Author Topic: Smart Takes Too Many Bad Shots  (Read 12373 times)

Re: Smart Takes Too Many Bad Shots
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 10:25:14 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I think Smart probably thought he had his shot going when he made his first few 3 pointers. Of course he them missed the rest of his shots after that.

The whole team was cold tonight though.
He does this all the time. Whenever he hits a 3, he jacks up another one at the first opportunity. Suffice to say, more often than not it's a brick shot. :P

Anyway, nobody's perfect. At the end of the day, if he were a better scorer/shooter he wouldn't have signed for 13 mil a year.

Personally speaking, I love Smart's game! Him and Brown are my favourite current Celtics.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 10:32:52 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 10:37:23 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think Smart probably thought he had his shot going when he made his first few 3 pointers. Of course he them missed the rest of his shots after that.

The whole team was cold tonight though.
He does this all the time. Whenever he hits a 3, he jacks up another one at the first opportunity. Suffice to say, more often than not it's a brick shot. :P

Anyway, nobody's perfect. At the end of the day, if he were a better scorer/shooter he wouldn't have signed for 13 mil a year.

Personally speaking, I love Smart's game! Him and Brown are my favourite current Celtics.

I've only seen him hit three in a row once.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 10:51:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Gotta take the good with the bad sometimes.

With Smart - it all balances out in the end.

3-14 Shooting performance tonight?

Taking a James Harden / LeBron James / Giannis charge in May or June of this year later - or doing some other wacky / incredible thing that impacts the game in BOS's favor.

Marcus Smart is the 80's version of Celtic Mystique. I fully believe the dude is part Leprechaun.

Leprechauns aren't known for torrid shooting, either.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 11:00:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He took a few bad ones. (the heat check and the layup he rushed stand out)

But given that he took 5 paint shots (drew 2 shooting fouls for FTAs), 1 mid range, and 10 3s I don't think that's an unreasonable amount or distribution of shots from a guard playing 34 minutes.

The idea that a 18% usage guard is chucking is really silly.

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 11:01:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
a lot of bad shots by everyone but no way Smart should ever be shooting 10 shots in a game, nevermind 10 3-pointers
If he can't take 10 shots in a game where he plays starter minutes then they should bench his ass because why in the world are you putting a guard on the court for 30+ minutes if you don't trust him to take 10 shots?

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 11:03:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Hayward needed to get more done offensively, he was too passive in too many situations. He missed all those open 3s and then got passive.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 11:06:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Smart taking bad shots?

In other news, the sun rose this morning ...
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 11:19:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
a lot of bad shots by everyone but no way Smart should ever be shooting 10 shots in a game, nevermind 10 3-pointers
If he can't take 10 shots in a game where he plays starter minutes then they should bench his ass because why in the world are you putting a guard on the court for 30+ minutes if you don't trust him to take 10 shots?
you trust him to play great D (which he did not tonight) and to primarily facilitate the offense (which he didn't do very well tonight either).  He has to shoot to keep other teams honest and guard him but 10 3's is waaay too many when he's having an ice cold night.  I'm ok with him putting up 7 or 8 but he should not be seeing double digits unless Brad decides to run the offense through Smart in the post against a smaller guard. 

if he took most of his shots in the paint where he's actually decent, it'd be a different issue.  tonight was not the case where he bombed away badly from outside.

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 11:27:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
you trust him to play great D (which he did not tonight) and to primarily facilitate the offense (which he didn't do very well tonight either).  He has to shoot to keep other teams honest and guard him but 10 3's is waaay too many when he's having an ice cold night.  I'm ok with him putting up 7 or 8 but he should not be seeing double digits unless Brad decides to run the offense through Smart in the post against a smaller guard. 

if he took most of his shots in the paint where he's actually decent, it'd be a different issue.  tonight was not the case where he bombed away badly from outside.
If Smart isn't shooting directly at the rim the best shot he can take is a 3. He's shooting bad from all over this year sadly.

The focus on his 3s is weird to me when if he makes a whole ONE more he's at 40% and no one would care. Anyways Smart taking a ton of 3s is the symptom of the offense going off kilter, not the cause.

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 11:54:11 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

If Smart isn't shooting directly at the rim the best shot he can take is a 3. He's shooting bad from all over this year sadly.

The focus on his 3s is weird to me when if he makes a whole ONE more he's at 40% and no one would care. Anyways Smart taking a ton of 3s is the symptom of the offense going off kilter, not the cause.

This

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 03:30:50 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Hayward needed to get more done offensively, he was too passive in too many situations. He missed all those open 3s and then got passive.

Hayward is being paid 31 million to be the most passive wing ever.. No joke.

Ask him to be aggressive and he will turn red of allergies.

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 04:09:09 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Smart has struggled since returning from the eye infection. His play not at same level as before. He needs more time. Also this solidifies his spot off bench when Kemba returns.

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 06:49:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This has been par for the course for him, and part of his baggage.   One simply hopes his "winning plays"  and defense weigh in value more than his shot selection each game.

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 08:16:05 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I guess Smart is the designated pinata for this loss  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 08:17:12 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

They were freezing him out. I counted a lot of times where Smart, Wanamaker and even once or twice from Brown where they failed to pass to an open Hayward and ended up with a failed possession.

They should have Hayward run the offense when Kemba is out.