Author Topic: Sullinger  (Read 2502 times)

Sullinger
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:54:50 AM »

Offline Bean_town fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Whats everybody's take on him? Do you think C's would trade up to get him?

I think he's the next top post man in the game or he's Big Baby Davis 2.0! I'm not sure which one

Re: Sullinger
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:03:23 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I worry about the fact that he typically struggled against length in college.  I'm not too crazy about his long-term potential, but I do think he can come in and make an immediate impact for a good team. 

I love his attitude and I think he would fit well here with the current group (assuming it stays more or less the same).  He can play in the post and he can rebound, and we need both right now.  But he's not a guy I'd want to build around.  I see him as a terrific complementary piece, but not a building block. 

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 04:06:55 AM »

Offline Bean_town fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
I worry about the fact that he typically struggled against length in college.  I'm not too crazy about his long-term potential, but I do think he can come in and make an immediate impact for a good team. 

I love his attitude and I think he would fit well here with the current group (assuming it stays more or less the same).  He can play in the post and he can rebound, and we need both right now.  But he's not a guy I'd want to build around.  I see him as a terrific complementary piece, but not a building block. 

I definitely agree with your take on his attitude. I've been reading interviews and his take on his dock taking a few hits shows real resolve to prove people wrong. He's not a franchise changer but I think if he falls enough DA should take a chance......

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »

Offline cdiraimo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
at the least he will have a career similar to big baby.. and yes he has an issue against length, most players having to play Center at 6'9 going against guys that are 7'0 feet will have some issues... he played out of position and would be a steal if he drops to the end of the lottery.  There is absolutely no bust for this guy (bearing injury), he has all the tools and drive and will at the least like I said be a great sixth man if not paul millsap type starter.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Sullinger would be GREAT next to KG.  And if he slides, I would try to trade up for him.  But I don't think its in the cards.

As for what I actually think he will be, I think it will be somewhere in between Kenny Thomas and Elton Brand.  I think he brings more intangibles and defense than Thomas, and has similar offense/rebounding to both of them, but he isn't as exposive as Brand was when he was younger (although, I wouldn't even rule that out, once he gets with an NBA trainer/HGH dealer).

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:49:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
He will be a solid starting 4/5 in the NBA for years. I expect him to max out at a double double 18pt 10rb guy. He will struggle as a help defender but will be an excellent man post defender. When not double teamed he will be an efficient post scorer (he has a much much better post game then BBD.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I doubt Sullinger will be an excellent lowpost defender because he wasn't one even in college.  Trying to stay out of foul trouble may have been part of that but I saw too many guys back him down and comfortably shoot over him for me to think that he'll be a great individual defender. 

Big Baby showed at LSU that he could use his leverage and strength to defend the post so his defense in the NBA didn't come out of nowhere.  Sullinger's going to have to use similar tricks, although he's a bit taller and longer but he's yet to show the ability thus far.

The thing I don't like about Sullinger is how many times he had to contort his body just to get his shot off near the basket.  If he had to do that in college, how he's going to fare in the NBA.  Fortunately he has a good outside stroke to go to but overall, I don't think his ceiling is very high.  He could be a liability against good teams like Boozer is.