Author Topic: Winning the Durant Sweepstakes This Time...  (Read 3645 times)

Re: Winning the Durant Sweepstakes This Time...
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
geez, this thread has degenerated into even sillier trade scenarios than most of our silly trade threads.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Nobody is taking Haywards contract right now, you’re living in a fantasy world if you think otherwise

There are a number of teams that would deal for gordon right now, that wouldnt cost picks to move him.

Moving him for free capspace would be difficult, but also moronic imo.

Detroit and charlotte are 2 teams off the top of my head that would trade for him.

Indy, miami, portland, sas could all be in that grouping as well.

Let me rephrase then.  We’re not gonna be able to trade Hayward without receiving a negative return or swapping him with another bad contract, in which case I’d rather just hold onto Hayward

I still disagree.

Hayward still has alot of value around the league, injury and bad season aside, most people understand that he is a bad fit on this team as currently constructed as most of the wings had a less than stellar season.

Brown
Tatum
Hayward
Rozier

all performed worse this past season than seasons prior. Now if Hayward had another season performing poorly on a team with fewer wings needing the ball, then you would be on to something.

Believing he’ll return to form, and putting your job on the line for that belief are two different things.  You’re talking about a GM that would be taking ALL the risk in a deal since you’re saying we could land a positive return.

No GM is gonna put their neck on the line and give us a positive return for Gordon given the amount of money owed and what they’d be losing in the process.  I don’t care if they believe he’ll probably return to form.  There’s other less risky options around the league.

A positive return on this team could well be a negative asset on another.

It is possible for both teams to win a deal.

I’m aware both teams can win a deal.  Are you aware how hard it would be to find a deal we could win in this scenario?

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, so you can have yours.

The best bet is to just hang onto to Gordon, and I’m ok with that.
Greg

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 10:54:16 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Tom Brady has two more rings now so maybe that will be enough to get it done this time.

But wait, KD has two, possibly three, more rings as well this time. CRAP!

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 11:52:19 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The only way you get Durant (and it’s not particularly realistic):

1.  Durant opts into his contract, in a prearranged agreement to be traded to Boston.

2. Horford opts into his contract, in a prearranged agreement to be traded to Golden State.

3. Boston trades Horford and Brown and/or picks to GS for Durant.

4. Kyrie re-signs.

5. Celts trade Tatum + Smart + remaining assets for AD.

Davis
Morris
Durant
Hayward
Kyrie

You can use Hayward instead of Horford, although I know you are implying that wouldn't be enough. I tend to think it would given he is leaving this summer anyway.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 11:53:57 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Nobody is taking Haywards contract right now, you’re living in a fantasy world if you think otherwise

There are a number of teams that would deal for gordon right now, that wouldnt cost picks to move him.

Moving him for free capspace would be difficult, but also moronic imo.

Detroit and charlotte are 2 teams off the top of my head that would trade for him.

Indy, miami, portland, sas could all be in that grouping as well.
But who are you trading for that gives more upside than Hayward? We don't need extra depth, we already struggle to appease those on the team. We need a move that consolidates assets on the team into a better player. Moving Hayward only works if it's part of a package for Durant, otherwise you're better moving other assets and continuing with Hayward's recovery

I move Hayward for 1 of 2 things

A proper center that allows at the worst, for Horford to move to the PF spot(ideally off the bench for 30 minutes a game)

or

Smaller, closer to expiring deals that can be used as ballast in a deal for Davis
I see Baynes as a proper center if we want to move Horford to PF.

I'm intrigued by the 2nd proposal. Because that could be a route to keeping Smart on the team in an AD trade. Do you have any examples of that kind of deal? Dallas with Hardaway Jr?

Edit: Although I only see that possible as part of a 3 team deal for Davis. I don't trade Hayward unless I know I'm getting Davis in that scenario.