Author Topic: Celtics (2-0) at Wizards (1-1) Game #3 10/30/23  (Read 12205 times)

Celtics (2-0) at Wizards (1-1) Game #3 10/30/23
« on: October 29, 2023, 10:17:03 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11847
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (2-0) at Washington Wizards (1-1) 
Monday, October 30, 2023
7:00 PM ET
TV: NBCSB, NBCSWA, NBA-LP
Radio: 980 AM, 92.9 The Rock
Regular Season Game #3, Road Game #2
Capital One Arena

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Jrue Holiday vs Tyus Jones

Shooting Guard
vs
Derrick White vs Jordan Poole

Small Forward

vs
Jaylen Brown  vs  Kyle Kuzma

Power Forward [/b]
vs
Jayson Tatum vs  Deni Avdija

Center [/b]
vs
Kristaps Porzingis vs  Daniel Gafford

Celtics Reserves
Delano Banton
Oshae Brissett
Sam Hauser
Al Horford
Luke Kornet
Svi Mykhailiuk
Payton Pritchard
Lamar Stevens
Jordan Walsh

2 Way Players
JD Davison
Nathan Knight

Injuries/Out
Neemias Queta  (foot) out

Head Coach
Joe Mazzulla

Wizards Reserves
Patrick Baldwin
Bilal Coulibaly
Johnny Davis
Danilo Gallinari
Anthony Gill
Corey Kispert
Mike Muscala
Ryan Rollins
Delon Wright

Two Way Players
Jared Butler
John Butler, Jr
Eugene Omoruyi

Injuries/Out

Landry Shamet (toe) out
Daniel Gafford (ankle) questionable

Head Coach

Wes Unseld, Jr

Game Notes
After one game at home,  the Celtics are on the road again to take on the Washington Wizards.  This is the 3rd game for both teams.  The Celtics beat the Knicks on opening night and then beat the Heat in their home opener.  The Wizards lost 143-120 to the Pacers on the road in their first game, and then beat the Memphis Grizzlies 113-106 in their home opener on Saturday. 

This is the first of 4 games between these two teams.  They will meet one more time in Washington on March 17.  They will meet twice more in Boston on February 9 and April 14.   Last season, the Celtics won the series 2-1.  They won both games in Boston but lost the final game in Washington.   The Celtics are 198-120 overall all time and they are 80-74 all time in Washington.  The Wizards have won 4 of the last 5 games that these two teams have played in Washington.   After sweeping the Wizards in 2018-19, the Celtics have won just 6 of the last 12 games.

This will be Kristaps Porzingis' first game back in Washington after the offseason trade to the Celtics.  It will also be Danilo Gallinari's first game in Boston after signing there last offseason and then tearing his ACL that kept him from playing a single game for them.  I can imagine that he will want to beat the team that traded him before he got a chance to play for them.   Mike Muscala will also be returning to the Garden for the first time since signing in Washington as a free agent. 

Two-way center Neemias Queta was ruled out for this game by the team on Monday morning due to a sore foot.  For the Wizards,  Daniel Gafford is listed as questionable with an ankle injury.  He left Saturday's game after injuring the ankle but returned to play the second half.   He didn't practice on Sunday and is a game time decision for this game.   If he can't play, Mike Muscala or Danilo Gallinari will likely start in his place.  Landry Shamet is out with a toe injury. 

Key Matchups
vs
Jaylen Brown  vs  Kyle Kuzma
Kuzma is averaging 23.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 block per game.  He is shooting 43.9% from the field but just 14.3% from beyond the arc.  He is a career 33.3% 3 point shooter and so he is capable of hitting them at a better percentage than he has this season.  Jaylen Brown had a rough first game but bounced back in the last game and should have another strong game in this one. 

vs
Derrick White vs Jordan Poole
Poole is averaging 22.5 points, 3 rebounds, 3.5 assists, and 1 steal per game.  He is shooting 36.6% from the field and 22.2% from beyond the arc.  He is a 33.8% career 3 point shooter.  Derrick White had a big game against the Heat and hopefully he can pick up where he left off in this game. 

Honorable Mention
Jrue Holiday vs Tyus Jones
Jones is averaging 15 pooints, 2.5 rebounds, 6.5 assists and 1.5 steals per game.  He is shooting 50% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc.   Jrue should be able to slow him down somewhat and lower those percentages as well as to keep him from getting the Wizards into their sets quickly. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is always the key to winning.  The Celtics need to defend the paint without letting up on their perimeter defense.  They need to make defense their priority and their identity in order to win a championship.  It will take a lot of effort and dedication to defend on each player's part to play the type of consistent winning defense they need to.

Rebound - It's important for teams to rebound to give themselves extra possessions and to limit their opponents' possessions.  Much of rebounding is effort and hustle and when the Celtics give extra effort and hustle on the boards, it usually translates into the rest of their game.  Each player needs to commit to crashing the boards and going after every rebound on both ends of the court. 

Be Aggressive - In the past, the Celtics have lost games that they should have won because they allowed teams to play harder and be more aggressive than them.  The Celtics must be the more aggressive team on defense, in grabbing rebounds, in going after loose balls, and in taking the ball to the basket for all 48 minutes.  They can't allow the Wizards to be the team that plays harder.   

Stay Focused - The Celtics have to stay focused.  They have to stay focused on playing the right way, taking and making good shots, playing good defense, boxing out and rebounding, and on having each other's backs and trusting each other.  They also have to focus on making good passes and taking care of the ball.  They turned the ball over 15 times against the Heat and need to cut that number down. 

X-Factors
On the Road - The Celtics are once again playing on the road.  They have to overcome the distractions that come with playing on the road like travel, staying in hotels, missing family, an unfamiliar building and a hostile crowd.  They have to stay focused and not allow those distractions to take away from playing the game the right way.

Officiating -Officiating is always an x-factor in every game. Every crew officiates differently. Some call it tight, others let them play. Some favor the home team. Some favor the road team. Some just make bad, head scratching calls.  The refs always start the season with points of emphasis and make it difficult for teams who aren't used to those things being called. They will also be calling technical fouls on flops and that could make things more difficult as they try to differentiate between actual fouls and flops. The Celtics need to adjust to how the refs are calling the game and not allow bad calls or no calls to take away their focus from playing the game.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 12:57:49 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (2-0) at Wizards (1-1) Game #3 10/30/23
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 10:18:56 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811
Let's go Cs and make it 3 in a row!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 10:19:16 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11847
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Silas    for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!!

Beat the Wizards!!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 10:36:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
another great game thread!!! thanks flc and a tp. so far this year we have had two game threads and two wins. not a coincidence!!!!

time for win number three!!!

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo winning celtics!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 11:13:20 PM »

Offline Silas

• Danny Ainge
Thanks for another great game thread and the TP FLCeltsFan and a TP for you.  I'm going to the game tomorrow night and I'll be looking for a win.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 11:52:38 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Thanks for another great game thread and the TP FLCeltsFan and a TP for you.  I'm going to the game tomorrow night and I'll be looking for a win.

You should take a little sign that says  CELTICS STRONG!!!!

Have fun at the game, I hope it is a blowout win for us.
 :)

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 11:53:05 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
TP to FL for the game thread... Great as always.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 11:59:01 PM »

Offline Silas

• Danny Ainge

You should take a little sign that says  CELTICS STRONG!!!!

Have fun at the game, I hope it is a blowout win for us.
 :)

Thanks.  I hope it's a blowout also.  I want to see Q play with the starters. 

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 12:25:52 AM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
Lets go Celtics. TP to FLCeltsFan for the game thread

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 04:54:47 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Let's see Jordan Walsh get some minutes... maybe run out Quetta as well.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 06:00:09 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Like see Big Q for a spell…hopefully a blowout and get see more reserves
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 08:02:42 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I love Celtic game nights!!! Have a great day everyone see ya tonight for a Molly Whopping!
ok fine

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 08:04:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I want to see more Brissett as he earned some minutes after the last game.

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 02:07:19 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Queta is out with a foot injury, so your wishes won’t all come true.

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2023, 02:18:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!

Oh yeah I completely forgot we have Walsh on the team lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller