Author Topic: Mayweather vs. McGregor scheduled for August 26th  (Read 20690 times)

Re: Mayweather vs. McGregor scheduled for August 26th
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2017, 01:21:19 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Is that basically the greatest moral victory in the history of fighting per se? Has anyone else had a loss, yet became an instant legend the same night?

Within the context of a loss McGregor seems to have done better than anyone could have asked

Based on a true story!

Lol'd, I think you're actually right. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2017, 01:25:39 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I really don't care about fighting/boxing, but this has to be a blemish on boxing in general, right? It's like if Rondo said he wanted to be a QB and went out and actually played well without ever having really played the sport before.

It was a good fight and Mayweather deserved to win, but I can't believe he didn't actually just smoke him in the first two rounds. In the UFC, McGregor would kill Mayweather.

Anyway, interesting fight and I am happy it lived up to expectations.
I dont think that metaphor is right. Its more like, if Rondo tried 100m dash.

Boxing is a part of MMA, no where is US football a component of basketball.

I don't know, Rondo is a great passer and has incredible vision. He also would be able to scramble well. Basketball involves various skills and versatility, where individual positions in football are more specialized (like boxing is under the realm of 'fighting').

Anyway, like I said, the most I know about fighting is Mike Tyson's Punchout and Wrestlemania for the NES. I apologize if I come off as an air-head. Fun fight, though - great for all involved.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 05:54:44 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2017, 01:28:53 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I really don't care about fighting/boxing, but this has to be a blemish on boxing in general, right? It's like if Rondo said he wanted to be a QB and went out and actually played well without ever having really played the sport before.

It was a good fight and Mayweather deserved to win, but I can't believe he didn't actually just smoke him in the first two rounds. In the UFC, McGregor would kill Mayweather.

Besides, what else was Floyd supposed to do? At 40 he took down a 29 yr old physical specimen that out-measured him in every physical statistical category.

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2017, 01:31:32 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

Besides, what else was Floyd supposed to do? At 40 he took down a 29 yr old physical specimen that out-measured him in every physical statistical category.

Facts. lol the old man hasn't had a TKO in years.

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2017, 01:32:50 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Great boxers gets smoke in the first few rounds then proceeds to cruise in the entire fight.

It's not coincidence, it's strategy.  Mayweather was never hurt.

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

There's nothing he can do now.  But he should've fought any one of the true competitors during his time-- Pacquiao, Canelo, Manuel Marquez (at an even weight), Cotto -- in their prime.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2017, 02:16:21 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I don't know, Rondo is a great passer and has incredible vision. He also would be able to scramble well. Basketball involves various skills and versatility, where individual positions in football are more specialized (like boxing is under the realm of 'fighting').

Anyway, like I said, the most I know about fighting is Mike Tyson's Punchout and Wrestlemania for the NES. I apologize if I come off as an air-head. Fun fight, though - great for all involved.

also rondo said he grew up wanting to play football

#Celtics Rajon Rondo: I respect what (NFL) players do, I don't take it lightly, but I think I could have played, could have given it a shot.

— Scott Souza (@scott_souza) December 11, 2012

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2017, 06:56:27 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Is that basically the greatest moral victory in the history of fighting per se? Has anyone else had a loss, yet became an instant legend the same night?

Within the context of a loss McGregor seems to have done better than anyone could have asked

Not even close. There's no legend here. McGregor just lost to a 40 year old man whose last real KO came when George Bush was still President. Not to mention he just about got blanked on two of the scorecards.

Never mind the guy who beat him is overrated as hell. Just look at the list of guys May has ducked the last few years:

Pacquiao (until Manny was knocked flat by Marquez and his hand speed slowed dramatically)
Danny Garcia
Keith Thurman
Errol Spense Jr.
Kell Brook
Shawn Porter

That's the best of the division and Mayweather ducked them all. That's his legacy - ducking the best guys when they were at their best. And McGregor's glass chin broke when hit by Mayweather.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:40:10 AM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I still think Charlie Ward would've been fine in the NFL

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2017, 05:50:14 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
I just re-read my posts on the first page of this topic from June 15th and now it almost sounds like I knew what I was talking about:

"Most Mayweather fights I would say go the distance as Floyd will play it safe to secure the victory. But I have a feeling all the little shots McGregor takes are going to affect his stamina and he'll be an easy target in the late rounds for a TKO."

And

"I hesitate to chalk it up to conditioning, because McGregor will be well-conditioned. But you're absolutely right that there is a difference in the type of stamina he will need. Not only will he be going for more rounds, but he'll still be taking shots here and there for the first five rounds. McGregor has never taken shots for five straight rounds. That will be different for him, mentally and physically. Even blows that don't knock you out or wind you, still affect your stamina. That's why I think he'll be a sitting duck for some bigger, cleaner shots in the later rounds like you suggest."

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2017, 06:35:25 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Not even close. There's no legend here. McGregor just lost to a 40 year old man whose last real KO came when George Bush was still President. Not to mention he just about got blanked on two of the scorecards.

Never mind the guy who beat him is overrated as hell. Just look at the list of guys May has ducked the last few years:

Pacquiao (until Manny was knocked flat by Marquez and his hand speed slowed dramatically)
Danny Garcia
Keith Thurman
Errol Spense Jr.
Kell Brook
Shawn Porter

That's the best of the division and Mayweather ducked them all. That's his legacy - ducking the best guys when they were at their best. And McGregor's glass chin broke when hit by Mayweather.

If McGregor got blanked on two of the score cards, then boxing has absolutely ZERO credibility left!!  There is NO way that McGregor did not handily, and I do mean HANDILY, win the first three rounds and that fight should have been 4 rounds a piece after 8.  Mayweather hardly threw any punches in the first three rounds and they were NOT even close.

Boxing is getting absurd!!  I literally stayed up quite late watching the Pacquiao/Horn fight in Australia in July and saw Pac dominate and the charts PROVED that he dominated the fight and then watched the JUDGES give Horn (who was fighting in his home country) the fight, a unanimous decision no less.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/boxing-mma/pacquiao-vs-horn-jeff-horn-win-wbo-title-and-the-rest-of-the-world-wasnt-happy/news-story/d7263b262f5d6e825f430063bf8f0dfa

Maybe I should just STOP WATCHING boxing, because IF two judges gave zero rounds to McGregor, boxing is truly FIXED and beyond saving.

Smitty77

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2017, 06:38:28 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Great boxers gets smoke in the first few rounds then proceeds to cruise in the entire fight.

It's not coincidence, it's strategy.  Mayweather was never hurt.

I would BET that Mayweather would NOT last 60 seconds in the octagon vs. McGregor!!!! 

McGregor is the MAN that fought totally OUT of his element and showed incredible heart and grit.  This was by NO means an impressive victory for Mayweather.  No, IF Mayweather lasted 5 rounds in the octagon vs. McGregor, that WOULD be IMPRESSIVE.  But it simply would NEVER EVER happen, because he might not even last one minute.

Smitty77

« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Danny Garcia
Keith Thurman
Errol Spense Jr.
Kell Brook
Shawn Porter

If McGregor got blanked on two of the score cards, then boxing has absolutely ZERO credibility left!!  There is NO way that McGregor did not handily, and I do mean HANDILY, win the first three rounds and that fight should have been 4 rounds a piece after 8.  Mayweather hardly threw any punches in the first three rounds and they were NOT even close.

Boxing is getting absurd!!  I literally stayed up quite late watching the Pacquiao/Horn fight in Australia in July and saw Pac dominate and the charts PROVED that he dominated the fight and then watched the JUDGES give Horn (who was fighting in his home country) the fight, a unanimous decision no less.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/boxing-mma/pacquiao-vs-horn-jeff-horn-win-wbo-title-and-the-rest-of-the-world-wasnt-happy/news-story/d7263b262f5d6e825f430063bf8f0dfa

Maybe I should just STOP WATCHING boxing, because IF two judges gave zero rounds to McGregor, boxing is truly FIXED and beyond saving.

Smitty77

I was being a bit facetious but Mayweather was up considerably on the scoring. The three scorecards were:

89-81, 89-82 & 87-83

#1 - 8 rounds to Mayweather (one a 10-8 round) and 1 to McGregor.
#2 - 8 rounds to Mayweather and 1 to McGregor.
#3 - 6 rounds to Mayweather (one a 108) and 3 to McGregor

In short, Connor wasn't anywhere close. I'm not sure how though. Mayweather landed 2, 5 and 5 punches the first 3 rounds according to CompUBox. So yeah, the judging was questionable.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I would BET that Mayweather would NOT last 60 seconds in the octagon vs. McGregor!!!! 

McGregor is the MAN that fought totally OUT of his element and showed incredible heart and grit.  This was by NO means an impressive victory for Mayweather.  No, IF Mayweather lasted 5 rounds in the octagon vs. McGregor, that WOULD be IMPRESSIVE.  But it simply would NEVER EVER happen, because he might not even last one minute.
Just out of curiousity, how do you think McGregor will do in the chess olympics?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Proved to be a much more entertaining fight than I anticipated.  I wonder how much Mayweather was really toying with him, though.  He knew that McGregor was going to run out of gas and you could see it coming from about Round 6 on.  I'm actually amazed it went all the way to Round 10.  Needless to say, probably a good thing that Mayweather is done (apparently).  You could see the rust & the age on him.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team