Author Topic: Celtics (2-0) at 76ers (0-2) Round 1 Game 3 8/21/20  (Read 29421 times)

Celtics (2-0) at 76ers (0-2) Round 1 Game 3 8/21/20
« on: August 20, 2020, 09:44:30 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (2-0) at Philadelphia 76ers (0-2) 
Round 1  Game #3 Road Game #1
Friday, August  21, 2020
6:30 PM ET
TV:  TNT, NBCSB, NBCSP
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub, 97.5 The Fanatic
The Field House

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Kemba Walker vs Shake Milton

Shooting Guard

vs
Marcus Smart vs Josh Richardson

Small Forward
vs
Jaylen Brown vs Matisse Thybulle

Poward Forward
vs
Jayson Tatum vs Tobias Harris

Center
vs
Daniel Theis vs Joel Embiid

Celtics Reserves
Javonte Green
Semi Ojeleye
Vincent Poirier
Marcus Smart
Brad Wanamaker
Grant Williams
Enes Kanter
Robert Williams III
Tacko Fall
Tremont Waters
Carsen Edwards

Injuries
Romeo Langford (wrist) probable
Jaylen Brown (thigh) probable
Gordon Hayward (ankle) out

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Sixers Reserves
Al Horford
Alec Burks
Furkan Korkmaz
Mike Scott
Raul Neto
Kyle O'Quinn
Norvel Pelle
Marial Shayok

Injuries
Ben Simmons (knee) out
Glenn Robinson III (oblique) out

Head Coach
Brett Brown

Game Notes
The series now shifts to the Sixers for a home game of sorts with the Celtics leading the series 2 games to none.  The Sixers were dominant at home this season losing only 2 home games in Philadelphia.  When they shifted to the bubble, they went 2-2 in the home seeding games.  Without the home crowd there live and the comforts of being in their own homes,  I don't know if this shift to Philadelphia home games will make a difference. 

Both teams made a starting lineup change before Game 2.  The Celtics made the change out of
necessity as they needed to replace the injured Gordon Hayward and did so by inserting Marcus Smart at the two and moving Jaylen Brown to small forward.  The 76ers made a move to try to match up better with the Celtics starters by moving Matisse Thybulle to the starting lineup and moving Al Horford to the Bench.   I have listed the same starters from last game, but wouldn't be surprised to see one or both coaches change up the starters once again. 

The 76ers started out strong in Game #2 and got out to a 14 point lead in the first quarter.  The Celtics made a run in the second quarter behind solid 3 point shooting and never looked back.  The Celtics ended the game with a 27 point win, leaving the Sixers demoralized and wondering what they can do to get a win over the Celtics. 

When Gordon Hayward went down, many commentators felt that the Celtics would sink due to a lack of production from their bench with Marcus Smart leaving the bench for the starting lineup.  However, the reserves pulled together to make up for the loss of Hayward with a collective 41 points and 22 rebounds.  The Celtics will need another big effort from the bench once again in order to win this piivotal game. 

Romeo Langford played very well in Game 2 in spite of playing with torn ligaments in his wrist and I expect he will be ready to play in this game again.  Jaylen Brown is playing with a thigh bruise from a knee in the thigh from Joel Embiid in Game 1.  I expect that he will also be ready to play in this one.  Gordon Hayward remains out with the ankle sprain.   Ben Simmons (knee) and Glenn Robinson (oblique) both remain out for the Sixers. 

Key Matchups
vs
Daniel Theis vs Joel Embiid
Embiid had a big game 2 with 34 points and 10 rebounds.  So far,  the Celtics have played defense by committee on him and have tried to keep him from receiving the ball in the paint. 
He has gotten off to strong starts in the first two games but has faded somewhat by the end of the game.  Embiid is averaging 23.0 points, 11.6 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.8 blocks per game.  The Celtics need to try to limit his production but the first two games have shown that he can have a big game and still lose the game.     

vs
Jayson Tatum vs Tobias Harris
With Al Horford going to the bench, Tobias Harris moved up to the power forward spot.  He finished Game 2 with 13 points and 10 rebounds.  Matisse Thybulle was supposed to be the defensive stopper to limit Tatum but that didn't quite work out.  Tatum put up career high in points of 32 points in Game 1 and then topped that with 33 points in Game 2.  Celtics will be looking for another strong game from Tatum.  Harris will need to show up for the Sixers if they hope to have a chance to win a game in this series. 

Honorable Mention
Marcus Smart vs Josh Richardson
Richardson finished Game 2 with 18 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists and was the Sixers second leading scorer for the game.  He also was tasked with trying to help to slow down Jaylen and Jayson.  He has the ability to hit big shots and is a good defender.  I'm assuming that Marcus will once again get the start but that could change. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is always the key to winning every game.  The Celtics are 4th in the league with a defensive rating of 106.5 while the Sixers are not far behind at 8th with a defensive rating of 108.4.  It will be very important for the Celtics to play tough team defense and keep the Sixers from finding any rhythm on offense.   They especially need to try to slow down Embiid, especially in the paint.  The Celtics held the Sixers to 23.8% from beyond the arc and need to play tough perimeter defense in this game also.  The Celtics must match or exceed the Sixers effort and intensity on defense.   

Rebound - The Sixers have size and Have dominated the Celtics on the boards in their 4 regular season games and also the first playoff game.  The Sixers out-rebounded the Celtics 202-154 in their 4 regular season games and 50-43 in Game 1.  The Celtics got the advantage on the boards in Game 2 43-38 and that was big for the Celtics.  If the Celtics want to win this one, it is crucial that they go all out to crash the boards once again.   

Play Hard All 48 Minutes -  In Game 1, we saw a familiar pattern that we have seen many times with this Celtics team.  They built a double figure lead and then let up on effort and let the Sixers back into the game to take a lead at one point before the Celtics closed them out.  In Game 2, we also saw another familiar pattern where the Celtics came out slow and let the Sixers build a 14 point lead in the first quarter but they came back strong in the second quarter and went on to blow them out.  The Celtics need to come out strong and play hard every  minute until the final buzzer. 

Coaching - The playoffs are like a chess game with each coach making moves to counter the other and then having to make moves to match the ones made by the other coach.  They make make more changes to the starting lineups or they may change rotations or we may see new strategies on offense or defense.   So far, Brad Stevens has out-coached Brett Brown and he will need to continue to do so if the Celtics want to win this series. 

Bench Play
-  The Celtics bench has not been one of their strong points this season.  That is, not until Game 2 of this series.  In Game 1, the Celtics got just 8 points from their bench while the Sixers got 23 from their reserves.  In Game 2, the Sixers got 20 points off their bench, including 4 from Al Horford.  With Gordon Hayward out and Marcus Smart moving to the starting lineup, the Celtics needed to get production from their bench and they did.  The Celtics reserves scored 41 points and pulled down 22 rebounds.  The Celtics will need that type of effort from their bench once again in order to get a win in this game. 

X-Factors
Neutral Site -   Even though this is considered a home game for the Sixers, it is still mostly a neutral site.   Yes, the Sixers get 3 panels of virtual fans to only one panel of virtual fans for the Celtics.  The Sixers will also get the louder piped in cheers, but it's not like a real home court advantage.   The Sixers were great at home this season but not so much on the road.  They were 30-4 at home and just 12-26 on the road.  The Celtics were 26-10 at home and 22-14 on the road and so were more consistent between home and road.  The Celtics haven't proved that they play much better in this neutral setting, going 2-2 in the seeding home games and it remains to be seen if the home designation here gives them any type of advantage.   

Consistency -  The Celtics got good production from their bench in game 2.  Jayson Tatum has been on fire and both Jaylen and Kemba have been playing well.  The Sixers have looked like the Celtics' defense has them shaken and they have struggled on both ends of the court.  The Celtics need to be consistent with their effort and production.  They can't slack off now.  Hopefully the Sixers will be consistently bad also. 

Officiating - Officiating is always an x-factor.  Every crew calls the game a little bit differently.  Some call it tight. Some let the teams play.  Some refs have an agenda and others call it fair.  The Celtics have to adjust to the way they are calling the game and not let the calls that go against them take away their focus on playing the right way. The officials haven't been bad in the first 2 games and hopefully they will call it fair and let them play in this game also.

Re: Celtics (2-0) at 76ers (0-2) Round 1 Game 3 8/21/20
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 09:46:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
1st YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH TP FLCF FOR A GREAT GAME THREAD

GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAT THE sixers.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Ogaju   for being the first to post in the game thread!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!

Beat PhiLA!!!!!!!! 

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 09:50:13 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
This time on their home floor, let's mop 'em away

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 09:53:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
lol there is no change of scenery in the Bubble. Cs will run them off the court. I called this series 4-1 during the first game. I may have given the sixers too much credit.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 09:57:32 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Let’s gooooo!!! I’m really enjoying these dominant performances from JT
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 10:46:13 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Let's go Cs!  🖖
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 10:46:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
2 down.

2 to go.

Let’s go!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 10:55:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
TP FLCeltsFan!

Lets take a commanding 3-0 lead. Honestly I really think if we can start Game 3 strong, PHI will feel defeated and basically fold for good. I mean they already looked a bit defeated near the end of Game 2.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 10:59:02 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
TP FLCeltsFan!

Lets take a commanding 3-0 lead. Honestly I really think if we can start Game 3 strong, PHI will feel defeated and basically fold for good. I mean they already looked a bit defeated near the end of Game 2.

Those Game 2 blowout wins usually leads to a Game 3 letdown. I hope the Celtics hold their composure. Don't be surprised if Tobias Harris has a breakout game

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 11:23:44 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
LET'S GO CELTICS
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 11:32:58 PM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151
Lets Go Celtics!!!            :)           Beat the Sixers!!!

TP...             FLCF...

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 08:16:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
TP FLCeltsFan!

Those Game 2 blowout wins usually leads to a Game 3 letdown. I hope the Celtics hold their composure. Don't be surprised if Tobias Harris has a breakout game
I'm fully expecting this.  He will be aggressive.  C's need to take advantage with their swarming defense, get him to commit offensive fouls.

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 09:13:36 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
TP FLCeltsFan!

Yeah that's the other side to it. PHI will start playing desperate and come out aggressive. But at least the C's have some experience with countering early on like how they fell behind 14 in the 1st quarter last game and roared back.

Definitely can't discount Harris. Feels like he has at least 1 25+ point game in him this series
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
The defense has been phenomenal and I can tell that’s Brads doings! The offense has been good, I’m just hoping for consistency! If there is anything I worry about it’s the consistency of the offense, like I just don’t know how they are going to act from game to game.

One thing is for sure, KEMBA CANNOT STINK! Brown and Tatum having bad games is 1 thing but Kemba just cannot. He can praise Tatum all he wants, KEMBA IS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE COURT and needs to show that. If Kemba gets close to 30, JB hits 22 we will win. But Tatum...... 🙄 I just dunno sometimes he scares me.