Author Topic: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread  (Read 42955 times)

Re: NFL 2023 Offseason Thread
« Reply #390 on: November 12, 2023, 07:47:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
NFL should do away with overseas games but they won’t cause of money..also do away with Thursday night game & do Saturday night

I fully agree, but I wonder if the reason they don't do Saturday games outside of holiday times is because of college football and networks being swamped with that already? But yeah, the Thursday night games are stupid. Never liked them and neither do the players

Thursday night is one of the best TV slot times, along with Sunday night, for pretty much anything.  Saturday night is notoriously one of the worst.  On Thursday night you’ll get causal NFL fans to watch, on Saturday night you’ll only get stalwarts.

The other issue though is the whole stream thing. That isn't everyone's "cup of tea". If people don't have subscription to stuff they probably aren't going to watch teams that aren't their own. Tbh I haven't either. I do like for example Monday Night Football being aired on ABC every week (a local channel for all).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #391 on: January 31, 2024, 11:28:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
But according to Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, his new team, the Los Angeles Chargers — a franchise known for being stingy — apparently outbid Michigan for the legendary head coach.

The Chargers, stung by the perception that they’re cheap, apparently broke the bank to get Jim Harbaugh back in the NFL.

Per multiple sources, it’s believed the former Michigan coach will receive an average salary of $16 million per year from his new team.

Harbaugh’s deal, based on prior reports, covers five years. If it’s all guaranteed, that’s an $80 million commitment.

That's a lot of money, but at the NFL level it makes sense to spend for an elite coach.  Apparently he was going to be making $12+ million at Michigan.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #392 on: February 01, 2024, 11:14:00 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Commanders hire Dan Quinn.

So Belichick and Vrabel will not be coaching in 2024. Wild.

« Reply #393 on: February 01, 2024, 11:23:36 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Belichick should coach a gap year at Boston College.  Hell, Vrabel's son went to BC so I wouldn't be against him either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #394 on: February 01, 2024, 12:27:05 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

Thought he go to Seattle & Washington get KC defensive coach
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #395 on: February 01, 2024, 12:41:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Bill really only made sense at teams that brought their coaches back i.e. Dallas, Philly, and to a lesser degree Pittsburgh (though the Steelers would have been unlikely to hire him given his age).  The Chargers would have made some sense as well, but Harbaugh was a better candidate for that job and he was obviously interested.

I am very surprised Vrabel didn't get a job though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #396 on: February 01, 2024, 02:25:42 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

I’d be surprised if Bill makes it back to the NFL as a head coach. Mostly due to his age, but also because of how things have gone for him since Brady left.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #397 on: February 01, 2024, 02:37:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I’d be surprised if Bill makes it back to the NFL as a head coach. Mostly due to his age, but also because of how things have gone for him since Brady left.

His only hope really is any of Dallas, Buffalo or Philadelphia start off 2024 poorly (or just have a mediocre season with a disappointing postseason) and they let go of their coach and add Belichick to "tighten the ship". He may have hoped that a month ago especially with Dallas but then Jerry Jones decided to keep McCarthy. I do think McDermott and Sirianni will be on the hot seat in 2024. Who knows about Dallas though, I mean they kept Jason Garrett for a long time

It's kind of telling though that a handful of these teams decided on the likes of Raheem Morris, Callahan, etc. as opposed to Belichick. And at his age, no way will a rebuilding team want Belichick, or even a younger one like Jacksonville. His options are dwindling.

I am stunned Vrabel doesn't have a job but I think he will definitely get one again maybe a year from now.

« Reply #398 on: February 01, 2024, 05:37:34 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pats finally have an OC.

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Patriots are hiring Alex Van Pelt as their offensive coordinator, per sources.

A former NFL quarterback and longtime respected assistant, Van Pelt spent the past four seasons as the #Browns’ OC. Now he fills a big spot on Jerod Mayo’s staff in New England.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Patriots 2023 Season
« Reply #399 on: February 01, 2024, 06:01:16 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
@TomPelissero
Follow
The #Patriots are hiring Alex Van Pelt as their offensive coordinator, per sources.

A former NFL quarterback and longtime respected assistant, Van Pelt spent the past four seasons as the #Browns’ OC. Now he fills a big spot on Jerod Mayo’s staff in New England.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #400 on: February 01, 2024, 07:06:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He's never called plays so you really have no idea what that will be like, does seem to come from a west coast offense background though
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 08:11:04 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip