Author Topic: Raptors (1-2) at Celtics (2-1) Round 2 Game 4 9/5/20  (Read 42137 times)

Re: Raptors (1-2) at Celtics (2-1) Round 2 Game 4 9/5/20
« Reply #840 on: September 06, 2020, 01:30:35 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
KEYS TO GET BACK ON TRACK:

1.  Do not look so dejected while trying to play a sport.  Life is mostly good.  Smile and kick butt.

2.  Do not sulk after turnovers or linger after non calls.

3.  Do not take a high dribble through the teeth of one of the best NBA defenses as if it's a cakewalk.

4.  Keep it up with the mostly excellent defense. 

5.  Shoot the ball more like Kemba.  Just let it fly without measuring so hard. 

6.  Brown-get your nice step back turnaround j's flowing again to get your offense back on track.

7.  Tatum- take care of each possession.  Less turnovers = more shots.  Also work to
     set guys up to get yourself into a good flow.  Start the game with your inner Gordon Hayward
     flowing, then gradually you can shift to your inner MJ/Kobe once the flow is there and the shots
     are falling.  Don't start the game with a high level of difficulty MJ/Kobe vibe. 

8.  Brown and Tatum-lead with your energy and don't think about anything else.

9.  Give the other team their due for being extremely good.  That's an easy mental shortcut to avoid
     feeling entitled to a victory rather than slogging and suffering for it.

Tatum doesn't have an inner Gordon Hayward lol, he's a limited playmaker. I think less ballhandling duties so he can focus on scoring instead of doing something he's not good at would be a good adjustment from us. Get Tatum and Brown moving off the ball so they can quickly get into their attacks when they catch the ball and alternate ballhandling duties between Smart and Kemba.

I would LOVE some of the bold.  Raps have adjusted their def to try and stop Tatum and Brown, we need to make some offensive adjustments to free them up more.  I just never agree with sitting players on one side of the court, not moving.  The def player can just rest then.   I wish we ran more plays with backcuts and more screening away from the ball.

« Reply #841 on: September 06, 2020, 06:10:05 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Imagine if the C's had only won the coin toss for the 12th-14th pick last year so we could have drafted Hero instead of Romeo. Hero is exactly what the Cs needed yesterday.  Someone who can hit the outside shot when the others went cold. 

« Reply #842 on: September 06, 2020, 06:14:57 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Imagine if the C's had only won the coin toss for the 12th-14th pick last year so we could have drafted Hero instead of Romeo. Hero is exactly what the Cs needed yesterday.  Someone who can hit the outside shot when the others went cold.

That's why I want to pick up Bane in this year's draft.

« Reply #843 on: September 06, 2020, 06:24:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I said this the other day too but The Bucks offense runs better through Middleton then through The Greek Freak.

« Reply #844 on: September 06, 2020, 06:24:57 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
LOL - I posted this before Hero's two late/clutch 3's.

« Reply #845 on: September 06, 2020, 07:23:21 PM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
I would definitely give Time Lord more minutes at the expense of Theis because Time Lord has shown he is a bigger threat at both ends of the court

« Reply #846 on: September 06, 2020, 07:54:11 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

1.  Do not look so dejected while trying to play a sport.  Life is mostly good.  Smile and kick butt.

3.  Do not take a high dribble through the teeth of one of the best NBA defenses as if it's a cakewalk.

6.  Brown-get your nice step back turnaround j's flowing again to get your offense back on track.

7.  Tatum- take care of each possession.  Less turnovers = more shots.  Also work to
     set guys up to get yourself into a good flow.  Start the game with your inner Gordon Hayward
     flowing, then gradually you can shift to your inner MJ/Kobe once the flow is there and the shots
     are falling.  Don't start the game with a high level of difficulty MJ/Kobe vibe. 

9.  Give the other team their due for being extremely good.  That's an easy mental shortcut to avoid

Tatum doesn't have an inner Gordon Hayward lol, he's a limited playmaker. I think less ballhandling duties so he can focus on scoring instead of doing something he's not good at would be a good adjustment from us. Get Tatum and Brown moving off the ball so they can quickly get into their attacks when they catch the ball and alternate ballhandling duties between Smart and Kemba.

I meant take a more methodical approach to the game mostly....at the start of games...I agree he shouldn't act like a plodding point guard.  Better if the ball moves...Actually Hayward at times can also be careless with turnovers by trying to dribble through thick traffic instead of moving the ball...

« Reply #847 on: September 06, 2020, 09:34:22 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

Not to be reductive but:

1. Hit shots;

2. See #1.

Basically this.

I saw a stat that said Boston was 5-22 on uncontested threes, while Toronto was 6-8.  So we hit less open threes than they did despite getting nearly three times as many good opportunities.

Now, it’s not necessarily as simple as just chalking it up to luck.  Maybe we were pressing, or maybe our heads weren’t in the game or whatever.  I do know that most of Jaylen’s shots weren’t even close.  He was all over the place.  But I’m hopeful that, given the same quality of looks, our shooters will experience some positive regression to the mean in game 5.

They’ll need it.

Seems everyone thought that, after the end of Game 3 disaster, the Celtics would come out in Game 4 angry and playing hard. Apparently, they were still a bit shell-shocked over the lost golden opportunity and played that way. Brown was criticized for not rotating over to cover Anunoby on the last play of Game 3 - though I still put a lot of blame on Tatum for letting go of Anunoby to wander over to the strong side and Coach Stevens for getting too cute with some hybrid, gimmicky defense.

So then Brown comes out in Game 4 and shoots terribly and looks lost. The rest of the team looks depressed and uninspired, suffering through an emotional hangover after blowing Game 3 in the worst way possible. I still don't know how you catch and release a shot within a half-second.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:41:21 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #848 on: September 06, 2020, 10:34:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Not to be reductive but:

1. Hit shots;

2. See #1.

Basically this.

I saw a stat that said Boston was 5-22 on uncontested threes, while Toronto was 6-8.  So we hit less open threes than they did despite getting nearly three times as many good opportunities.

Now, it’s not necessarily as simple as just chalking it up to luck.  Maybe we were pressing, or maybe our heads weren’t in the game or whatever.  I do know that most of Jaylen’s shots weren’t even close.  He was all over the place.  But I’m hopeful that, given the same quality of looks, our shooters will experience some positive regression to the mean in game 5.

They’ll need it.

Seems everyone thought that, after the end of Game 3 disaster, the Celtics would come out in Game 4 angry and playing hard. Apparently, they were still a bit shell-shocked over the lost golden opportunity and played that way. Brown took a lot of blame for not rotating over to cover Anunoby on the last play of Game 3 - though I still put a lot of blame on Tatum for letting go of Anunoby to wander over to the strong side and Coach Stevens for getting too cute with some hybrid, gimmicky defense. If someone goes with Anunoby, the Raptors have nowhere to go with the inbounds pass.

So then Brown comes out in Game 4 and shoots terribly and looks lost. The rest of the team looks depressed and uninspired, suffering through an emotional hangover after blowing Game 3 in the worst way possible. I still don't know how you catch and release a shot within a half-second.

I agree with all of that. .05 is not enought time to catch and shoot but no one is mentioning that.

« Reply #849 on: September 06, 2020, 10:37:47 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14

Not to be reductive but:

1. Hit shots;

2. See #1.

Basically this.

They’ll need it.

Seems everyone thought that, after the end of Game 3 disaster, the Celtics would come out in Game 4 angry and playing hard. Apparently, they were still a bit shell-shocked over the lost golden opportunity and played that way. Brown took a lot of blame for not rotating over to cover Anunoby on the last play of Game 3 - though I still put a lot of blame on Tatum for letting go of Anunoby to wander over to the strong side and Coach Stevens for getting too cute with some hybrid, gimmicky defense. If someone goes with Anunoby, the Raptors have nowhere to go with the inbounds pass.

I agree with all of that. .05 is not enought time to catch and shoot but no one is mentioning that.

Have you guys been watching basket-ball for 15+ years? you only need 0.4 seconds to catch and shoot, obviously it depends on who is taking the shot and how quick his release but if you watched that play 10000000 like I did OG Anunuoby already had his knees bent and hands in the perfect position to just rise and release...

Enough cannot be said of how incredible of a pass that was by Kyle Lowry.

« Reply #850 on: September 06, 2020, 10:42:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Not to be reductive but:

1. Hit shots;

2. See #1.

Basically this.

They’ll need it.

Have you guys been watching basket-ball for 15+ years? you only need 0.4 seconds to catch and shoot, obviously it depends on who is taking the shot and how quick his release but if you watched that play 10000000 like I did OG Anunuoby already had his knees bent and hands in the perfect position to just rise and release...

Enough cannot be said of how incredible of a pass that was by Kyle Lowry.

I think it was a great pass but I think it was a slow clock....

« Reply #851 on: September 06, 2020, 10:43:09 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I would definitely give Time Lord more minutes at the expense of Theis because Time Lord has shown he is a bigger threat at both ends of the court

Good luck with that... we all know how stubborn Brad is. He will continue to ride Theis when analytics show Timelord though not very productive stat wise, shows we are a far better team when he is on the court that when he is off. He can disturb the pull up threes of the pitbull guards of Toronto and are aware of where Rob is when driving.

« Reply #852 on: September 06, 2020, 10:59:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
wrong thread

« Reply #853 on: September 06, 2020, 11:34:08 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I meant take a more methodical approach to the game mostly....at the start of games...I agree he shouldn't act like a plodding point guard.  Better if the ball moves...Actually Hayward at times can also be careless with turnovers by trying to dribble through thick traffic instead of moving the ball...
His isolation heavy approach is methodical enough :laugh:, I actually hope that he can speed up his decision making and movement to throw defences off balance - he really shouldn't be carrying any sort of significant playmaking role with his tendency to stagnate the offence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA