Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 286025 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #885 on: December 08, 2022, 09:00:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Are New Orleans for real? First in West right now..got great nucleus in Zion, Ingram, McCollum, Big V, Murphy, Nance, Alvarado..can they keep it up?
Two thoughts:

(1) They are #1 not because they are playing so well but because the rest of the top teams in the West have stunk up the joint. GSW need to act together. DEN still struggling after the comebacks from long term injuries to MPJ and Murray. LAC have been a no-show because Kawhi hasn't been able to comeback. CP3 got old which has taken PHO out of the mix.

The good news here is that if this continues the West could be wide open. The bad news is that some of these underperforming contenders (particularly GSW & DEN) could get their act together and then wipe the floor with the rest of the West.

(2) I made the same point / question about NOP when we faced them a few weeks ago. They have the talent to be a title contender. The top tier talent of Zion, Ingram and McCollum combined with the supporting cast of Herbert Jones, Jonas, Nance, Alvarado, Trey Murphy. That is a title contender talent wise.

That part said, I felt they lacked the urgency & maturity necessary to take advantage of the situation. I do not feel those guys understand how lucky they are / rare it is to have such a talented group of teammates and how special of an opportunity they have in front of them. That lack of urgency / understanding will be their undoing.

Secondly, the lack of maturity from their young stars Zion and Ingram appears to be a problem as well. Neither are real leaders yet. Both are more concerned with their own numbers than team wins. They don't look ready for high pressure playoff games to my eyes. They are not mature enough.

If NOP wakes up and sees what is in front of them, they have a very special opportunity to win the West. They have the talent. They have the supporting cast. They conference is wide open. It is all right in front of them for them to take. They just need need to understand the gravity of the situation, the urgency required to fulfill the task, and the maturity to put the team ahead of self. However, I do not see that happening for them though.

I feel like this is more of a false start. A season needed to realize how close they are and what they could be capable of if they just grew up already and took things more seriously. Next year looks a better bet for them.
I'm confused by this.  Ingram is averaging the fewest points of any season in New Orleans and Zion is way down from his last season.  They are taking less shots and sharing the ball, not just with McCollum, but Murphy, Jonas, and Jones and they are winning.

This is like the Amare Stoudemire version of teamwork -- if I take less shots therefore I am a better team player. No!

You have to put that energy that your are saving from taking less shots and put it into other things that lead to victories namely defense & rebounding. Or playmaking. Things that make the opponent less effective. Things that give your team more possessions. Things that make your teammates life easier.

What I see are young guys who still do not understand this.

What I see are young guys who still think the way they impact a game is through the lens of ... on offense, I get the ball and I can make the play / take the shot. That is the lack of maturity I am talking about.

Back to Amare, it should have been him learning to be a better defensive player and a double digit rebounder. That is what his team needed from him in terms of leadership and teamwork. Not just taking less shots / allowing others to score.

Amares do not lead teams to titles. Zion & Ingram still need a maturity jump before they are ready to go from Amare level to best player on a title winner level.

« Reply #886 on: December 08, 2022, 09:13:36 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Are New Orleans for real? First in West right now..got great nucleus in Zion, Ingram, McCollum, Big V, Murphy, Nance, Alvarado..can they keep it up?

I think so.  I placed a bet on them to win at least 49 games this year.

[dang]. I got the over at 44.5.

I chose to take the over of 48.5 at +210, because I believed in the Pels as the team to pop this year.

They also are very well positioned with lots of picks and young players other teams would want. They could easily add a major player when the opportunity presents itself, or just grow this thing organically.  Those Laker picks they have are looking pretty good right now.

« Reply #887 on: December 08, 2022, 09:56:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Two thoughts:

(1) They are #1 not because they are playing so well but because the rest of the top teams in the West have stunk up the joint. GSW need to act together. DEN still struggling after the comebacks from long term injuries to MPJ and Murray. LAC have been a no-show because Kawhi hasn't been able to comeback. CP3 got old which has taken PHO out of the mix.

The good news here is that if this continues the West could be wide open. The bad news is that some of these underperforming contenders (particularly GSW & DEN) could get their act together and then wipe the floor with the rest of the West.

(2) I made the same point / question about NOP when we faced them a few weeks ago. They have the talent to be a title contender. The top tier talent of Zion, Ingram and McCollum combined with the supporting cast of Herbert Jones, Jonas, Nance, Alvarado, Trey Murphy. That is a title contender talent wise.

That part said, I felt they lacked the urgency & maturity necessary to take advantage of the situation. I do not feel those guys understand how lucky they are / rare it is to have such a talented group of teammates and how special of an opportunity they have in front of them. That lack of urgency / understanding will be their undoing.

Secondly, the lack of maturity from their young stars Zion and Ingram appears to be a problem as well. Neither are real leaders yet. Both are more concerned with their own numbers than team wins. They don't look ready for high pressure playoff games to my eyes. They are not mature enough.

If NOP wakes up and sees what is in front of them, they have a very special opportunity to win the West. They have the talent. They have the supporting cast. They conference is wide open. It is all right in front of them for them to take. They just need need to understand the gravity of the situation, the urgency required to fulfill the task, and the maturity to put the team ahead of self. However, I do not see that happening for them though.

I feel like this is more of a false start. A season needed to realize how close they are and what they could be capable of if they just grew up already and took things more seriously. Next year looks a better bet for them.
I'm confused by this.  Ingram is averaging the fewest points of any season in New Orleans and Zion is way down from his last season.  They are taking less shots and sharing the ball, not just with McCollum, but Murphy, Jonas, and Jones and they are winning.

This is like the Amare Stoudemire version of teamwork -- if I take less shots therefore I am a better team player. No!

You have to put that energy that your are saving from taking less shots and put it into other things that lead to victories namely defense & rebounding. Or playmaking. Things that make the opponent less effective. Things that give your team more possessions. Things that make your teammates life easier.

What I see are young guys who still do not understand this.

What I see are young guys who still think the way they impact a game is through the lens of ... on offense, I get the ball and I can make the play / take the shot. That is the lack of maturity I am talking about.

Back to Amare, it should have been him learning to be a better defensive player and a double digit rebounder. That is what his team needed from him in terms of leadership and teamwork. Not just taking less shots / allowing others to score.

Amares do not lead teams to titles. Zion & Ingram still need a maturity jump before they are ready to go from Amare level to best player on a title winner level.
The Pelicans are 3rd in Defensive Rating and 6th in Offensive Rating.  They are outrebounding their opponents by over 3 a game.  2 more assists a game than their opponents, nearly 1.5 less turnovers per game than their opponents. Committing less fouls, shooting better from 2, 3, and the line.  The Pelicans are playing absolutely fantastic team ball on both ends of the floor, which is why they are winning 2 out of 3 games.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #888 on: December 09, 2022, 09:43:54 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Lebron is clearly in a steep decline at this point. Watching him in this Philly game you can tell his body is just turning on him.

« Reply #889 on: December 09, 2022, 09:47:58 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Lebron is clearly in a steep decline at this point. Watching him in this Philly game you can tell his body is just turning on him.

Like an old car on its last miles. Lakers are AD going ham or bust. Good luck sustaining that all season with an injury prone player.

« Reply #890 on: December 09, 2022, 10:12:21 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Oh my Lord is Philly really going to blow this?!

« Reply #891 on: December 09, 2022, 10:14:33 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Wooowwww - what an awful display of basketball by both teams down the stretch lol

Philly with a blown double digit lead in the last two minutes with tons of turnovers, and LAL missing two go-ahead free throws in the last ten seconds.  ;D

« Reply #892 on: December 09, 2022, 10:36:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I turned Philly la off thinking Philly had it wrapped with a 10 point lead or better .  Can’t believe LA almost came back .

« Reply #893 on: December 09, 2022, 11:57:46 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I turned Philly la off thinking Philly had it wrapped with a 10 point lead or better .  Can’t believe LA almost came back .

Says more about the Sixers than the Lakers tbh.

Also wild stuff at the end of Suns-Pels. If it was another team I'd agree that the Zion dunk was too much. But this is the same Suns who padded Bookers stat against us, remember the 70 pt game?

« Reply #894 on: December 10, 2022, 12:11:58 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
For all the people saying doncic is not mvp caliber because of his on off stuff, how do they explain Dallas making the WCF last year and beating teams like the bucks tonight? Like is their second best player dinwiddie or woods right now?

« Reply #895 on: December 10, 2022, 12:43:08 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
For all the people saying doncic is not mvp caliber because of his on off stuff, how do they explain Dallas making the WCF last year and beating teams like the bucks tonight? Like is their second best player dinwiddie or woods right now?

beat who?  i wish

« Reply #896 on: December 10, 2022, 12:45:46 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I do think he is MVP caliber. I just dont think he's clear cut MVP or an all-timer YET which is what a lot of people are saying. The talent, skill and mindset is there but needs to improve in some stuff, like defense for example.

« Reply #897 on: December 10, 2022, 01:33:23 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

beat who?  i wish

They did lose but it was pretty flukishly bad by his teammates in the last two minutes. Hardaway got fouled on a three and missed all 3 with two minutes left to foul out Giannis. Another teammate missed 2 in last minute. Doncic did deserve to win that game.

« Reply #898 on: December 10, 2022, 02:28:36 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Zion 360 dunk at the end of the Suns game. A little skirmish ensues between the two teams.

Pelicans-Suns rivalry going to be good in the West!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #899 on: December 10, 2022, 03:56:06 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

—————————

Source: Kirk Goldsberry
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics