Author Topic: Whoa, Karl-Anthony Towns "Frustrated", Possibly To Be In Trade Talks  (Read 20269 times)

Re: Whoa, Karl-Anthony Towns "Frustrated", Possibly To Be In Trade Talks
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I've seen KAT be awesome and other times not so good. Can he play defense? C's need a strong defensive center going forward to battle with Embiid not sure KAT is that guy.

« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2018, 03:59:49 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I've seen KAT be awesome and other times not so good. Can he play defense? C's need a strong defensive center going forward to battle with Embiid not sure KAT is that guy.

I think he can be a fine defender, but with so many elite defensive players on the perimeter, that is not what matters as much.

KAT is an elite shooter and offensive players. The Wolves offensive rating with him on the court was 127, which is one of the top marks in the NBA. His shooting stretches the defense, but he can score in so many ways.

« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
The Wolves are screwed. They built a team that is not good enough to compete. They have to stay committed to Wiggins/Towns (or similar young talent). Both Wiggins and Towns have weaknesses, so its going to be hard for them to get an equal return. At the same time, they are probably their best chance (along with Butler) to attract more talent.

Their best path forward is to try to find some super glue guys that will rebound/play defense, and hope that Wiggins/Towns improve.

« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
C's have the best package established talent irving or up and coming jaylen, and thats not including tatum. Much rather jaylen than luka, no comparsion in terms of athleticism, and jaylen stats are as good as luka and luka is playing euroball!

« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2018, 05:04:10 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I wonder if Teague/Wiggins could get you Lowry/DeRozan.

Then I wonder if Towns could get you Drummond/Rozier/draft picks.

A Lowry/Rozier/Derozan/Butler/Drummond core would be pretty good for the next few years. They would still be young enough to develop, and they would have guys on long-term contracts.

Then, you hope a guy like Patton can develop.

« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Wolves are screwed. They built a team that is not good enough to compete. They have to stay committed to Wiggins/Towns (or similar young talent). Both Wiggins and Towns have weaknesses, so its going to be hard for them to get an equal return. At the same time, they are probably their best chance (along with Butler) to attract more talent.

Their best path forward is to try to find some super glue guys that will rebound/play defense, and hope that Wiggins/Towns improve.
Disagree they need to stay commited to Wiggins and Towns. Butler and Towns, absolutely but not Wiggins.

Wiggins is an awful defender. He is a below average shooter who gets his points in a ridiculous, chucker fashion. He doesn't see the floor well and is a well beliw average passer.  He needs to go. He is a net negative on the team. He is about to take 25% of the team's salary. I would trade him at the deadline next year because he has a poison pill provision on his contract that makes it nearly impossible to trade him this offseason.

« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2018, 05:15:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
How about a 3-way (that is equally unlikely as the original proposed trade)

To PHO:     Irving ($20M)
To BOS:     Towns ($7.8M) , Chandler ($13.5M)
To Minn:    #1 Pick ($6,7M), a future pick (maybe Clippers)

Filling in around this to be sure the salaries work (throw in Nader somewhere if you want).  I don't think this is likely but I do think this is fair if the Celtics were to go in this direction (trading Irving).

Smart
Brown
Hayward
Horford
Towns

Rozier
Tatum
Morris
Chandler
Yabusele
Ojeleye

That is a pretty good team.  Maybe not as good as a team with Irving in the first year but this team is young and durable.  We would probably add some bench wings (easy enough to find).

Did I mention that this is hypothetical and I don't think the Celtics are going to trade Irving but it is more likely that they trade him for a player that can contribute immediately over a draft pick.

Why does Minnie do this deal? The ceiling with the 1 pick is probably a player about the caliber of Towns.

If the Cs did this deal, where is Theis in the lineup?
FWIW, the only reason I could see Minny doing the deal is if Jimmy Butler (who is apparently tight with Kyrie) tells them "I'm leaving unless you bring in Kyrie".   If they are at risk of losing Butler for nothing in free agency next summer, it could change the equation.  NBA stars have so much leverage... so if those two want to play together, it could be a problem.  That said, they might enjoy playing in somewhere like Los Angeles instead.  Minny is the pits.

« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2018, 05:33:10 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
How about a 3-way (that is equally unlikely as the original proposed trade)

To PHO:     Irving ($20M)
To BOS:     Towns ($7.8M) , Chandler ($13.5M)
To Minn:    #1 Pick ($6,7M), a future pick (maybe Clippers)

Filling in around this to be sure the salaries work (throw in Nader somewhere if you want).  I don't think this is likely but I do think this is fair if the Celtics were to go in this direction (trading Irving).

Smart
Brown
Hayward
Horford
Towns

Rozier
Tatum
Morris
Chandler
Yabusele
Ojeleye

That is a pretty good team.  Maybe not as good as a team with Irving in the first year but this team is young and durable.  We would probably add some bench wings (easy enough to find).

Did I mention that this is hypothetical and I don't think the Celtics are going to trade Irving but it is more likely that they trade him for a player that can contribute immediately over a draft pick.

Why does Minnie do this deal? The ceiling with the 1 pick is probably a player about the caliber of Towns.

If the Cs did this deal, where is Theis in the lineup?
FWIW, the only reason I could see Minny doing the deal is if Jimmy Butler (who is apparently tight with Kyrie) tells them "I'm leaving unless you bring in Kyrie".   If they are at risk of losing Butler for nothing in free agency next summer, it could change the equation.  NBA stars have so much leverage... so if those two want to play together, it could be a problem.  That said, they might enjoy playing in somewhere like Los Angeles instead.  Minny is the pits.
Wait, I am confused, I posted this in another thread (not this one) and my reply to Sophomore was that I think it is very unlikely that the Wolves trade Towns, I was just discussing the theme of the thread as a hypothetical if they were to trade him, getting a #1 pick from PHO in a highly acclaimed draft year along with another pick would be a pretty fair deal.

If they do trade Towns for a couple of picks, Jimmy Butler would be justifiably upset.  I am sure he would want to keep the good player so they can win now.  But my proposed deal had Irving going to PHO, not Minny.  I don't see even an unlikely deal with Minny direct.  It would have to be Towns plus another $10M or so coming back.  That was where Chandler came in.

« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2018, 05:52:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
There is no way DA trades Irving for KAT straight up. It would take KAT and Wiggins to get Irving. Irving is a much better player.

« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2018, 04:58:23 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
There is no way DA trades Irving for KAT straight up. It would take KAT and Wiggins to get Irving. Irving is a much better player.

Irving can't stay healthy. He has played 60 games or less in 4 of 7 seasons. That doesn't even include the 1 year of college when he only played 9 games.

Players like Irving rarely start staying healthy as they get older. I hope he gets traded.

« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Irving can't stay healthy. He has played 60 games or less in 4 of 7 seasons. That doesn't even include the 1 year of college when he only played 9 games.

Players like Irving rarely start staying healthy as they get older. I hope he gets traded.

And if he were to go to Minnesota, Thibs would have him in a wheelchair by the end of the preseason, lol, so, honestly, I have to think that the best place for Kyrie, at least in terms of being under the care of the best medical staff in the business so as to give him the best chance at a long career, would have to be Phoenix, but yeah, he isn't being traded to the Suns, or at least I don't see it happening, anyway, but who knows? Strange things happen.

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
KLove for CAT

:D

« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2018, 12:12:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wonder how hard Danny will try to pursue Towns this offseason.  If there is an opportunity you know sly Danny will be involved

I wonder if the Wolves would bite on a package of Horford, Brown and Rozier for Kat and fillers.

I would even consider including the 2019 Kings 1st

KAT is a stud

« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2018, 12:21:53 AM »

Offline Vegas Green

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
That's way too much. Should be pick heavy not player heavy anyeay on what C's give them in return

« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2018, 12:24:15 AM »

Offline Vegas Green

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
More like Rosier, Semi, clips pick, kings pick, Memphis pick