Author Topic: Joker  (Read 16370 times)

Re: Joker
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2019, 09:08:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  The media should be ashamed of themselves. They started hysteria around this movie that should never have come up.

Just like in politics, eh?

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2019, 10:09:51 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I couldn’t believe after seeing this movie that I saw armed cops. I just finished a time magazine article on it. They desperately want to make the movie political. Even if the director said or hinted that this movie had any “message “ I don’t believe it. He probably felt he had to say something like that. This movie was pure entertainment to me. It was just an awesome character study using the template of a popular villain.
   I’m in the minority of people that has zero interest in almost all superhero movies. I liked Man of Steel and BVS BECAUSE they were dramas first. I thought most of Wonder Woman was good. Anything else from dc or marvel or Sony that I saw I’d all silly popcorn formulaic junk. There’s nothing wrong with those movies but ( IMO) there’s not any actual acting going on.
  The other 4 people I know that saw Joker, hated it. It’s like they went just to be able to say it wasn’t good. The main complaint was ( no surprise) it glorifies violence and it wasn’t like the Joker. The further this movie got from a comic book the better. I can’t imagine Phoenix being in a comic book movie that the masses love( Avengers, Aquaman etc) He’s just way too good to be wasted on that stuff.
  Obviously this is just my opinion. It’s all subjective. 

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2019, 10:18:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
  The media should be ashamed of themselves. They started hysteria around this movie that should never have come up.

This is how CNN describes it:

"The movie featuring Joaquin Phoenix is about a marginalized clown that goes on a killing rampage."

Does anyone who has actually watched the film consider that depiction having any sort of accuracy?

I mean, one of the few complaints I have is that there's a lack of killing rampage as it is, and even if it had it, what's the problem?

As I've read somewhere else, we hail John Wick as a hero because he's dropped 800 or so bodies because his dog was killed.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I’m a lefty but that’s typical CNN. Gross.

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 10:35:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

"The movie featuring Joaquin Phoenix is about a marginalized clown that goes on a killing rampage."

Does anyone who has actually watched the film consider that depiction having any sort of accuracy?

I mean, one of the few complaints I have is that there's a lack of killing rampage as it is, and even if it had it, what's the problem?

As I've read somewhere else, we hail John Wick as a hero because he's dropped 800 or so bodies because his dog was killed.
Horrible take by CNN. And the killing rampage never really existed. He killed 7 people in the movie, 2 guys in self defense and his mom's killing could have been considered euthanasia, though I think it was revenge for lying to him and abusing him as a child. And the last was actually in Arkham Asylum after he was captured.

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Horrible take by CNN. And the killing rampage never really existed. He killed 7 people in the movie, 2 guys in self defense and his mom's killing could have been considered euthanasia, though I think it was revenge for lying to him and abusing him as a child. And the last was actually in Arkham Asylum after he was captured.

Not only horrible take, but dangerous. But I'll leave it at that.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 10:49:07 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Really well done by all..Phoenix was great..wonder if they do a sequel??
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2019, 11:08:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

https://youtu.be/7WqVB7OcERU?t=1263

About media coverage:

https://youtu.be/7WqVB7OcERU?t=658

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2019, 11:24:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

https://youtu.be/7WqVB7OcERU?t=1263

About media coverage:

https://youtu.be/7WqVB7OcERU?t=658
This is in the entertainment section so let's keep this thread about only the movie and it's merits.
If you feel you want to discuss how the media is reporting on the movie, please go to the Current Events forum and open a thread there to discuss.

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I haven't seen it, but in general the critics are only giving it 69% at Rotten Tomatoes, though the 91% audience score is pretty good. 

The reviews tend to rate Joaquin's performance very well, but don't like the movie as much as his performance (seems fairly similar to Ledger's performance and movie).  I've heard several critiques that if the movie wasn't called the Joker it would have been better, but the fact that he ends up as the Joker sort of hamstrings where the movie could have gone. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Is this the same character as the Batman movies ?

Is Batman a character in this movie ?

Im confused  ;D

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 03:00:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Maybe...

Im confused  ;D

If you mean Batman itself, no... but the Wayne family appears...

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 04:27:11 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Maybe...

Im confused  ;D

If you mean Batman itself, no... but the Wayne family appears...

Yeah it's a weird "elesewotlds" stand alone movie that takes place right before the Wayne's murder. I find it weird because the Joker will be in his 60s to 70s when he squares off against bats.

It would have been cool if the events of this movie inspired the real joker and a young Bruce seeing clowns real havick on Gotham feeds his obsession with who ever his joker is.

There was a cool story were Bruce created a way to clone himself right at the time he decided to become Batman. He would have saved the city and it would be at peace. But every time evil would start to rise up again he would be too old to fight. So a new clone would be created and old Bruce would become an Alfred. Times changed, new villains. But there was always a joker and the new Bruce would always answer the call.

It would be fun to see that in movie form.

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I haven't seen it, but in general the critics are only giving it 69% at Rotten Tomatoes, though the 91% audience score is pretty good. 

The reviews tend to rate Joaquin's performance very well, but don't like the movie as much as his performance (seems fairly similar to Ledger's performance and movie).  I've heard several critiques that if the movie wasn't called the Joker it would have been better, but the fact that he ends up as the Joker sort of hamstrings where the movie could have gone.
You appear to be attempting to be critical of the movie even though you never saw it. That seems very strange to me. Why not just go see it and judge for yourself rather than try to be critical based on others' opinions?

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2019, 10:46:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

You appear to be attempting to be critical of the movie even though you never saw it. That seems very strange to me. Why not just go see it and judge for yourself rather than try to be critical based on others' opinions?
my comment was in regards to the press the movie has received.  It appears to be a movie that is far more popular with the fans than the critics.  That would, in many ways, explain the press the movie has been receiving given its subject matter.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip