Author Topic: A bridge to the future  (Read 7986 times)

Re: A bridge to the future
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 09:46:58 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
This is exactly what are bridge is going to be.....

Let Peirce Expire and sign Kevin Durant after next season , then turn around and re-sign Peirce at a lower rate so he can help and most importantly retire a Celtic!!!!!

Now thats a BRIDGE.

You watch Durant will be in GREEN after next year!!

Without checking the other finances we'd have to renounce Pierce, which probably precludes os from re-signing him for a while.
Why they expire the same year
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 09:48:37 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
Well then we don't sign P2 at that point he will ne 34/35 and Durant will still be a Kid and one of the best in the NBA.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 09:49:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You watch Durant will be a Celtic after next year
We won't have the cap room to sign him, even if we renounce Pierce unless Danny blows up this current team after this year.

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
After next season Durant is a restricted free agent

Oklahoma City will match any and all offers

Durant being here in 2011-2012 is a virtual impossibility
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 10:05:35 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
C'mon stop ruining my 2 second concocted dream!!!!!!!!
L.A. Clippers

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
Durant here in 2012-2013, now that's something I can wrap my mind around

I think there could be a distinct possibility of him accepting a qualifying offer just to test the waters and try to end up in a large market with a marquee name team

Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Rockets, Heat, Sixers and Mavericks would all be willing to roll out the bank book for him and he would be bank to the league in any of those uniforms and cities
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 10:37:34 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
For the sake of discussion, I'm not interested in moving Pierce at all. And I doubt Garnett has significant value at this point, given his injury history.

Anyone else I would take a look at moving in the right deal.

Anyone else.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 10:45:54 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
For the sake of discussion, I'm not interested in moving Pierce at all. And I doubt Garnett has significant value at this point, given his injury history.

Anyone else I would take a look at moving in the right deal.

Anyone else.
I would only move Rondo if it was for Paul or another elite pg.
L.A. Clippers

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 10:49:42 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Rondo is not untouchable in my book. Not even close.

But I do agree that you need a proven answer in return at the position. I have no reason to think Paul is available, but I would hope that call has been made.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 11:04:17 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell

But I do agree that you need a proven answer in return at the position. I have no reason to think Paul is available, but I would hope that call has been made.
Not saying he is available just saying I wouldn't move Rondo unless........
L.A. Clippers

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 11:46:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Agreed -- I'd be willing to consider trading Rondo for an established All-NBA talent who is under the age of 27. That's the type of package I'd be looking for.

I would only move Rondo if it was for Paul or another elite pg.
Disagree -- I'd be happy trading Rondo for an elite player at another position and then making a further move to shore up the point. The replacement for Rondo only needs to be an adequate starting role player (Jarrett Jack, Chris Duhon, Steve Blake) if the other talent is good enough.

----------------------------------------------------

The assets that could be used for the subsequent trade would depend on position.
  • Possibly Kendrick Perkins, it it were a big man that was acquired, in which case you could get a talented starting point guard. Or Sheed although trading him would be somewhat complicated.
  • Maybe Ray Allen and his expiring contract become more expendable if it were a wing (Kirk Hinrich and change?).
  • Or maybe it's just an increased willingness, borne out of necessity, to part with future first round draft picks in combination with expiring contracts or talent in order to acquire that point guard.
Anyway, I don't think it needs to be a point guard that comes back in return in a Rajon Rondo trade ... and his replacement doesn't need to be an equal or superior talent at the point.

I also think that being open to trading Rondo for a different position opens up far more options.
  • Five positions versus one -- simply a larger talent pool
  • Rondo is already a top five, or on the borderline to being a top five point guard. Given his age and removal of older point guards (Billups, Nash) that only really leaves two possibilities (Paul, Deron) who are currently superior to Rondo and young enough to build around long term.
  • It's easier to upgrade your talent when your trading players at different positions versus the same position ... especially when we're talking about players who are top five or so at their position ... because those teams already have an extremely talented player at the position which limits need. They're already committed to a player at that spot.
  • It's also easier to compare player's strengths and weaknesses, and overall impact, at the same position instead of different positions (two point guards ... guard vs wing vs big) because the demands of the position + skill-sets of the players are similar (less divergence of opinion).

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 12:00:26 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
So would a trade sending Rondo and expiring contracts to Memphis for Mike Conley and Rudy Gay or a trade sending Ray and Rondo to Indiana for Granger, Ford and Jones be the types of trades you would look at if trading Rondo was what you felt would be best for this team
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 12:12:15 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
So would a trade sending Rondo and expiring contracts to Memphis for Mike Conley and Rudy Gay or a trade sending Ray and Rondo to Indiana for Granger, Ford and Jones be the types of trades you would look at if trading Rondo was what you felt would be best for this team

At best those would be sideways moves, in my opinion.  No sense in trading our best young asset just to get another young asset.  If we could pull off a trade where we trade, say, Ray + Perk for a guy like Granger, then okay.  We could definitely consider that.  But trading Rondo for another young All-Star talent doesn't make much sense.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell

At best those would be sideways moves, in my opinion.  No sense in trading our best young asset just to get another young asset.  If we could pull off a trade where we trade, say, Ray + Perk for a guy like Granger, then okay.  We could definitely consider that.  But trading Rondo for another young All-Star talent doesn't make much sense.
I would take Granger but from my understanding Indiana will just about give ford away, I would rather see something that involved Granger Murphy and and ford or Watson, And Murphy only has one year left
L.A. Clippers

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 12:18:42 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
No, I don't consider either of those players better than Rondo so I have no interest in either trade. But, yes, something along those lines ... just with a superior talent than Granger or Gay.

As I said in the previous post -- an established All-NBA caliber (top 15 player) player who is young enough to be a long term fixture.

So, that covers, what, maybe 10 players ... once you eliminate some of the older All-NBA guys