Author Topic: Mayweather vs. McGregor scheduled for August 26th  (Read 20690 times)

Mayweather vs. McGregor scheduled for August 26th
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:25:51 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26.

https://sports.yahoo.com/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-fight-finalized-aug-26-205101486.html

What you think? My prediction is Mayweather wins relatively easily.
Let's Go Celtics!!

Re: Mayweather vs. McGregor scheduled for August 26th
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
You're burning money if you order this fight. 

Mayweather will do whatever he wants to do.  It'll really come down to how much he wants to carry the fight and how much he wants to entertain people.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 05:29:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I mean, it's all for money and spectacle. It may as well be at Wrestlemania, but it will sell PPVs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »

Offline TheGreenMonster

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 40
Congrats on going 50-0 Floyd

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 05:35:26 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
It's a boxing match right? I think MMA style, McGregor would dominate him.

But yea if it's only striking, this is going to be bad.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Congrats on going 50-0 Floyd

Good point actually, forgot he is only 49-0 to this point. More of an ego builder for record purposes than any real threat for Mayweather. Doubt this fight is even close.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
I'm surprised so many people are sleeping on McGregor right now. He's primarily a stand up striker in the UFC so going to the ring won't be the craziest transition for him. If Floyd were to get into an octagon he would get mopped but I don't think that will be the case with McGregor going to the ring. He's pretty shifty and hits from odd angles.

With that said, I think Floyd will win but it's not gonna be easy. I think his experience and the type of boxer he is will be big factors. But I wouldn't be surprised if McGregor catches him with a good one and steals a win. Remember this is the same guy who jumped 2 weight classes and people thought he would get wrecked and we know how that turned out.
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 02:10:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I'm a big MMA guy and I certainly expect Mayweather to win this fight, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if McGregor pulled it out.  He is 27 and fights a lot.  He is mostly a stand up fighter (though obviously uses a lot of kicks which he won't be able to here).  McGregor has a slightly longer reach and he is a Southpaw, who will have a more untraditional stance (given the differences in their sports).  Mayweather is 40.  He hasn't fought in like 2 years.  He was never a power puncher and hasn't gotten a TKO in like 7 or 8 years.  He has always struggled with Southpaws and guys taller than him. 

And the thing about those big boxing gloves, is they protect the hand allowing you to hit a lot harder.  I wouldn't be surprised if McGregor makes it a bit of brawl and actually connects one or two flush shots on Mayweather and knocks him down.  McGregor hits very hard, much harder than Mayweather. 

Ultimately, I think Mayweather wins a very easy decision or gets a late round TKO, because he is such a skilled boxer who always goes the distance, but as I said I wouldn't be all that surprised to see McGregor hurt him with some power shots early.  I also think if McGregor is making a fight of it early, Mayweather will be the one that gets frustrated and makes the mistake and not McGregor (which seemed to be some of the early scuttlebutt yesterday).

Given just how big a betting underdog McGregor is, if I were to bet, I'd take the flyer on McGregor, because it really does only take 1 shot, and McGregor does have that in him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 02:32:06 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
I'm surprised so many people are sleeping on McGregor right now. He's primarily a stand up striker in the UFC so going to the ring won't be the craziest transition for him. If Floyd were to get into an octagon he would get mopped but I don't think that will be the case with McGregor going to the ring. He's pretty shifty and hits from odd angles.

With that said, I think Floyd will win but it's not gonna be easy. I think his experience and the type of boxer he is will be big factors. But I wouldn't be surprised if McGregor catches him with a good one and steals a win. Remember this is the same guy who jumped 2 weight classes and people thought he would get wrecked and we know how that turned out.

Well, when he jumped two weight classes he got choked out the first time (to avoid getting knocked out), so he kind of did get wrecked that time (and most people did not think he was going to get wrecked at the time).

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Most Mayweather fights I would say go the distance as Floyd will play it safe to secure the victory. But I have a feeling all the little shots McGregor takes are going to affect his stamina and he'll be an easy target in the late rounds for a TKO.

Boxing is a different game, and supposedly McGregor struggles against low level boxers in training.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm a long time boxing fan, and could care less about MMA. This fight is a total joke, and you would have to be a fool to buy this on PPV. Having said that, I would have been interested if they made this a hybrid fight, where they would make it into a kickboxing match. It's not that Mayweather being great that would make the difference, but just the fact that McGregor is fighting a professional boxer. This is typical Mayweather, where he waits to sign for a fight until he knows he has a clear advantage (in this case, strictly boxing rules).

Like I said, I could care less about this fight, so I don't know much about the details involved. Will this be a sanctioned fight, which would allow Mayweather to go 50-0? Or is McGregor considered an amateur, making this more of an exhibition?

I believe MMA fighters need to wear gloves, but they're no where near the size of boxing gloves. McGregor may be able to knock guys out in MMA with gloves so small, that they're virtually fist. However, I doubt his punch will have anywhere near the impact with a boxing glove.

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 02:56:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I'm a long time boxing fan, and could care less about MMA. This fight is a total joke, and you would have to be a fool to buy this on PPV. Having said that, I would have been interested if they made this a hybrid fight, where they would make it into a kickboxing match. It's not that Mayweather being great that would make the difference, but just the fact that McGregor is fighting a professional boxer. This is typical Mayweather, where he waits to sign for a fight until he knows he has a clear advantage (in this case, strictly boxing rules).

Like I said, I could care less about this fight, so I don't know much about the details involved. Will this be a sanctioned fight, which would allow Mayweather to go 50-0? Or is McGregor considered an amateur, making this more of an exhibition?

I believe MMA fighters need to wear gloves, but they're no where near the size of boxing gloves. McGregor may be able to knock guys out in MMA with gloves so small, that they're virtually fist. However, I doubt his punch will have anywhere near the impact with a boxing glove.
gloves protect the hand allowing you to hit harder.  The impact is padded more, so there is a lesser effect, but one of the reasons that so many boxers end up with brain damage is the much bigger glove.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 03:03:39 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

gloves protect the hand allowing you to hit harder.  The impact is padded more, so there is a lesser effect, but one of the reasons that so many boxers end up with brain damage is the much bigger glove.

It goes both ways. Boxing gloves have more surface area which adds to the target that can reach you which means more partial strikes overall, but it does also spread out the impact from a punch and "lessen" the blow. McGregor won't be hitting harder. His hands will just be safer when he does hit. Then again, he might only be hitting air.

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Is anyone taking into consideration the conditioning between the 2 sports? I dislike Mayweather, but he's smart here. He's taking on an MMA fighters who usually go all out for 3 mins for under 5 rounds. Mayweather dodges and weaves for at least 6-8 rounds. His plan is to tire out McGregor
 rounds 1-5 while picking his spots with counter punches and then in round 6-10 tying to inflict damage.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 03:36:24 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Is anyone taking into consideration the conditioning between the 2 sports? I dislike Mayweather, but he's smart here. He's taking on an MMA fighters who usually go all out for 3 mins for under 5 rounds. Mayweather dodges and weaves for at least 6-8 rounds. His plan is to tire out McGregor
 rounds 1-5 while picking his spots with counter punches and then in round 6-10 tying to inflict damage.

I hesitate to chalk it up to conditioning, because McGregor will be well-conditioned. But you're absolutely right that there is a difference in the type of stamina he will need. Not only will he be going for more rounds, but he'll still be taking shots here and there for the first five rounds. McGregor has never taken shots for five straight rounds. That will be different for him, mentally and physically. Even blows that don't knock you out or wind you, still affect your stamina. That's why I think he'll be a sitting duck for some bigger, cleaner shots in the later rounds like you suggest.