Author Topic: Who are the athletes that are clear far and away GOATs of their sports?  (Read 9358 times)

Re: Who are the athletes that are clear far and away GOATs of their sports?
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If you didn't watch and live through the Bobby Orr era of hockey, then you just will not ever understand how he transformed the game of hockey and why he was the GOAT of hockey. When Orr was on the ice the best offensive player, the best defensive player and the best fighter were on the ice at the same time. He transformed the way defensemen were used and looked at as a weapon. He was putting up points that were unheard of for his position and his time. Players were afraid to mix it up with him because he would beat their asses. And....he was easily the best defensive player in the league. How many times were the best offensive and defensive players in the league were the same person? Once. Bobby Orr. Had Orr been playing during the time of orthroscopic knee surgery, there is zero doubt he would be the GOAT in hockey.
I didnt watch Orr, but Ive just got a really really hard time believing he's better than, or even in the conversation with Gretzky.
You may be right on Gretzky. However, you need to read up and watch Orr. A very strong case can be made for him as GOAT. And even if Gretzky is better, it is not the margin you seem to imply.
Like I said, won't claim to know hockey very well at all. Shouldnt have made the claim on Gretzky being GOAT without really knowing the sport, but some of those stats are just mind-boggling.

Gretzky is the GOAT of all GOATS.  He dominated his sport more than any player has ever dominated any sport.  Defense is played the way it is today because of him.  Goalies wear the size padding they do today because the only way to stop him from scoring was to wear larger pads.

Orr is an icon of Boston sports, and one of the top 5 hockey players of all time, but you won't find anyone outside of Boston sports fans that would ever claim he was better than Gretzky.
That's just not true about how people feel about Orr outside of Boston. Real hockey enthusiasts see Gretzky and Orr on the same level with Orr being more transformstive to how hockey is played and Gretzky being how much hockey is dominated in the manner that Orr transformed it. What comes first, the chicken or the egg? For me its Orr.

I've spent my entire life around hockey enthusiasts. I grew up playing the sport from the time I could walk. I've traveled to play hockey in multiple countries.

Yes, Orr is revered for being pretty much the first defensive player to also be a good offensive player. But the number of people outside of Boston who think he is on Gretzky's level is more or less nonexistent.

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
If you didn't watch and live through the Bobby Orr era of hockey, then you just will not ever understand how he transformed the game of hockey and why he was the GOAT of hockey. When Orr was on the ice the best offensive player, the best defensive player and the best fighter were on the ice at the same time. He transformed the way defensemen were used and looked at as a weapon. He was putting up points that were unheard of for his position and his time. Players were afraid to mix it up with him because he would beat their asses. And....he was easily the best defensive player in the league. How many times were the best offensive and defensive players in the league were the same person? Once. Bobby Orr. Had Orr been playing during the time of orthroscopic knee surgery, there is zero doubt he would be the GOAT in hockey.
I didnt watch Orr, but Ive just got a really really hard time believing he's better than, or even in the conversation with Gretzky.
You may be right on Gretzky. However, you need to read up and watch Orr. A very strong case can be made for him as GOAT. And even if Gretzky is better, it is not the margin you seem to imply.
Like I said, won't claim to know hockey very well at all. Shouldnt have made the claim on Gretzky being GOAT without really knowing the sport, but some of those stats are just mind-boggling.

Gretzky is the GOAT of all GOATS.  He dominated his sport more than any player has ever dominated any sport.  Defense is played the way it is today because of him.  Goalies wear the size padding they do today because the only way to stop him from scoring was to wear larger pads.

Orr is an icon of Boston sports, and one of the top 5 hockey players of all time, but you won't find anyone outside of Boston sports fans that would ever claim he was better than Gretzky.
That's just not true about how people feel about Orr outside of Boston. Real hockey enthusiasts see Gretzky and Orr on the same level with Orr being more transformstive to how hockey is played and Gretzky being how much hockey is dominated in the manner that Orr transformed it. What comes first, the chicken or the egg? For me its Orr.

I've spent my entire life around hockey enthusiasts. I grew up playing the sport from the time I could walk. I've traveled to play hockey in multiple countries.

Yes, Orr is revered for being pretty much the first defensive player to also be a good offensive player. But the number of people outside of Boston who think he is on Gretzky's level is more or less nonexistent.
because he isn't.  Gretzky is the GOAT and it isn't close.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Russell. Am I truly the only one who believes Jordan is overrated?
Im sure on a 49ers fanblog somewhere someone has just posted.

"Montana. Am I truly the only one who believes Brady is overrated?"

Jordan is the GOAT.
I'd agree.  Brady is not clearly GOAT over Montana and Jordan is the GOAT.
Well Brady isn't the GOAT over Montana. He's the GOAT over everyone that ever played the sport

The argument for Montana has come down to "well Joe never lost a superbowl". That is the one argument.

There are about 30 arguments why Brady is the GOAT. My favorite: he's not even done playing yet.
He lost other games that resulted in him failing to reach the SB as many times as Brady.
be careful or you might start making the James over Jordan argument.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I have always had a harder time ranking football players than players in other sports. Realistically, how do you rank Brady vs. Jerry Rice vs. Jim Brown vs. LT?
LT was a great player but I view him as being a bit overrated. Look at his stats versus Andre Tippet, who played in the same era. LT had the benefit of playing in NY and on SB winning teams which helped inflate his reputation. 

This is no way saying that LT isn't an all time great but I don't think he compares to Brady, Montana, Rice, Jim Brown in the GOAT conversation.