Author Topic: What will a package of brown and rozier get us?  (Read 7381 times)

Re: What will a package of brown and rozier get us?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 04:56:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
And if you are trading a talent like Brown you have to trade him for a better player like Davis or Kawhi or Durant or Butler. You can't replace Brown's contributions this year and next with unproven 2nd year players and mid 1st round draft picks.

Brown is the youngest player in Celtic history to score 30 points in a playoff game, and he did it twice. He was the Celtics best all around player in last year's playoffs. Some mid 1st rounder or unproven Jonathan Issac isn't going to be able to do that over the next two years and beyond when the C's should become the favorites to win the title.

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
If you're not getting a monster talent like Davis, why would you even think of trading Brown this season?  You're a favorite to get to the NBA finals, and he's your best edge defender, along with Smart.  You don't give that up mid-season, unless you're making a mega deal to bring back one of the game's top 5 (give or take) players.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 05:39:17 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
No player is getting moved this season. This team doesn't need anything except to wait to round into form.

What happens with this roster after this season hinges on the result. If we lose before reaching the Finals, Brown, Rozier, Smart, and the 1sts will be on the block. If we win/lose in the Finals, we run it back with this roster sans Rozier.

I think a package of Brown and Rozier would've gotten us Kawhi, Butler, or George and if combined with the 2-4 1sts could be enough for AD (if things sour in NO (which is the only way they trade him)). Other than that or another superstar, trading Brown with the progress he's shown and still on his rookie contract would be foolish and unlike Ainge.

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 06:12:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
It's not getting you very much anyway. At most their teasers.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 06:14:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nothing worthwhile if it isn’t part of a blockbuster type move
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2018, 06:26:44 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Brown was great last year because I think he had more freedom to do his thing. With no Hayward, he was able to get plenty of repetitions and had a longer leash which helped him have a good season last year. With Hayward back, I just think he’s trying to adjust and is pressing when he gets an opportunity because he thinks he has to make it count  with so many good players on the team. If he was on a worse team, he’d be getting the minutes and freedom to develop quicker imo.

I still think he’s and incredibly valuable piece and trade chip. But not sure why you would want to trade before seeing if he can figure it out with this group of players first.

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2018, 06:30:16 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
A pupu platter of good not great

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2018, 06:36:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Nothing when you sell low...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 06:48:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
If you're not getting a monster talent like Davis, why would you even think of trading Brown this season?  You're a favorite to get to the NBA finals, and he's your best edge defender, along with Smart.  You don't give that up mid-season, unless you're making a mega deal to bring back one of the game's top 5 (give or take) players.

Completely agree with this. 

Re: What will a package of brown get us
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 08:42:20 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I understand he's still raw and young. But at the same time...something is missing. I'm not seeing a slow steady improvement, never mind a burst of improvement. He disappears in total much too often having no effect on the game. 

I'm hoping for a Victor Oladipo type of surge in the near future.
Brown had a giant burst of improvement last year. It's difficult to show much of an offensive improvement this year as he is being used exclusively as the 5th option on offense with the starters, which is the lineup he plays the most minutes with. He, along with everyone else, is still adjusting to their roles with a healthy Hayward and Irving being back on the team.

And he has definitely improved his defense this year as he is always given the other teams best offensive player to cover and does a stellar job. That doesn't even include the fact he has improved his handle for the second straight year and his passing is way better. He is making the right pass, on the money, almost every time he drives and is closed off for a layups.

Brown has been inconsistent but he has had to adjust more than any other player on the team. He went from a #1 or #2 offensive option last year to a #5 offensive option this year. But the kid is loaded with untapped potential. You don't trade him because he hasn't played like a superstar 15 games into this season. That's a hoorble over reaction move and one Danny Ainge would never make.

To the OP - Who's the other guy you're talking about...Rozier?

He's 22 years old, still raw, and yet has proved he can play at a high level in the playoffs.

It would be foolish to throw him away without getting something very valuable in return.

Precisely.

I wish I had been able to watch the first three quarters today, but couldn't cos of work...but from what I've heard, Brown played fantastic defense of Kawhii during those quarters. Brown has once again showed flashes this year on offense, sporting a cleaner stroke from three.

Down the stretch, Stevens probably went with Mook because of his size on defense against Kawhii and reliableness on offence. This is sensible for a team with finals aspirations - while Brown is far more talented, Mook has certain advantages. Brown is still just 22.
Oops.  Yes, rozier the other guy.  As for brown, we’ll come to a point soon where youth will no longer be used as a crutch for him.  His basketball IQ is crazy bad.  That’s not a good sign for a star.

You keep saying over and over again that Brown's BBIQ is low but just because you say it over and over again doesn't make it true. If his BBIQ was so low he would never have emerged as one of the best defenders in the league at 22. If his IQ was so low his handle and passing wouldn't have improved anywhere near that it has since his rookie year. If his IQ was so low he wouldn't be the best cutter to the basket off the ball on the team. If his IQ was so low he wouldn't be making the proper defensive switches nearly every time. Brown's BBIQ is just fine if not very good.

I pretty much agree. Brown is far from a dumb player. He needs to start hitting shots.

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Bron

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 09:05:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I understand he's still raw and young. But at the same time...something is missing. I'm not seeing a slow steady improvement, never mind a burst of improvement. He disappears in total much too often having no effect on the game. 

Brown had a giant burst of improvement last year. It's difficult to show much of an offensive improvement this year as he is being used exclusively as the 5th option on offense with the starters, which is the lineup he plays the most minutes with. He, along with everyone else, is still adjusting to their roles with a healthy Hayward and Irving being back on the team.

And he has definitely improved his defense this year as he is always given the other teams best offensive player to cover and does a stellar job. That doesn't even include the fact he has improved his handle for the second straight year and his passing is way better. He is making the right pass, on the money, almost every time he drives and is closed off for a layups.

Brown has been inconsistent but he has had to adjust more than any other player on the team. He went from a #1 or #2 offensive option last year to a #5 offensive option this year. But the kid is loaded with untapped potential. You don't trade him because he hasn't played like a superstar 15 games into this season. That's a hoorble over reaction move and one Danny Ainge would never make.

He's 22 years old, still raw, and yet has proved he can play at a high level in the playoffs.

It would be foolish to throw him away without getting something very valuable in return.

Precisely.

I wish I had been able to watch the first three quarters today, but couldn't cos of work...but from what I've heard, Brown played fantastic defense of Kawhii during those quarters. Brown has once again showed flashes this year on offense, sporting a cleaner stroke from three.

Down the stretch, Stevens probably went with Mook because of his size on defense against Kawhii and reliableness on offence. This is sensible for a team with finals aspirations - while Brown is far more talented, Mook has certain advantages. Brown is still just 22.
Oops.  Yes, rozier the other guy.  As for brown, we’ll come to a point soon where youth will no longer be used as a crutch for him.  His basketball IQ is crazy bad.  That’s not a good sign for a star.

You keep saying over and over again that Brown's BBIQ is low but just because you say it over and over again doesn't make it true. If his BBIQ was so low he would never have emerged as one of the best defenders in the league at 22. If his IQ was so low his handle and passing wouldn't have improved anywhere near that it has since his rookie year. If his IQ was so low he wouldn't be the best cutter to the basket off the ball on the team. If his IQ was so low he wouldn't be making the proper defensive switches nearly every time. Brown's BBIQ is just fine if not very good.
Let me restate.  Browns feel for the game is awful.  And I keep saying it because it’s true.  I don’t think it’s even a debatable point.

And people keep calling browna future star.  He and Mitchell are basically the same age and their planets apart in terms of skill.

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 09:09:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Precisely.

Let me restate.  Browns feel for the game is awful.  And I keep saying it because it’s true.  I don’t think it’s even a debatable point.

And people keep calling browna future star.  He and Mitchell are basically the same age and their planets apart in terms of skill.
Yeah, his feel is truly awful. It’s like he started playing 2 years ago, and he hasn’t got any consistency anyway
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
NM.

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 09:15:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Precisely.

It's completely debateable and I think you're completely wrong. He was exceptional last year playing a role he thrived in. He is being asked to play a completely different role this year and has the least amount of touches of the starting 5. He's just been forcing things which has led him to be inconsistent.