrible team, he has tried to give one of the young guys a few minutes at a point in the game where they can't mess it up too much.  

Really, the only thing to take from this is that it looks like Giddens is no longer ahead on the depth chart.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
I thought walker looked leaner last i saw him. I also was a little surprised that he looked like he had a little more handle than last year.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:46:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I didn't even notice.

I guess it was an end of qtr substitution, because it didn't last long.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Walker is playing because he has been with the team for a while now after being injured, and has worked his way ahead of Giddens.  If Walker was not back, Giddens would be playing against this horrid team.  Doc has done this a few other times this year, when they are playing a terrible team, he has tried to give one of the young guys a few minutes at a point in the game where they can't mess it up too much.  

Really, the only thing to take from this is that it looks like Giddens is no longer ahead on the depth chart.
Yes doc does do this, which is good, I would rather he puts a young guy into a short rotation with starters to see how he can do.
I honestly can't understand (except injuries) why walker & giddens are mentioned in the same breath.  I can overlook walkers dunking and still see an nba rotation guy.  giddens eludes me why he is on roster.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I thought walker looked leaner last i saw him. I also was a little surprised that he looked like he had a little more handle than last year.

Walker has looked heavy all year.  He looks the same as he did at K-State, when he was coming off surgery.  I think he is just still getting back in shape, because he has also looked slower and less explosive than he did last year.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Yes doc does do this, which is good, I would rather he puts a young guy into a short rotation with starters to see how he can do.
I honestly can't understand (except injuries) why walker & giddens are mentioned in the same breath.  I can overlook walkers dunking and still see an nba rotation guy.  giddens eludes me why he is on roster.

Contract.  That really is it IMO.  If he did not have a guaranteed contract, I think Giddens would be long gone.  But since he is guaranteed this year, they will likely hold on to him until the deadline, to see if they can trade him, rather than just cutting him.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas

Contract.  That really is it IMO.  If he did not have a guaranteed contract, I think Giddens would be long gone.  But since he is guaranteed this year, they will likely hold on to him until the deadline, to see if they can trade him, rather than just cutting him.
right giddens is a contract to make a trade equal out but the pt??
I know people have said walker doesn't play good d but to me he plays good enough (hard at least) and plays within the teams offensive game.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

right giddens is a contract to make a trade equal out but the pt??
I know people have said walker doesn't play good d but to me he plays good enough (hard at least) and plays within the teams offensive game.

Walker has been injured all season.  He just rejoined the team a few weeks ago, and he certainly has not proven enough to pass Giddens based on last year.  So he needed to prove in practice since he has returned that he belongs ahead of Giddens...that can take a little while.  And that isn't even getting into the whole thing about him not being back in shape yet.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
I guess i just feel giddens is that bad.  an out of shape walker does more for me just coming off injury

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
3 minutes does not a showcase make
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 09:55:17 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

hogwash
Mike

(My name is not Mike)