Author Topic: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread  (Read 275651 times)

Re: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #1155 on: April 26, 2018, 09:14:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Jeez ... Russell Westbrook took 39 shots! And P.George took 26 shots!

That is 65 shots for 2 players. The team only took 89. Adams and Melo got another 6 apiece. The rest of the team only took 12 shots combined. Unreal. Talk about a two-man show.
Adams and Anthony shouldn't take more than 6 or 7 shots as they just aren't very good.  Obviously Westbrook and George took too many, but the simple reality is the Thunder don't really have anyone else that should be getting a lot of shots. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1156 on: April 26, 2018, 09:32:27 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

That is 65 shots for 2 players. The team only took 89. Adams and Melo got another 6 apiece. The rest of the team only took 12 shots combined. Unreal. Talk about a two-man show.
Adams and Anthony shouldn't take more than 6 or 7 shots as they just aren't very good.  Obviously Westbrook and George took too many, but the simple reality is the Thunder don't really have anyone else that should be getting a lot of shots.
I feel like Adams has been undervalued offensively for some time now.
He is solid at the very least. Maybe injured ATM. But he would never openly express his disatisfaction, even if he felt it.
That's just the type of guy he is.
Lets remember that 'Dipo also wasn't good enough ofensively last year, not even as a guy to be the staggered 2nd primary ballhandler when Russ sits.
I always had a difficult time buying that.
If you are wondering who was that guy, it was a rook Semaj Christon,
currently out of the league, in China,
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/chrisse01.html
that relieved Dipo of that duty after some initial experiments.
(spontanious applause)
It turned out he knew more than what he had opportunuty to show.
Maybe Steve could too. at least a shot or two more.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:42:46 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1157 on: April 26, 2018, 09:35:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Wiz soften up Raptors for Lebron to destroy Toronto forgood and send em home.

« Reply #1158 on: April 26, 2018, 09:55:48 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

He is solid at the very least. Maybe injured ATM. But he would never openly express his disatisfaction, even if he felt it.
Lets remember that 'Dipo also wasn't good enough ofensively last year, not even as a guy to be the staggered 2nd primary ballhandler when Russ sits.
(spontanious applause)

Yeah I think Adams is pretty good in the picknroll and can put in points pretty effectively, but that Gobert is just killing him in this matchup.  But I definitely think Adams and not Carmelo is the 3rd part of OKC's big 3, if you subscribe that it's a big 3 and not a big 2.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #1159 on: April 26, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

(spontanious applause)

Yeah I think Adams is pretty good in the picknroll and can put in points pretty effectively, but that Gobert is just killing him in this matchup.  But I definitely think Adams and not Carmelo is the 3rd part of OKC's big 3, if you subscribe that it's a big 3 and not a big 2.

Steve Adams shot 9.5 times per game in the regular season at 63%. Why on earth would they want to cut that number down to 6 or 7? If anything it should be a little higher. I think everyone agrees Carmelo is awful and should not shoot as often as he does though. I think just the fact that someone is suggesting Adams shoots too much shows how under appreciated he is as a player. He is also an incredible rebounder.

« Reply #1160 on: April 26, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

(spontanious applause)

I've never understood the love for Adams. The guy is, essentially, nothing more than a racist version of Greg Kite, imo, lol.

« Reply #1161 on: April 26, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

(spontanious applause)

I've never understood the love for Adams. The guy is, essentially, nothing more than a racist version of Greg Kite, imo, lol.

« Reply #1162 on: April 26, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

(spontanious applause)

What does that literally have to do with anything....?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #1163 on: April 26, 2018, 06:09:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

(spontanious applause)

I have no idea what it means either, but if it is saying Adams isn't that great or gets too much love.. read this from Zach Lowe (some great stats)

Adams tosses people out of the way like George Costanza fleeing a kitchen fire at a child's birthday party. He has rebounded almost 18 percent of Thunder misses while on the floor, a monstrous number that tops the league. Adams by himself has a higher offensive rebound rate than the Mavericks do as a team, and he's within armbar-length of a few other teams. Only two rotation players -- Andre Drummond twice and Joakim Noah in limited minutes last season -- have grabbed such a large share of available offensive rebounds in the past decade.

Adams might be made from something other than normal human flesh, blood and organs. People just bounce off of him -- like, far off of him -- as if there is some electrified force field around his body.

Having a one-man wrecking crew gives Oklahoma City the best of both worlds: They grab offensive rebounds without sacrificing transition defense, since Adams can handle the rebounding part solo -- freeing everyone else to run back. Opponents often send two guys to box him out, leaving them short on numbers even if they want to grab-and-go.

Only one team, Milwaukee, allows fewer transition chances than the Thunder, per Cleaning The Glass, and Adams is a big reason for that. (Interestingly, the Thunder allow a hair fewer fast-break chances with Adams on the bench. Their offensive rebounding rate also sinks to league-worst levels without Adams, so it's possible they just don't have anyone crash the glass. Those non-Adams lineups are also small and fast.)

Adams has transformed step-by-step into a perfect supporting player -- the third-best player on the team. Two seasons ago, he got comfortable dunking lobs from Westbrook on the pick-and-roll. Last season, he polished up his floater. Now, he's making quick-hitting reads on the move, and zipping lasers right into shooting pockets. He's a beast on defense, though he can get overextended a bit when the Thunder ask him to chase pick-and-rolls beyond the 3-point arc (which happens a lot). Overall, he's a wonderful player.

« Reply #1164 on: April 26, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

(spontanious applause)

I have no idea what it means either, but if it is saying Adams isn't that great or gets too much love.. read this from Zach Lowe (some great stats)

Adams tosses people out of the way like George Costanza fleeing a kitchen fire at a child's birthday party. He has rebounded almost 18 percent of Thunder misses while on the floor, a monstrous number that tops the league. Adams by himself has a higher offensive rebound rate than the Mavericks do as a team, and he's within armbar-length of a few other teams. Only two rotation players -- Andre Drummond twice and Joakim Noah in limited minutes last season -- have grabbed such a large share of available offensive rebounds in the past decade.

Adams might be made from something other than normal human flesh, blood and organs. People just bounce off of him -- like, far off of him -- as if there is some electrified force field around his body.

Having a one-man wrecking crew gives Oklahoma City the best of both worlds: They grab offensive rebounds without sacrificing transition defense, since Adams can handle the rebounding part solo -- freeing everyone else to run back. Opponents often send two guys to box him out, leaving them short on numbers even if they want to grab-and-go.

Only one team, Milwaukee, allows fewer transition chances than the Thunder, per Cleaning The Glass, and Adams is a big reason for that. (Interestingly, the Thunder allow a hair fewer fast-break chances with Adams on the bench. Their offensive rebounding rate also sinks to league-worst levels without Adams, so it's possible they just don't have anyone crash the glass. Those non-Adams lineups are also small and fast.)

Adams has transformed step-by-step into a perfect supporting player -- the third-best player on the team. Two seasons ago, he got comfortable dunking lobs from Westbrook on the pick-and-roll. Last season, he polished up his floater. Now, he's making quick-hitting reads on the move, and zipping lasers right into shooting pockets. He's a beast on defense, though he can get overextended a bit when the Thunder ask him to chase pick-and-rolls beyond the 3-point arc (which happens a lot). Overall, he's a wonderful player.

Agreed with all your points. TP.

Adams may not be the prototypical conventional 5 for today's NBA. But he certainly does everything you ask for in a big man pretty well. (Rebounding, defense, intangibles, and invokes team chemistry by his Perkins-like attitude when retaliating against opponents fuming against his teammates.)

« Reply #1165 on: April 26, 2018, 06:34:25 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

(spontanious applause)

I like Adams too but he is getting paid 22.4M this season and rising for the next 3 seasons.  It'll be interesting to see how much Capella gets in this new market.   

« Reply #1166 on: April 26, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

(spontanious applause)

I like Adams too but he is getting paid 22.4M this season and rising for the next 3 seasons.  It'll be interesting to see how much Capella gets in this new market.

Literally all OKC needs is just nothing but shooters that have height and length to switch on defense. If PG-13 leaves, it's definitely gonna hurt a lot more, as Melo is definitely going to re-sign with his PTO. (He would be foolish to leave that much money behind.) PG-13 and adding a few more veteran minimum players who can at least shoot the 3 ball well respectively.

« Reply #1167 on: April 26, 2018, 08:50:45 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

(spontanious applause)

Sorry for the confusion, guys. What I meant was that, much like Kite, Adams is, at least imo, a thug, and as for his being a racist, here you are -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HoON0hvFCw

Now, he did later apologize for those remarks, but come on. That's beyond ridiculous.

« Reply #1168 on: April 26, 2018, 09:03:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

(spontanious applause)

Sorry for the confusion, guys. What I meant was that, much like Kite, Adams is, at least imo, a thug, and as for his being a racist, here you are -

Now, he did later apologize for those remarks, but come on. That's beyond ridiculous.
Seriously? LOL
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1169 on: April 26, 2018, 10:07:28 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Quote from: Beat LA

I agree that it's beyond ridiculous that he apologized.