Author Topic: Would you rather have Rondo or Sullinger back right now?  (Read 22586 times)

Re: Would you rather have Rondo or Sullinger back right now?
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
So basically, the C's need to go out in free agency and see if they can find a point guard who can effectively run the team and play hard in the regular season. Rondo can sit on the bench for the regular season until the playoffs come around, then he becomes the starter because the playoffs are the only time he shows up to play anyway. Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture? Every other "star" player in the NBA plays hard regular season AND playoffs, but somehow we have Rondo who absolutely coasts in the regular season. This is unacceptable behavior from a "star" player. Give me Sullinger. At least he plays hard every night.

Sure, as long as the point guard who "coasts" is still able to be top 5 in assists (leading the league 2 years running), top 5 in rebounds/game for point guards (again leading the league 2 straight years) and be 1st or 2nd team all-defense 4 years running. Point guards that can do that while coasting aren't as plentiful as you seem to think. Who do you think fits the bill?

if that point guard plays and his team goes 20-23, i don't necessarily need him (or want him)

don't worry , this answer won't be accepted by many and the rebuttal will be , how can you diss a guy who once scored 40 plus in a playoff game. Its like Al Bundy reminiscing that he once scored 4 touchdowns in one game

I think the best thing here is to understand for EVERYONE is that I think myself and guys like triboy16f like TEAM play. Last night everyone who played scored. Jeff was not the only guy who scored 20+...2 other people did. Everyone seemed to bang on the boards a little harder and everyone seemed to know their position. That's the type of ball I love. That's the type of ball that has been significantly better for THIS TEAM.

« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2013, 06:37:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
So basically, the C's need to go out in free agency and see if they can find a point guard who can effectively run the team and play hard in the regular season. Rondo can sit on the bench for the regular season until the playoffs come around, then he becomes the starter because the playoffs are the only time he shows up to play anyway. Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture? Every other "star" player in the NBA plays hard regular season AND playoffs, but somehow we have Rondo who absolutely coasts in the regular season. This is unacceptable behavior from a "star" player. Give me Sullinger. At least he plays hard every night.

Sure, as long as the point guard who "coasts" is still able to be top 5 in assists (leading the league 2 years running), top 5 in rebounds/game for point guards (again leading the league 2 straight years) and be 1st or 2nd team all-defense 4 years running. Point guards that can do that while coasting aren't as plentiful as you seem to think. Who do you think fits the bill?

if that point guard plays and his team goes 20-23, i don't necessarily need him (or want him)

Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce both played through every bad streak we've seen over the last few years. The 27-27 finish to the 2010 season, the 10-11 finish in 2011, the 15-17 start in 2012 and the 20-23 start this year. Are they also players that you don't necessarily need or want? Again, start looking for point guards that have never been on teams that went worse than 20-23, pickings will be rather slim.

« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

don't worry , this answer won't be accepted by many and the rebuttal will be , how can you diss a guy who once scored 40 plus in a playoff game. Its like Al Bundy reminiscing that he once scored 4 touchdowns in one game

The rebuttal is that it's an extremely uninformed opinion. The HOF has plenty of players in it who have gone through stretches as bad (or worse) than 20-23. It's an easy example of how ridiculous comments or criticisms of Rondo sound when you try and apply them to any other player in the nba (like, for example, KG or PP). I'm unsurprised that you'd endorse it.

« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
An interesting idea, but pretty simple to solve.

Talent wins championships.
Stars win championships.

Rondo has Sullinger beat in both.  The Heat have a terrible front court in the traditional sense and they're still dominating. 

We need star power that can carry us for games.  Rondo can win a game or two vs the Heat by himself.  Sullinger can not.

I find it hard to believe a guy that rebounds the ball and plays tough can't spark a win against the Heatles.

If we found out and know anything. It's that the Heat are rattled by physicality and have a weakness for rebounding.

If rebounding and playing tough was all it took to beat the Heat they wouldn't be the best team in the league.

« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2013, 07:56:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I thought this was a cut and dry argument ,   

Here it is taking a mear 14 pages to hash it out    ;D   LoL

« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Rondo. Sully is nice, but he's also a rookie. Rondo can be the best player in any series in the playoffs (excluding Lebron)

« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2013, 09:24:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce both played through every bad streak we've seen over the last few years. The 27-27 finish to the 2010 season, the 10-11 finish in 2011, the 15-17 start in 2012 and the 20-23 start this year. Are they also players that you don't necessarily need or want? Again, start looking for point guards that have never been on teams that went worse than 20-23, pickings will be rather slim.

we have seen what happens to our team when kg or pierce is out of the lineup. Its a disaster field, especially kg.

So with Rondo and one or both of these guys out of the lineup, we are doomed. With rondo and these guys in the lineup we are 50-50 this year. Without rondo and these guys we are like 16-7.

As hard i'm on Rondo i do admit , during the 2nd half of the year, things could of changed. Especially Rondo turning things on and playing harder. Its just hard to know bc all i witnessed was a half azzed team that was hanging on for their lives.

If Rondo comeback healthy and we got the same lineup we have now and start playing the same crappy way we did earlier this year than its Rondo. If we play better or Rondo fits in/enhances, than during his break he probably increased respect for the rest of the team and changed his mentality

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:31:35 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

we have seen what happens to our team when kg or pierce is out of the lineup. Its a disaster field, especially kg.

So with Rondo and one or both of these guys out of the lineup, we are doomed. With rondo and these guys in the lineup we are 50-50 this year. Without rondo and these guys we are like 16-7.

Obviously this doesn't address what I said at all. You're saying we don't need Rondo because we were 20-23 when he played. PP and KG were also playing during that entire 20-23 start and they're indispensable. You're claiming that KG and PP have much more of an impact on the team than Rondo yet the way the team played for the first half of the season was apparently completely unrelated to their play. Why is that?

There's also this:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/56110/life-without-kg-a-defensive-travesty-for-the-celtics

"But as John Schuhmann of NBA.com first noted on Twitter a few weeks back, Garnett’s life-or-death impact on Boston’s D mysteriously vanished upon the return of Avery Bradley. Since Bradley’s January 2 debut, Boston has been almost exactly as good defensively regardless of whether Garnett plays or sits, and they’ve been a bit better offensively, per NBA.com."

It's simple math to see that if we're almost exactly the same on defense and better on offense when KG's on the bench then we're playing better without him than with him. This is over a *three month* period, and clearly it flies in the face of "Its a disaster field" without KG.

« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2013, 11:03:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

are you trying to jig the truth or something?? If you watch one of the many loses with rondo being the dominant ball holder, you will see that indeed he coasts and does plenty of other "bad habits" on the court. Little things that put the team out of sync, suck the energy out of everyone and we end up losing.

Most pg's in the league can be a top assist guy, as long as you have a good player or two to pass to. Westbrooke could prob have the same assist or more if he just concentrated being a pg and passed it to durant and everyone else in okc. Rondo of the past didn't get as many assist as now, but he made the right choice usually and passed it to the open guy. Then that open guy passed it to someone else or to someone at the corner for the three.  The new rondo wants to break the assist record and does it by "selectively" passing. He wants screens after screens, picks after picks, so KG or PP can get free to do their thing. But at the cost of again sucking the life out of everyone else.

Claiming any good pg could lead the league in assists is a pretty meaningless comment. It's like saying any top big could lead the league in rebounding or make the all defense team if they really wanted to so KG's accomplishments in those areas don't mean anything. But aside from that the claim that Rondo's assist streak sucks the life out of everyone is utter nonsense. The team was 21-18 last year when his streak started and went 18-9 down the stretch. They went to game 7 of the ECF with Rondo leading the playoffs in assists by a historically large margin.

I don't think you could have watched the end of last season and convinced anyone that Rondo was sucking the life out of Bradley or Bass or Pietrus or Steamer. I also think you'd have trouble getting anyone to buy Terry (who's best month of the season came during the streak) or Sully or even Green (who, again, was getting more shots playing with Rondo) were having the life sucked out of them by Rondo. It's pure celticsblog fantasy.

Why 2008-2010 rondo didn't do this is bc, the big three were the leaders of the team and rondo the side but important player. This is the role Rondo fits best. The blue collar version. From hs, college, Rondo was never considered a star. And not to be down on the guy, but he just doesn't have all the tools to be one in the nba either. If he were smart, he wouldn't let all this "star label" get to him and play the way he has in the past.  I'm not stating he can't grab the horns and try to single handedly win games when the team is down, but the best way for him to make an impact is to do all the little things that made him successful in the past.  Example, setting picks, diving for the ball, grabbing rebounds then trying to finish for a layup, staying with his man on defense, not bossing guys around so much and barking for the ball every single time after a rebound and most importantly passing the ball to the open guy most of the time, regardless what his name is on the back of his jersey

Rondo does pass the ball to the open man, grab rebounds, sets picks. He takes more layups than the average point guard and his defense has been good enough to make1st or 2nd team all-defense 4 straight years. I don't see why his calling for the ball to try and get an outlet pass and start a transition is a problem, although I understand that people like to criticize him both for trying to get the team into a fast break and walking the ball up court.

So clearly he does the little things that help a team win. But why should that be all that he does? How many other perennial all-stars would you say should avoid "grabbing the horns" unless his team is down in a game? Answer: none, because that's ridiculous. And go ahead and claim that Rondo doesn't have the tools to be a star but he clearly is one and has been for a while.

Rondo dominates playoff games (and series) on a fairly regular basis, and he does it in a number of ways. In the last 4 years of playoffs he's got 7 of the 9 highest assist games in that time and more than half of all the games with 12 or more assists. He has 7 of the 8 highest rebounding games for pgs and almost 3/4 of the 10+ rebound games. He has more triple doubles than the rest of the league combined over that time period. Last year in the playoffs the only player in the league to generate (score or assist) more points a game than Rondo was LeBron. Clearly he has the tools to be a star in the nba.

« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2013, 10:27:20 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Larry Bird

then Rondo
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2013, 11:46:20 AM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39

While we're at it, cut KG, Pierce, Lee, Green and the rest of the team.  A load of scrubs.  We need to sign real winners out of the China and European league who have never lost an NBA game.  THOSE are the type of winners we want on our team.

« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2013, 12:36:34 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
We were 21-23 with Sullinger, and we are 17-11 without him. He clearly made the team worse.

I don't need a PF who made our team play less than .500 ball.

Ever since Sullinger went out we have played much better as a team.

Now that Sullinger is out, Green has blossomed into the player we all hoped we could be. Sullinger clearly was holding him back.

« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

This just doesn't make sense to me. If your argument is that you don't want/like Rondo because he coasts throughout the regular season and yet he is still easily a top 10 PG if not top 5, then wouldn't you want him even more? If he can screw his head on straight and play hard throughout the season would he then be the #1 PG since he isn't putting in full effort now?

Or is your argument is that because this team struggled and went 20-23 at the start of the season and the blame should be put on his shoulders alone despite other players being injured/not hitting their stride yet? Because in that case we should be clearing out a lot of other lockers first since Rondo was averaging a double double during that period. He was most certainly not the sole reason for the struggles and in fact probably prevented our record from being even worse than that.

I think the only valid argument that I've heard expressed as to why to get rid of Rondo (and maybe this is what you were trying to say and I misunderstood) is that Rondo doesn't fit with this current Celtics roster. And since he is our only truly valuable trade asset he should be moved to bring in pieces that would better fit this team's style and help us build for the future. And even that I disagree with, but its a matter of opinion over how this team best operates and what is best for the future, but definitely not a matter of discussing whether Rondo is a star or not (that point is proven by the eye test and the stats that back it up).

I don't think most people here who are favoring Rondo are doing so based purely on his past performance Al Bundy style, but are more focused on his talent that was still on display even during the 20-23 rough start and over the last few seasons.

Rondo has tremendous ability and if you think he is somehow not putting in enough effort that just means he could be even better. BballTim has posted the stats to back up the point in leading the league in assists and rebounds for PGs plus being towards the top for his position defensively.

Yes people harp on about his playoff performances, but thats where you earn your money and your reputation and Rondo has put together some spectacular performances. His ability to turn it up a notch in crunch time and in big games shouldn't be held against him, its an ASSET. Maybe its a signal he could put more effort in during the regular season but its is DEFINITELY a signal that come playoff team he can carry a team, a trait only a handful of guys have in the association. 

Rondo is an NBA star, whether you want him on the Celtics or not is another question, but you can't deny his talent.

« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2013, 02:28:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

This just doesn't make sense to me. If your argument is that you don't want/like Rondo because he coasts throughout the regular season and yet he is still easily a top 10 PG if not top 5, then wouldn't you want him even more? If he can screw his head on straight and play hard throughout the season would he then be the #1 PG since he isn't putting in full effort now?

Or is your argument is that because this team struggled and went 20-23 at the start of the season and the blame should be put on his shoulders alone despite other players being injured/not hitting their stride yet? Because in that case we should be clearing out a lot of other lockers first since Rondo was averaging a double double during that period. He was most certainly not the sole reason for the struggles and in fact probably prevented our record from being even worse than that.

I think the only valid argument that I've heard expressed as to why to get rid of Rondo (and maybe this is what you were trying to say and I misunderstood) is that Rondo doesn't fit with this current Celtics roster. And since he is our only truly valuable trade asset he should be moved to bring in pieces that would better fit this team's style and help us build for the future. And even that I disagree with, but its a matter of opinion over how this team best operates and what is best for the future, but definitely not a matter of discussing whether Rondo is a star or not (that point is proven by the eye test and the stats that back it up).

I don't think most people here who are favoring Rondo are doing so based purely on his past performance Al Bundy style, but are more focused on his talent that was still on display even during the 20-23 rough start and over the last few seasons.

Rondo has tremendous ability and if you think he is somehow not putting in enough effort that just means he could be even better. BballTim has posted the stats to back up the point in leading the league in assists and rebounds for PGs plus being towards the top for his position defensively.

Yes people harp on about his playoff performances, but thats where you earn your money and your reputation and Rondo has put together some spectacular performances. His ability to turn it up a notch in crunch time and in big games shouldn't be held against him, its an ASSET. Maybe its a signal he could put more effort in during the regular season but its is DEFINITELY a signal that come playoff team he can carry a team, a trait only a handful of guys have in the association. 

Rondo is an NBA star, whether you want him on the Celtics or not is another question, but you can't deny his talent.

you just summed up some important points without focusing on them. Some of us are focusing on the aspect that its Rondo, a triple double machine and his past playoff performances speak volumes. It is out of question to state it was mainly his fault were stunk earlier this year. There HAS to be other factors

Than you have people like myself that have seen a Rondo transition from a blue collar, non "all star" , that actually helps/enhances "team play" to the earlier this season Rondo, who walks up the ball, doesn't pass the ball to everyone even if they are free, takes risks to steal balls more frequently, stuffs stats YET we are only a 500 team.

Yes if rondo works harder which means 2008-2010 rondo plus utilizes some new skills (jump shot improvement), he would be a top three pg (maybe one can argue #1). It doesn't matter if he can turn it up in the playoffs for someone like myself BC you have to get into the playoffs in the first place. 23-20 = half the season gone. Team is out of whack, where is the indication all of a sudden things will change?? Even though we have had excellent 2nd halfs before to propel us up in the standinds, at least in the beginning of the year, eveyrone was still working hard (and as a cohesive unit), even Rondo.

Again, people earlier this year were enormed by Rondo bc of his assist totals, we got a new leader to take over pp, kg, last years playoff performances still fresh on their minds, yet we are playing 500 ball. Its like a guy scoring 30 a night , but their team out of sync , not performing as a group and playing mediocre ball. If we had scrubs, than yeah, the 30 pt a night guy can't be  really the blame. But our team this year was loaded with talent, Rondo got his stats yet we still lost. When he was out due to injuries, we won.  So either Rondo or the new Rondo and this new group is not compatible or Rondo's ways is the problem.  Its not realistic to say its everyone else fault.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:37:18 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
you just summed up some important points without focusing on them. Some of us are focusing on the aspect that its Rondo, a triple double machine and his past playoff performances speak volumes. It is out of question to state it was mainly his fault were stunk earlier this year. There HAS to be other factors

Than you have people like myself that have seen a Rondo transition from a blue collar, non "all star" , that actually helps/enhances "team play" to the earlier this season Rondo, who walks up the ball, doesn't pass the ball to everyone even if they are free, takes risks to steal balls more frequently, stuffs stats YET we are only a 500 team.

Yes if rondo works harder which means 2008-2010 rondo plus utilizes some new skills (jump shot improvement), he would be a top three pg (maybe one can argue #1). It doesn't matter if he can turn it up in the playoffs for someone like myself BC you have to get into the playoffs in the first place. 23-20 = half the season gone. Team is out of whack, where is the indication all of a sudden things will change?? Even though we have had excellent 2nd halfs before to propel us up in the standinds, at least in the beginning of the year, eveyrone was still working hard (and as a cohesive unit), even Rondo.

Again, people earlier this year were enormed by Rondo bc of his assist totals, we got a new leader to take over pp, kg, last years playoff performances still fresh on their minds, yet we are playing 500 ball. Its like a guy scoring 30 a night , but their team out of sync , not performing as a group and playing mediocre ball. If we had scrubs, than yeah, the 30 pt a night guy can't be  really the blame. But our team this year was loaded with talent, Rondo got his stats yet we still lost. When he was out due to injuries, we won.  So either Rondo or the new Rondo and this new group is not compatible or Rondo's ways is the problem.  Its not realistic to say its everyone else fault.
So what you are saying is that it was solely Rondo's fault that we were playing so poorly until he was injured?

That despite similar streaks of poor play for the last few years, where Rondo played as you referred to it as "2008-2010" Rondo, that we would not have righted the ship had Rondo not gotten injured and continued on to finish the season not in the playoffs? That this team that is currently in line to make the playoffs without Rondo is better than the same exact team would be with Rondo? And it doesn't matter if Rondo can turn it up in the playoffs? Playoffs are all that matters.

And to suggest that this Celtics team would have missed the playoffs with Rondo but were, as recently as a week ago, within reach of a top 4 seed and possibly the Atlantic without him is laughable.

I'm not trying to be a Rondo apologist. I'm just saying that Rondo certainly wasn't the sole reason we struggled for the first half. I'm not saying he wasn't partially to blame. I saw how he was dominating the ball too much overall to let the offense flow and let people get into rhythm. But to put the entire blame on one player when it was clearly a team failure is unfair.

What you are saying is that either it was Rondo or everyone else, what I'm trying to say was that it was a combination of things. That Rondo played a factor as did everyone else on the team. I don't think its as simple as Rondo is gone, we've now hit our stride so obviously we are suddenly a better team thus Rondo was the problem. Its too simple. Its using him as a scapegoat.