Author Topic: A bridge to the future  (Read 7987 times)

Re: A bridge to the future
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would not trade for AI2 and Dalembert.

He would be OK as the third banana, but he is probably overpayed for that roll.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Igoudala is due about $68 million over the next five seasons including this one. That's an average of around $13.7 million.

That's not a bad contract for a third option.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Igoudala is due about $68 million over the next five seasons including this one. That's an average of around $13.7 million.

That's not a bad contract for a third option.

Plus, Iggy is 25.  25!!!!  He's going to be good for at least another 4-5 years, if not longer.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I know the Iggy move would be for future purposes but the whole point of this is to trade for the future while keeping championship hopes alive.  In that regard I dont like this trade for this reason.

Iggy is a true SF, Paul Pierce is a true SF.  Having these guys on the floor at the same time wont work well.  Pierce is having knee problems and has lost a lot of speed, moving him to the two is a bad idea.  Yeah, Iggy is probably quick enough to move to the 2, but this team would be a disaster on the offensive end.

Igoudala, Rondo,  Marquis, and Perkins all arent capable of spacing the floor.  Defenses will be able to play back on us a lot more, which will mostly hurt Rondo, and also Pierce to an extent.  This is one of problems of the way the Sixers built there team.  No 3 point shooters.

Take Ray away from this team, how many reliable 3 point shooters are left?  Eddie, Pierce? Sheed is known for hitting threes but word is starting to get out to just let him shoot them.

I just dont like what this would do to our team.  The way it is now, we can have Pierce and Ray on opposite ends of the floor and opponets defenses have to stretch to respect their shot, couple that with KG's stretching  of the D down low and its open season on Rondo.  I just feel like if we trade Ray and we dont get a legit starting guard back who can shoot, we're killing the whole reason our big three works so well together.
Greg

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 09:05:08 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I know the Iggy move would be for future purposes but the whole point of this is to trade for the future while keeping championship hopes alive.  In that regard I dont like this trade for this reason.

Iggy is a true SF, Paul Pierce is a true SF.  Having these guys on the floor at the same time wont work well.  Pierce is having knee problems and has lost a lot of speed, moving him to the two is a bad idea.  Yeah, Iggy is probably quick enough to move to the 2, but this team would be a disaster on the offensive end.

Igoudala, Rondo,  Marquis, and Perkins all arent capable of spacing the floor.  Defenses will be able to play back on us a lot more, which will mostly hurt Rondo, and also Pierce to an extent.  This is one of problems of the way the Sixers built there team.  No 3 point shooters.

Take Ray away from this team, how many reliable 3 point shooters are left?  Eddie, Pierce? Sheed is known for hitting threes but word is starting to get out to just let him shoot them.

I just dont like what this would do to our team.  The way it is now, we can have Pierce and Ray on opposite ends of the floor and opponets defenses have to stretch to respect their shot, couple that with KG's stretching  of the D down low and its open season on Rondo.  I just feel like if we trade Ray and we dont get a legit starting guard back who can shoot, we're killing the whole reason our big three works so well together.

Iggy can play SG, and all of his talents more than make up for the loss of Ray's shooting.  Like I said before, talent talks, and I think Iggy is more than enough of an upgrade to make up for losing Ray's clutch 3 pointers.  Iggy is everything we're missing: athleticism, physical D, intensity, speed, youth, strength, etc.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If the Celtics can both keep their title hopes as high as they are now for this season and improve the long term chances of the this team, any and all players are tradeable. 

Unless KG is truly permanently hurt and this thing is over, it really makes little sense to make a move.  First, Ray is our healthiest player this year.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to deal him.  Second, Ainge's lie/distortion/moment-of-senility that the only way the C's can get value for the Big Three is to trade them is just that.  While things were arguably different 20 years ago (though I don't even think that was the case), letting the Big Three expire arguably as has much value as trading them away.  Who's to say that what we get back in a trade will be any better than what we can get on the free agent market?

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 09:20:07 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Young talent I might try to pry away from other teams if Danny Ainge decides major changes are needed would be

Chris Kaman, Eric Gordon, Rasual Butler for Ray Allen and Kendrick Perkins but this only happens if Los Angeles feels they want to and can attract 2 max free agents to add to Baron Davis, Blake Griffin, Al Thornton and Kendrick Perkins

Kevin Martin and Andres Nocioni for Ray Allen this presupposes that Sacramento feels Martin and Evans can't coexist and would want to look to rebuild with a free agent and the draft rather than with a player being offered, like Calderon

That's about it

Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 09:23:02 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I would trade Ray for Iggy in 10 seconds, and hope Ray takes a buyout, comes back, and leads our 2nd unit for a few more years.

a lot of sentimentality about Ray, considering how recently he came to Boston.

Odd to have concern about paying Iggy's salary for a 2nd/3rd option, since we're paying more than that now for ours.

Let PP shoot, Iggy drive, and Rondo learn to hit that 20 footer from the top of the key like DJ used to.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics can both keep their title hopes as high as they are now for this season and improve the long term chances of the this team, any and all players are tradeable. 

Unless KG is truly permanently hurt and this thing is over, it really makes little sense to make a move.  First, Ray is our healthiest player this year.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to deal him.  Second, Ainge's lie/distortion/moment-of-senility that the only way the C's can get value for the Big Three is to trade them is just that.  While things were arguably different 20 years ago (though I don't even think that was the case), letting the Big Three expire arguably as has much value as trading them away.  Who's to say that what we get back in a trade will be any better than what we can get on the free agent market?

Because the Celtics will never have the cap room to sign three players like KG, Ray and Pierce.

In fact, I think they have to wait till all three contracts are up before they could even think of signing one Max player.

But if you trade them, then you don't have to worry about that.  

If you can make a trade that keeps this years window open while improving the team long term, you do it.

Unfortunately for the Celtics, this is a long shot to happen.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Increasing Rasheed Wallace's minutes and playing him alongside Rondo + Iguodala + Pierce + Garnett more often could help offset some of the team's shooting problems. If it became necessary.

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 09:33:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Chris Kaman, Eric Gordon, Rasual Butler for Ray Allen and Kendrick Perkins but this only happens if Los Angeles feels they want to and can attract 2 max free agents to add to Baron Davis, Blake Griffin, Al Thornton and Kendrick Perkins

I really like Eric Gordon's game. Very good scorer. Efficient. Can shoot, can drive. Solid handle. Good-to-very good defender. Good athleticism.

I'd be very interested in acquiring him if the Clippers were willing to part with him. Unfortunately, I doubt they would be, they seem to view Gordon + Griffin as the building blocks to the franchise. Hard to see them parting with Gordon for anything other than talent (not a salary dump).

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
This is exactly what are bridge is going to be.....

Let Peirce Expire and sign Kevin Durant after next season , then turn around and re-sign Peirce at a lower rate so he can help and most importantly retire a Celtic!!!!!

Now thats a BRIDGE.

You watch Durant will be in GREEN after next year!!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 09:44:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Let Peirce Expire and sign Kevin Durant after next season , then turn around and re-sign Peirce at a lower rate so he can help and most importantly retire a Celtic!!!!!

Now thats a BRIDGE.

You're joking right?

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Now thats a BRIDGE.

Without checking the other finances we'd have to renounce Pierce, which probably precludes os from re-signing him for a while.

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 09:46:29 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
You watch Durant will be a Celtic after next year
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15