Author Topic: Who's available that we can get at C  (Read 49419 times)

Re: Who's available that we can get at C
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2019, 02:41:16 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
If Danny resigns Hayward and Tatum gets a fat extension. Are we going to be able to afford a high calibre center? Our top 5 will be making $130-140M combined ... this means the center position will be manned by rookies or guys in the $3-5M Per year range... exactly what we have now...
If Danny is hell bent on keeping the duo above don’t expect a great big man next year as well
There aren't going to be any great big men available via trade or free agency.  Re-signing Hayward and extending Tatum will almost certainly be the best option.
What Embid did last night, he can do to just about anyone. The key to winning in the NBA remains a teams ability to make 3's consistently as there just aren't a lot of difference making bigs out there - especially ones who might be available. 

Can't believe more here aren't recognizing that a bench group of G. Williams/Wanamaker/Edwards/Semi etc just isn't talented enough to help you win games and will be a massive liability come playoff time.

I think Ainge will address the issue on or before the trade deadline.

You are correct, the bench is not getting it done.

Regarding the big man problem, it's fine if it's only Embiid getting huge numbers against the Celtics.
But if bigs like Sabonis and Jarrett Allen are playing like All-Stars against the Celts, clearly the Celts have a big man problem.

Right now the Celts can't play opposing bigs 1 on 1.
That's why the Celts are double teaming a lot inside.
Celts were not double teaming bigs when they still had Horford.

The consequence of constantly double teaming is it leaves opposing shooters open.

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2019, 02:49:34 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If Danny resigns Hayward and Tatum gets a fat extension. Are we going to be able to afford a high calibre center? Our top 5 will be making $130-140M combined ... this means the center position will be manned by rookies or guys in the $3-5M Per year range... exactly what we have now...
If Danny is hell bent on keeping the duo above don’t expect a great big man next year as well
There aren't going to be any great big men available via trade or free agency.  Re-signing Hayward and extending Tatum will almost certainly be the best option.
What Embid did last night, he can do to just about anyone. The key to winning in the NBA remains a teams ability to make 3's consistently as there just aren't a lot of difference making bigs out there - especially ones who might be available. 

Can't believe more here aren't recognizing that a bench group of G. Williams/Wanamaker/Edwards/Semi etc just isn't talented enough to help you win games and will be a massive liability come playoff time.

I think Ainge will address the issue on or before the trade deadline.

You are correct, the bench is not getting it done.

Regarding the big man problem, it's fine if it's only Embiid getting huge numbers against the Celtics.
But if bigs like Sabonis and Jarrett Allen are playing like All-Stars against the Celts, clearly the Celts have a big man problem.

Right now the Celts can't play opposing bigs 1 on 1.
That's why the Celts are double teaming a lot inside.
Celts were not double teaming bigs when they still had Horford.

The consequence of constantly double teaming is it leaves opposing shooters open.

Yes! Thank you for this point!

We would be a really good defensive team if we didn’t have to double so much. I like to think that our perimeter defense is elite and we have hard workers willing to put in the effort on D, and do what they can to defend inside.

- LilRip

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2019, 08:09:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The best hope for a difference making center will most likely involve drafting one with the Memphis pick with the 2nd best hope for a difference making center being trading for one in the offseason using, you guessed it, the Memphis pick.

That difference making center won't be coming this season.

Trade deadline is less than 2 months away, nick.

Danny is a gambler and very unpredictable.

I think a lot of Celtic fans will be surprised with what Ainge will do on or before the trade deadline.
I don't think he makes a trade. I think Danny is very much a realist and knows there is no one he can realistically trade for that will turn this team into a true contender this year.

Sure, there are trades that might work in trade machines, but in real life you need two teams willing to trade and teams with difference making centers will be holding onto them.

There is a reason we are the youngest team in the league. It's because Danny knew this team couldn't win it all this year so loaded up on youth with a target of winning it all down the road.

As for why he signed Kemba. He did it because Danny is a huge believer of trying to win while at the same time building a strong culture and a winning atmosphere to develop youth. You can develop a young team without needing to tank and that's what he is doing.

You see, a good center doesn't solve the fact that the bench, other than Smart and Kanter, are too young, too inexperienced and too limited on developed talent to win a title with. Maybe two years from now when Langford, Timelord, Edwards, Waters and Tacko have developed and we have a blue chip prospect in the Memphis pick, this team will contend.

But right now, they aren't contenders. Maybe they would be with several extremely lopsided trades, but that's not happening. IMHO, Danny will be very happy to see this team develop and look for upgrades next off season when he can make a trade without mucking up the chemistry this team has.

Now, I could see Danny trying the buyout route, but I am not sure who that might be.

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2019, 08:31:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Do enlighten us on the deadline trades he has made, besides IT?

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2019, 09:51:29 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
What’s the story on Harry Giles? Doesn’t play in SAC, which means essentially nothing as far as I can tell, but highly touted guy at 6’11” who can pass and is versatile. I know he had injuries early in his career but still an intriguing prospect.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2019, 10:04:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The best hope for a difference making center will most likely involve drafting one with the Memphis pick with the 2nd best hope for a difference making center being trading for one in the offseason using, you guessed it, the Memphis pick.

That difference making center won't be coming this season.

I think a lot of Celtic fans will be surprised with what Ainge will do on or before the trade deadline.
I don't think he makes a trade. I think Danny is very much a realist and knows there is no one he can realistically trade for that will turn this team into a true contender this year.

Sure, there are trades that might work in trade machines, but in real life you need two teams willing to trade and teams with difference making centers will be holding onto them.

There is a reason we are the youngest team in the league. It's because Danny knew this team couldn't win it all this year so loaded up on youth with a target of winning it all down the road.

As for why he signed Kemba. He did it because Danny is a huge believer of trying to win while at the same time building a strong culture and a winning atmosphere to develop youth. You can develop a young team without needing to tank and that's what he is doing.

You see, a good center doesn't solve the fact that the bench, other than Smart and Kanter, are too young, too inexperienced and too limited on developed talent to win a title with. Maybe two years from now when Langford, Timelord, Edwards, Waters and Tacko have developed and we have a blue chip prospect in the Memphis pick, this team will contend.

But right now, they aren't contenders. Maybe they would be with several extremely lopsided trades, but that's not happening. IMHO, Danny will be very happy to see this team develop and look for upgrades next off season when he can make a trade without mucking up the chemistry this team has.

Now, I could see Danny trying the buyout route, but I am not sure who that might be.

Well said, Nick, TP.  Pretty much summarizes how I feel after these last two games.

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2019, 01:25:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
What’s the story on Harry Giles? Doesn’t play in SAC, which means essentially nothing as far as I can tell, but highly touted guy at 6’11” who can pass and is versatile. I know he had injuries early in his career but still an intriguing prospect.

5 pages in, this is maybe the first post to actually answer the question of the OP.

I don't know if I like Giles but calling him "an intriguing prospect" is about right. Does he move the needle for this team this year? Probably not. But that's the problem. Any of the centers out there who might be able to elevate the Celtics this season are either too expensive (in terms of cap hit or trade capital or both) or not on the block.

Unless something breaks lose, this might be the team this year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2019, 01:33:10 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If Toronto goes for TT we might be able to get Marc Gasol off waivers (he'll likely be the salary filler sent to Cleveland). He'd be perfect for us imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2019, 05:33:16 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

5 pages in, this is maybe the first post to actually answer the question of the OP.

I don't know if I like Giles but calling him "an intriguing prospect" is about right. Does he move the needle for this team this year? Probably not. But that's the problem. Any of the centers out there who might be able to elevate the Celtics this season are either too expensive (in terms of cap hit or trade capital or both) or not on the block.

Unless something breaks lose, this might be the team this year.
I would not mind Harry Giles, but I agree he doesn’t move the needle for this year.  He does match the age range of the Jays which I like.  Having him on board this season would give him valuable playoff experience with this team.  That said, Kings did decline his option.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256001/Kings-Decline-20-21-Options-On-Harry-Giles-Caleb-Swanigan

Good analysis from Kings perspective:
https://earlybirdrights.com/2019/11/01/sacramento-kings-harry-giles-rookie-scale-option-bogdan-bogdanovic-luxury-tax/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 05:48:34 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2019, 05:43:38 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
What happened to Joacim Noah? He was pretty decent last season ... we can use him for 10 mins a night 

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2019, 06:09:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What we need is the Suns to trade Aron Baynes to a team that's willing to buy him out, so that we can sign him.  He's the guy most of the posts in here are describing.

Baynes would be a godsend for this team right now.  I'm still miffed that Ainge couldn't find a better way to make the necessary cap room this summer that didn't involve dumping him.

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2019, 06:30:38 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
What we need is the Suns to trade Aron Baynes to a team that's willing to buy him out, so that we can sign him.  He's the guy most of the posts in here are describing.

Baynes would be a godsend for this team right now.  I'm still miffed that Ainge couldn't find a better way to make the necessary cap room this summer that didn't involve dumping him.
He could have sent Yabu instead but then again he would have had to add cash or other picks to to the deal... he should have done it... Danny may have been ticked by his injuries though... also wouldn’t have been able to keep Theis

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2019, 06:45:15 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
According to Brian Windhorst, Bamba was available on the market prior to the trade deadline last season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818669-windhorst-mo-bamba-is-available-in-trades-mavericks-attempted-to-land-rookie

I get that the C's already have a Center prospect in Williams, but Bamba has the potential to become an all-NBA player. Personally speaking, he reminds me of Rudy Gobert. Unlike Gobert, he's even trying to extend his range shooting 37% from 3 this season on 2 attempts per game. If we can get Bamba at a reasonable price, I'd love us to go after him. I mean, can you imagine a player in the mold of Gobert who can stretch the floor? Bamba has the potential to become a Gobert-Porzingis hybrid!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:58:29 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
According to Brian Windhorst, Bamba was available on the market prior to the trade deadline last season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818669-windhorst-mo-bamba-is-available-in-trades-mavericks-attempted-to-land-rookie

I get that the C's already have a Center prospect in Williams, but Bamba has the potential to become an all-NBA player. Personally speaking, he reminds me of Rudy Gobert. Unlike Gobert, he's even trying to extend his range shooting 37% from 3 this season on 2 attempts per game. If we can get Bamba at a reasonable price, I'd love us to go after him. I mean, can you imagine a player in the mold of Gobert who can stretch the floor? Bamba has the potential to become a Gobert-Porzingis hybrid!

I know little about Bamba.  What is a 'reasonable' price?

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2019, 07:35:56 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I know little about Bamba.  What is a 'reasonable' price?
Hard to say. There is no possible way we can all agree on these things.

Personally speaking, I'd probably go as far as Timelord + Edwards + filler (=Poirier/Green) + Memphis pick

But that's just me cause I'm not a fan of Edwards' game. I guess Danny likes Edwards. After all, he's the one who drafted him.

Salary-wise, it works without Edwards as long as we include Poirier.

So let's say Timelord + Poirier + Memphis pick.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=tddv7pw