Author Topic: Who's available that we can get at C  (Read 49138 times)

Re: Who's available that we can get at C
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2019, 07:58:01 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I would look at the teams at the bottom of standings to see if there are any decent players who might be available. 

We just need someone who is great defender who has size, strength and switchability.  Someone like the Heat's center.

Or Noah

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
....as long as we don’t trade our core (walker, Smart, Hayward, Tatum or Brown)

All this team needs is to get healthy. And these 6 days should do the job.  This is a good team capable of competing against top teams in the league.

Every team has a weakness.  Lakers are an AD injury away from being a mediocre team. As for Philly, their chemistry is odd.   

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2019, 08:09:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What we need is the Suns to trade Aron Baynes to a team that's willing to buy him out, so that we can sign him.  He's the guy most of the posts in here are describing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2019, 08:10:25 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Cant wait for all the"we got one in Robert Williams"...

Maybe someday he'll legitimately be starting caliber but I'm not holding my breath.

What I do know is if people actually think this team can win a title or even get to the finals with the collection of bigs we currently have I'd like to sell them some property on the moon.  I've got the deeds right here in my briefcase.
Finally someone agree with me! Theis a good backup PF, Enes good, not great center, Williams is a 3rd stringer..good job by Ainge using those 4 picks by getting no center 😞😞😞
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2019, 08:26:26 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
What we need is the Suns to trade Aron Baynes to a team that's willing to buy him out, so that we can sign him.  He's the guy most of the posts in here are describing.

That's the ideal situation.

But why would NBA teams help the Celts win another championship?

I think other NBA teams are not in the business of helping the Boston Celtics win championships.

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2019, 08:29:02 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
....as long as we don’t trade our core (walker, Smart, Hayward, Tatum or Brown)

All this team needs is to get healthy. And these 6 days should do the job.  This is a good team capable of competing against top teams in the league.

Every team has a weakness.  Lakers are an AD injury away from being a mediocre team. As for Philly, their chemistry is odd.

What if this season that doesn't happen and AD stays healthy?

If Celts reach the finals and they're facing a healthy AD then it's like the Celts just handed the Lakers banner 17.

There's just no way any of the Celtic bigs can defend AD.

Hoping that an injury will happen to a rival is bad karma IMO.

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2019, 08:48:59 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If Danny resigns Hayward and Tatum gets a fat extension. Are we going to be able to afford a high calibre center? Our top 5 will be making $130-140M combined ... this means the center position will be manned by rookies or guys in the $3-5M Per year range... exactly what we have now...
If Danny is hell bent on keeping the duo above don’t expect a great big man next year as well

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If Danny resigns Hayward and Tatum gets a fat extension. Are we going to be able to afford a high calibre center? Our top 5 will be making $130-140M combined ... this means the center position will be manned by rookies or guys in the $3-5M Per year range... exactly what we have now...
If Danny is hell bent on keeping the duo above don’t expect a great big man next year as well
There aren't going to be any great big men available via trade or free agency.  Re-signing Hayward and extending Tatum will almost certainly be the best option. 

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2019, 10:46:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The best hope for a difference making center will most likely involve drafting one with the Memphis pick with the 2nd best hope for a difference making center being trading for one in the offseason using, you guessed it, the Memphis pick.

That difference making center won't be coming this season.

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
We need a big and we aren’t getting past MIL or PHI in a 7 game series. Maybe we lose 4-2 (aka not a sweep) but I can’t imagine winning 4 out of 7.

Small ball is an illusion. Even GSW in its prime never went truly small. KD isn’t a small. And Draymond was the linchpin of their D and he’s a big who can defend smalls. Length and skill wins. Doesn’t hurt to have the best shooting backcourt in history too
- LilRip

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2019, 11:00:21 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
The best hope for a difference making center will most likely involve drafting one with the Memphis pick with the 2nd best hope for a difference making center being trading for one in the offseason using, you guessed it, the Memphis pick.

That’s what it seems like about the Memphis pick and getting a good center with all those cap constraints.
Can we wait for the Memphis pick draftee big men to become a difference maker ? That would be towards his year four. At that point Jaylen might be on the move with his free agency looming and Tatum following

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2019, 11:42:33 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Trade deadline is less than 2 months away, nick.

Danny is a gambler and very unpredictable.

I think a lot of Celtic fans will be surprised with what Ainge will do on or before the trade deadline.

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2019, 11:46:06 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
We need a big and we aren’t getting past MIL or PHI in a 7 game series. Maybe we lose 4-2 (aka not a sweep) but I can’t imagine winning 4 out of 7.

Small ball is an illusion. Even GSW in its prime never went truly small. KD isn’t a small. And Draymond was the linchpin of their D and he’s a big who can defend smalls. Length and skill wins. Doesn’t hurt to have the best shooting backcourt in history too

Totally agree.

The small ball of the Celtics is totally different from GSW's small ball.

Right now the tallest player on the starting 5 of the Celts is Theis, who's only 6-8.

In my more than 30 years of watching the Celtics and NBA basketball, I've never seen a championship team having a starting 5 like this of the current Celts.

I know you can win a championship without a dominating big man, but right now the Celts are not just small, they're really small.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:54:48 PM by Fierce1 »

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2019, 11:57:19 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
The guy to watch out for is Andre Drummond.

If Detroit makes him available, Ainge will be interested.

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2019, 01:54:14 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
There aren't going to be any great big men available via trade or free agency.  Re-signing Hayward and extending Tatum will almost certainly be the best option.
What Embid did last night, he can do to just about anyone. The key to winning in the NBA remains a teams ability to make 3's consistently as there just aren't a lot of difference making bigs out there - especially ones who might be available. 

Can't believe more here aren't recognizing that a bench group of G. Williams/Wanamaker/Edwards/Semi etc just isn't talented enough to help you win games and will be a massive liability come playoff time.