Author Topic: Where did our defense go?  (Read 5101 times)

Re: Where did our defense go?
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2022, 11:51:49 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Smart seems to attribute it to effort (including from himself) and the team being a little too reliant on Williams as a backstop:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/marcus-smart-dishes-fixing-celtics-defense-jaylen-browns-mvp-chances-and-more

It's a very small sample size, but:  Off Rtg: 119.8 (3rd of 30) Def Rtg: 118.7 (28th of 30) Net Rtg: +1.0 (15th of 30)
matches what I was saying.  We don't have a rim protector to bail the team out, so they aren't playing as tight on the wing and letting teams get better shots off. 

you need the rim protector.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2022, 04:51:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We miss Rob quite a bit.  Rim protection is severely lacking without him.  Al seems a step slower, Kornet never did protect the rim, nor did Vonleh really.  Grant is too short to do this, which means we should give Kabengele some run. 

Mazullo seems to like small ball and the results have not been good.   He also routinely plays several poor defenders together whereas Udoka tried to hide them
I don't think Maz likes small ball so much as the makeup of the roster requires small ball.

Joe Maz said this sir:
"“I liked the idea of it. I liked the skill, I liked the speed and I liked the basketball IQ that was out there with that (small) lineup,” Mazzulla said. “If there’s opportunity presented to get to something like that again I think we try it.”

https://www.clnsmedia.com/celtics-going-small-and-embracing-flexibility-in-preseason/

That tells me he is itching to play small ball.   And we just got to the NBA finals with double big lineups.   We got murdered with Grant at the five spot.   Now  you could be right, it could be more personnel.   

But I think some coaches who were guards like smaller lineups as a source of personal validation, and sympathy for their position.   

Other teams are driving the rim constantly with Rob gone.   They're going to challenge us all year until he is back or we prove we can stop it.    Some of our guys are not natural rim protectors and they are going to have to do it taking charges, good positional defense and banging to protect the rim.   Of course, they will get called for fouls but you have to do something to keep people off the rim.  The defense of the perimter will have to be that much better to stop penetration.

Rob is a great goalie type of center but we don't have that right now.

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2022, 04:59:09 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34886251/checking-heat-bucks-celtics-nba-east-contenders-first-week

Interesting that Tim Bontemps noticed how well Brogdon fits into this roster. I haven’t seen this emphasized on this blog (maybe I missed it). I still find it hard to see how this is a poorly constructed roster.

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2022, 07:49:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
We miss Rob quite a bit.  Rim protection is severely lacking without him.  Al seems a step slower, Kornet never did protect the rim, nor did Vonleh really.  Grant is too short to do this, which means we should give Kabengele some run. 

Mazullo seems to like small ball and the results have not been good.   He also routinely plays several poor defenders together whereas Udoka tried to hide them
I don't think Maz likes small ball so much as the makeup of the roster requires small ball.

Joe Maz said this sir:
"“I liked the idea of it. I liked the skill, I liked the speed and I liked the basketball IQ that was out there with that (small) lineup,” Mazzulla said. “If there’s opportunity presented to get to something like that again I think we try it.”

https://www.clnsmedia.com/celtics-going-small-and-embracing-flexibility-in-preseason/

That tells me he is itching to play small ball.   And we just got to the NBA finals with double big lineups.   We got murdered with Grant at the five spot.   Now  you could be right, it could be more personnel.   

But I think some coaches who were guards like smaller lineups as a source of personal validation, and sympathy for their position.   

Other teams are driving the rim constantly with Rob gone.   They're going to challenge us all year until he is back or we prove we can stop it.    Some of our guys are not natural rim protectors and they are going to have to do it taking charges, good positional defense and banging to protect the rim.   Of course, they will get called for fouls but you have to do something to keep people off the rim.  The defense of the perimter will have to be that much better to stop penetration.

Rob is a great goalie type of center but we don't have that right now.
I'd like a small ball lineup also if my only big man options are Vonleh and Kornet.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2022, 08:16:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Small ball isn't the problem. It's the personnel at center in those small ball lineups that is the issue. If Timelord was the only big, I don't think we would hear nearly as many complaints.

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2022, 10:24:07 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
We have one of the best shot blockers in the NBA. He also is hurt. The entire roster is poorly constructed because we have a hole at center? He’s hurt.

If Brad thought that he wouldn’t be healthy for the playoffs, he prob would have signed someone. So it’s basically down to bloggers’ opinion of RW’s health versus Brad, a guy with access to records and doctors. Also Brad has met RW and actually talked to him. He can get an idea of how much he can contribute. I have confidence that Brad will make the right decision before the trade deadline. Until then, we will have to be frustrated with our 3-1 record.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 10:59:29 PM by MarcusSmartFanClub »

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2022, 09:37:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2022, 03:42:19 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Our defensive rating is up to 9th overall.  In addition, Cleaning the Glass tracks defensive and offensive ratings that exclude garbage time (they have a conservative definition of it in my opinion).  When garbage time is excluded, the C's have the 5th-best defense.  Nice to see that this has bene steadily improving prior to the return of Rob.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/league/summary

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2022, 06:58:39 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Our defensive rating is up to 9th overall.  In addition, Cleaning the Glass tracks defensive and offensive ratings that exclude garbage time (they have a conservative definition of it in my opinion).  When garbage time is excluded, the C's have the 5th-best defense.  Nice to see that this has bene steadily improving prior to the return of Rob.

And in fact in the last two weeks they rank Boston 3rd - again excluding garbage time and last possessions.

The Phoenix game should have shown us: this team can defend. But it’s already been ramping up for a couple of weeks now.

Media people generated a narrative around this that didn’t adapt well to the changing reality on the court.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2022, 08:42:03 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

And in fact in the last two weeks they rank Boston 3rd - again excluding garbage time and last possessions.

The Phoenix game should have shown us: this team can defend. But it’s already been ramping up for a couple of weeks now.

Media people generated a narrative around this that didn’t adapt well to the changing reality on the court.

Yeah ive been monitoring their drating and it was steadily rising. Now we officially have a top 10 offense and defense with rob out.

The eye test also shows me that when they really needed it, they can put the clamps, even in the heat games in ot. Despite butler killing us, those shots were tightly contested.