Author Topic: Marquese Chriss Available: Celtics Should Jump on it UPDATE: TOO LATE!!  (Read 6969 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
GSW had to release him to save on salary. 

Celtics should pounce on this guy. He is very athletic, has power forward body who can play 5, has 3 point shot range, great shot blocker, only 22 years old.  Much more upside than Poirier, who should be cut to make roster room.  This guy was the 8th pick in the 2016 draft, probably the best athlete from that draft (per Fran F).  He has under-performed, but the Warrior brass actually liked him and did not want to release him.

Grab him before someone else does, Danny.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:59:24 PM by footey »

Re: Marquese Chriss Available: Celtics Should Jump on it and Sign him Now
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 01:47:13 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If I'm Chriss, I'm looking for regular minutes somewhere, rather than a 3rd/4th string gig where I may not play a meaningful minute all year.

And if I'm Danny, I only want Chriss if I think Rob Williams is done for the year, or worse.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Danny should scoop him up on a two year make good deal.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 02:24:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
and yet he cannot get steady minutes on bad nba teams. why not? i mean this as a real question. what makes teams who need talent reluctant to hang onto him?

also, i doubt he gets significant minutes with the celtics, so why, as was posed by Boris above, would he come here?

EDIT AND UPDATE: well, i did a search on why teams do not like marquese and found the following troubling articles:

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2018/09/02/marquese-chriss-was-a-cancer-to-the-phoenix-suns-fanbase/

https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/Marquese-Chriss-questioned-his-love-for-the-game-14543185.php

https://arizonasports.com/story/1405723/marquese-chriss-suspension-practice-phoenix-suns/

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-forward-marquese-chriss-fined-nba-shoving-luka-doncic

https://warriorswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/13/3-things-to-know-about-marquese-chriss-a-big-with-big-potential-in-golden-state/

the problem may be between the ears and not his athleticism.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 02:32:29 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 02:37:39 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
As I've said in the other thread, no thanks.

I'm not interested in bringing in a third- or fourth-string guy to take on a bit role at most.  That's not the kind of move that would help us.  If we're really acquiring a big, it needs to be a direct upgrade to one of our rotation players.  A signing like Chriss doesn't move the needle this year, and we already have enough projects for the future.  As for Chriss, he needs an opportunity to play, not an opportunity to sit on the end of the bench.  We aren't right for him, either.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 02:40:50 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
They finally converted Damion Lee’s two-way contract after this transaction. Maybe they’ll waive someone else and convert Ky Bowman’s next

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 02:47:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They finally converted Damion Lee’s two-way contract after this transaction. Maybe they’ll waive someone else and convert Ky Bowman’s next
They don't have any other non-guaranteed contracts and are up against the hard cap.

They've have to trade a player to get more room.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 02:50:48 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Wicked hahd pass.
ok fine

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 02:53:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Many sources had Chriss as Danny's guy over Brown back in 2016. I think we are all glad the way it turned out, but I would obviously drop Poirier to pick up Chriss. As others have mentioned, we might not be the best option for him, but the talent is/was there and he would cost absolutely nothing.

On a somewhat related note, it seems Poirier's time may be coming to an end with the Cs...at least for Cs fans. Every trade proposal seems to include him and he is the obvious guy to drop if we make a signing. It should make us appreciate Theis that much more. Most guys you sign for free from Europe end up more like Poirier. Theis' defense and versatility has been invaluable and all we did was sign him when nobody else did. Really underrated move by Danny. Wanamaker fits this mold, too, but I am not yet a believer.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 03:08:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
One always has to wonder what reported "Head Cases" will do if they get the opportunity to go to a winning franchise with winning players.

GSW isn't winning anything this year. Not Chriss' fault (or GSW's) that it's happened the way it has.

The wheels started coming off - at least temporarily - for GSW when Durant went down last season - then Klay.....and THIS SEASON was Curry.

My guess is that if Danny chose to bring him in somehow Marquese Chriss would shine. Winning rubs off on folks.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 03:14:08 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
They don't have any other non-guaranteed contracts and are up against the hard cap.

They've have to trade a player to get more room.

Wow, oops, thanks, then Bowman's close to being Danuel House'd and back in the G League for ROS

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 03:39:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't see it. Warriors dumped him because he was too small and weak defensively to play center and too unskilled to play PF.

Let him develop on someone else's dime. He is going to need a few years to maybe learn how to be an effective NBA player.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 03:42:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't see it. Warriors dumped him because he was too small and weak defensively to play center and too unskilled to play PF.

Let him develop on someone else's dime. He is going to need a few years to maybe learn how to be an effective NBA player.

He's 6'10", jumps through the roof, is taller than 2/3 of our centers (not counting Poirier).  He has handle of a small forward, so disagree with you on his skill set.

He has issues, but I think it is a no brainer to take him on in lieu of Poirier.  He is only 22, center skills take time. 

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 03:43:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
On a somewhat related topic, I am reluctant to part with Poirier. I know he hasn't contributed anything worthwhile thus far but I am still hopeful he will be a useful garbage man for this team ... hoping that his issues so far are about adapting to the NBA and that better days are still to come.

I will be surprised if he can't make in the NBA. His rebounding skills are very good. He has good size with decent athleticism. Good finisher around the basket. He just needs to be somewhat useful on defense. Not even average defensively. Just not a huge liability. In order to be a useful garbage man for some team out there (if not the C's).