Author Topic: Mayweather vs. McGregor scheduled for August 26th  (Read 20691 times)

Re: Mayweather vs. McGregor scheduled for August 26th
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Looks like the official numbers are in, 4.3 million buys, 2nd most all time behind Manny/Floyd which was 4.6 million.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Looks like the official numbers are in, 4.3 million buys, 2nd most all time behind Manny/Floyd which was 4.6 million.

I would be very curious to know the breakdown as to how many were boxing fans, UFC fans, and people just caught up in the hype. As a boxing fan, I had zero interest.

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Is that basically the greatest moral victory in the history of fighting per se? Has anyone else had a loss, yet became an instant legend the same night?

Within the context of a loss McGregor seems to have done better than anyone could have asked

Not even close. There's no legend here. McGregor just lost to a 40 year old man whose last real KO came when George Bush was still President. Not to mention he just about got blanked on two of the scorecards.

Never mind the guy who beat him is overrated as hell. Just look at the list of guys May has ducked the last few years:

Pacquiao (until Manny was knocked flat by Marquez and his hand speed slowed dramatically)
Danny Garcia
Keith Thurman
Errol Spense Jr.
Kell Brook
Shawn Porter

That's the best of the division and Mayweather ducked them all. That's his legacy - ducking the best guys when they were at their best. And McGregor's glass chin broke when hit by Mayweather.

If McGregor got blanked on two of the score cards, then boxing has absolutely ZERO credibility left!!  There is NO way that McGregor did not handily, and I do mean HANDILY, win the first three rounds and that fight should have been 4 rounds a piece after 8.  Mayweather hardly threw any punches in the first three rounds and they were NOT even close.

Boxing is getting absurd!!  I literally stayed up quite late watching the Pacquiao/Horn fight in Australia in July and saw Pac dominate and the charts PROVED that he dominated the fight and then watched the JUDGES give Horn (who was fighting in his home country) the fight, a unanimous decision no less.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/boxing-mma/pacquiao-vs-horn-jeff-horn-win-wbo-title-and-the-rest-of-the-world-wasnt-happy/news-story/d7263b262f5d6e825f430063bf8f0dfa

Maybe I should just STOP WATCHING boxing, because IF two judges gave zero rounds to McGregor, boxing is truly FIXED and beyond saving.

Smitty77

Ha. If you thought that was bad, what did you think of GGG/Canelo?

Boxing is probably my second favorite sport behind basketball. I watch almost all fights, go to some bigger ones, and keep up with everything I miss. But it’s got to be the most corrupt sport.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
Is that basically the greatest moral victory in the history of fighting per se? Has anyone else had a loss, yet became an instant legend the same night?

Within the context of a loss McGregor seems to have done better than anyone could have asked

Not even close. There's no legend here. McGregor just lost to a 40 year old man whose last real KO came when George Bush was still President. Not to mention he just about got blanked on two of the scorecards.

Never mind the guy who beat him is overrated as hell. Just look at the list of guys May has ducked the last few years:

Pacquiao (until Manny was knocked flat by Marquez and his hand speed slowed dramatically)
Danny Garcia
Keith Thurman
Errol Spense Jr.
Kell Brook
Shawn Porter

That's the best of the division and Mayweather ducked them all. That's his legacy - ducking the best guys when they were at their best. And McGregor's glass chin broke when hit by Mayweather.

If McGregor got blanked on two of the score cards, then boxing has absolutely ZERO credibility left!!  There is NO way that McGregor did not handily, and I do mean HANDILY, win the first three rounds and that fight should have been 4 rounds a piece after 8.  Mayweather hardly threw any punches in the first three rounds and they were NOT even close.

Boxing is getting absurd!!  I literally stayed up quite late watching the Pacquiao/Horn fight in Australia in July and saw Pac dominate and the charts PROVED that he dominated the fight and then watched the JUDGES give Horn (who was fighting in his home country) the fight, a unanimous decision no less.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/boxing-mma/pacquiao-vs-horn-jeff-horn-win-wbo-title-and-the-rest-of-the-world-wasnt-happy/news-story/d7263b262f5d6e825f430063bf8f0dfa

Maybe I should just STOP WATCHING boxing, because IF two judges gave zero rounds to McGregor, boxing is truly FIXED and beyond saving.

Smitty77

Boxing is probably my second favorite sport behind basketball. I watch almost all fights, go to some bigger ones, and keep up with everything I miss. But it’s got to be the most corrupt sport.

That was a travesty, SMH. just awful.

The shame of it is that it was a terrific fight, and the fighters and the fans deserved an honest result.

A buddy of mine and I hosted a party to watch it. While I do think we got our money's worth from the main bout (the undercard was horrible  :P), I felt a little ashamed that I pumped actual cash into this corrupt sport.

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Danny Garcia
Keith Thurman
Errol Spense Jr.
Kell Brook
Shawn Porter

Smitty77

That was a travesty, SMH. just awful.

The shame of it is that it was a terrific fight, and the fighters and the fans deserved an honest result.

A buddy of mine and I hosted a party to watch it. While I do think we got our money's worth from the main bout (the undercard was horrible  :P), I felt a little ashamed that I pumped actual cash into this corrupt sport.

It was indeed a sad night for the sport. I too hosted a party for that (as I do pretty much every GGG fight) and it was embarrassing. When something so egregious takes away from the quality of the fight itself, it’s truly sad.

I hope for a rematch sooner than later and Golovkin is more aggressive (especially to the body) and doesn’t give the Adelaide Byrd’s of the world a chance to mess this one up as well.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
GGG definitely won the fight.  But, worse than that, the fight should've taken place 2-3 years ago.  Same can be said of Manny vs. Mayweather, etc etc.  It's a shame... I've also always been a big fan of the sport.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC