Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113811 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2017, 01:24:51 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
His novelty is the fact that he is leading PG on a major European League team at an extremely young age.  Very high BBIQ. But athletically does not blow you away.  Will be a lot of debate as to where he should go in next year's draft.

He will be very polarizing. At the end of the day, I think he's too good to go at least 3

« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
His novelty is the fact that he is leading PG on a major European League team at an extremely young age.

Small correctoin... Llull is Real's primary pg but Doncic is indeed a key player which is in itself impressive considering his age.

Very high BBIQ. But athletically does not blow you away.  Will be a lot of debate as to where he should go in next year's draft.

Very true. His talent belongs to the NBA but i can't see him staying in front of players like Kyrie or Wall

« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2017, 01:45:01 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://theringer.com/nba-draft-luka-doncic-real-madrid-f534e7428bf6

It may have been already posted but the ringer did an article on him

« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2017, 03:16:33 AM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades
I adore Doncic (see who opened the thread lol) but there is no way he can stay in front of NBA PGs. He is about 6-8 and not exceptionally agile.

But the thing is Doncic is so versatile in offense, he can fit in many situations in different teams, and he is not a liability in defense - especially if he keeps filling out his frame like he did in past two years.

About floor/ceiling, I see his floor slightly higher than Hedo. His ceiling... I don't know, he is maybe the greatest European prospect since Gasol. For example Rubio was extremely hyped as early as 14 years old, but he had an obvious flaw in his game (shooting). Doncic has no flaw in his game, other than mediocre/average agility (not athleticism).

« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I adore Doncic (see who opened the thread lol) but there is no way he can stay in front of NBA PGs. He is about 6-8 and not exceptionally agile.

But the thing is Doncic is so versatile in offense, he can fit in many situations in different teams, and he is not a liability in defense - especially if he keeps filling out his frame like he did in past two years.

About floor/ceiling, I see his floor slightly higher than Hedo. His ceiling... I don't know, he is maybe the greatest European prospect since Gasol. For example Rubio was extremely hyped as early as 14 years old, but he had an obvious flaw in his game (shooting). Doncic has no flaw in his game, other than mediocre/average agility (not athleticism).

Honestly, "greatest Euro prospect since Gasol" undersells Doncic by quite a bit. "Greatest prospect since AD" might be closer to the mark.

« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Honestly, "greatest Euro prospect since Gasol" undersells Doncic by quite a bit. "Greatest prospect since AD" might be closer to the mark.

Waitaminnit. Doncic is projected in many mocks to go anywhere from 3d to 5th next year - and that's without adding in Marvin Bagley, who may reclassify. Bagley seems very likely to be drafted higher, and almost certainly would be considered to have a higher ceiling. Doncic may develop into a very nice player, even an all-star. But his limitations are also pretty obvious, and I don't see anything that tells me he's going to be an elite player on both ends (which AD is now) or a top-5 player - which AD is very close to already, at 24.

« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Waitaminnit. Doncic is projected in many mocks to go anywhere from 3d to 5th next year - and that's without adding in Marvin Bagley, who may reclassify. Bagley seems very likely to be drafted higher, and almost certainly would be considered to have a higher ceiling. Doncic may develop into a very nice player, even an all-star. But his limitations are also pretty obvious, and I don't see anything that tells me he's going to be an elite player on both ends (which AD is now) or a top-5 player - which AD is very close to already, at 24.
This. People lose their **** when a young 17 year old kid performs in the euroleague and claim him as the next GOAT. Doing so is no mean feat but it wasn't like he was setting the league on fire, he was just an above average player (that's a huge accomplishment but that's not exactly the mark of a potential GOAT). TP for bringing the thread back to reality though. Doncic has superstar potential though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Doncic is a fine athlete. He's not an elite athlete, and he would struggle to guard many PGs, but there are only a few players 6'7 or taller who wouldn't struggle to guard most PGs. Ideally, if PG does turn out to be his best position, he would be teamed with another guard who can better handle the better offensive PGs.

His BBIQ is off the charts, and he can do almost everything well. He's going to be a terrific player. I'd be thrilled if we got him.

« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2017, 12:39:12 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Doncic is a nice player but the hype on him is crazy.

I think he's going to have a long, impressive career in the NBA but does not strike me as a superstar like Anthony Davis or even Ben Simmons who shares a similar skills set in a power forwards body.

Doncic will be a top 5 pick but probably not #1 unless all the incoming freshman stink this upcoming season.

« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell

Mock drafts that don't have Doncic #1 are silly. It's a bit of hyperbole to call Doncic a 6'7 Chris Paul, but only a bit.

« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Mock drafts that don't have Doncic #1 are silly. It's a bit of hyperbole to call Doncic a 6'7 Chris Paul, but only a bit.

It seems like you know a lot about Doncic so I would like your opinion on this:

I know that you never draft for need/fit but how do you feel about how Luca may fit in next to Jaylen and Jayson going forward?

I mean, can Jaylen guard point guards full-time? Can Luka guard shooting guards in the NBA at all?

Is Luka an elite three point shooter?  If so, sign me up!  Jaylen is probably going to be a good three point shooter and hopefully Jayson as well.  It would be nice to have at least one of our wings be an elite shooter not just good.

« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell

It seems like you know a lot about Doncic so I would like your opinion on this:

I know that you never draft for need/fit but how do you feel about how Luca may fit in next to Jaylen and Jayson going forward?

I mean, can Jaylen guard point guards full-time? Can Luka guard shooting guards in the NBA at all?

Is Luka an elite three point shooter?  If so, sign me up!  Jaylen is probably going to be a good three point shooter and hopefully Jayson as well.  It would be nice to have at least one of our wings be an elite shooter not just good.
Yeah, Smart/Brown/Doncic/Tatum would be a totally viable unit 1-4. It's pretty hard to have too many good wings. There are 3x48 minutes for versatile wings, so unless you have >5 wings who need 30mpg each, it's not an issue.

« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2017, 01:49:27 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Middling athlete, high IQ, good motor.  Somewhere between Adam Morrison and Gordon Hayward.  I'd err on the low side.  Turkoglu seems a good comp.

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2017, 01:57:27 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I don't know about the mock drafts as i have no idea about college players but after watching a lot of Real games Doncic looks better than Rubio , better than Gasol at 18 but he is not on AD's level. Although i try to ignore it athleticism matters .. a lot

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2017, 02:04:30 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
People who keep calling Doncic a point guard either haven't seen him play, haven't been following the kid or don't know basketball all that well. He's a small forward and that is what his position will be in the NBA. He can bring the ball up and has some "point guard skills" like passing and vision but that is not his niche. He DOES seem to have very good hand/eye coordination and that is a deadly combination if he keeps developing. He IS kind of over the hill as he's already 18!