Poll

Would you trade Pierce for Gay?

Yes
40 (53.3%)
No
35 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: February 04, 2013, 08:00:27 PM

Author Topic: Poll: Would you trade Pierce for Gay?  (Read 10912 times)

Re: Poll: Would you trade Pierce for Gay?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I honestly cannot believe the majority are
saying yes. We're talking about the Captain of
this team, retiring a Celtic. We're talking
about a team that you should no by now is not
to be completely judged until later in the season.
I am shocked.. Pierce is an icon.
Obviously I said no.

That's because the majority of us is thinking about what's best for the team while some of you are thinking about what's best for on individual player. I always put the team first and i always wanna do what's best for the team. This move would be best for the team.

What message would that send Rondo? The one telling him to move to a better franchise like San Antonio which respects its vets.

Rondo would be happy to have Gay traded to the Cs. As for a message, one I'd love the Cs to get across to him somehow (though I don't think trading Pierce would really provide):

Play hard all the time, not just when you feel like it, or we'll trade you to Milwaukee or Indiana or somewhere else you don't wanna go.

Pierce stuck through ALL our bad years, that's like trading Kobe, or Duncan, or Wade. You don't do that.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 02:26:10 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Obviously I said no.

That's because the majority of us is thinking about what's best for the team while some of you are thinking about what's best for on individual player. I always put the team first and i always wanna do what's best for the team. This move would be best for the team.

What message would that send Rondo? The one telling him to move to a better franchise like San Antonio which respects its vets.

Rondo would be happy to have Gay traded to the Cs. As for a message, one I'd love the Cs to get across to him somehow (though I don't think trading Pierce would really provide):

Play hard all the time, not just when you feel like it, or we'll trade you to Milwaukee or Indiana or somewhere else you don't wanna go.

Pierce stuck through ALL our bad years, that's like trading Kobe, or Duncan, or Wade. You don't do that.

The decision to trade Pierce could quite literally be the move that determines whether we have another 5-year dark age. 

I'm not willing to potentially sacrifice our future for one player.  I love Pierce and will always be a fan, but I care about this team first and foremost.

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Obviously I said no.

The decision to trade Pierce could quite literally be the move that determines whether we have another 5-year dark age. 

I'm not willing to potentially sacrifice our future for one player.  I love Pierce and will always be a fan, but I care about this team first and foremost.

Rudy Gay will not save it. We have a better player already in Jeff Green. Hope Pierce retires or signs for cheap so we can move into the next era.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow for those against trading Pierce for a better, younger player, I will NEVER understand you.

I am as big of a Cetlics fan here as anyone and could give a flying you know what whether Pierce retires as a Celtics or not.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:14:12 PM by gpap »

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The question is would Memphis trade Gay for Pierce. I seriously doubt it. How does that benefit them?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:15:58 PM by gpap »

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Letting Pierce retire and leave for nothing is great for sentimental reasons. However it doesn't help us in the future. After thinking about it I believe cap space might be overrated to the extent we would be better off acquiring Gay as another asset for trade down the line.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Wow for those against trading Pierce for a better, younger player, I will NEVER undertand you.

I am as big of a Cetlics fan here as anyone and could give a flying you know what whether Pierce retires as a Celtics or not.

THIS ^ i care somewhat but at what cost? The cost of what's best for the team? No way bud.

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Obviously I said no.

Rudy Gay will not save it. We have a better player already in Jeff Green. Hope Pierce retires or signs for cheap so we can move into the next era.

Haha, Green is not a better player than Gay.  Not even close.

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 08:47:02 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I was going to make a new thread but I may as well bump this one. There are some lingering rumors about Memphis interest in Pierce. After the Rondo news we can all sort of take a sober look at this. Here is my perspective.

Pierce for Gay helps Memphis more than it helps us I think. Gay isn't a wow player, his stats are underwhelming for his usage and his salary is way over what he's worth. Pierce is a more efficient player and he's huge cap relief next season. I'd trade Pierce for Gay if we can shed a smaller contract like Bass along with him. Something like:

Pierce/Bass
for
Gay/Wroten/Leuer

That trade probably overvalues Pierce's cap space to the Griz but a small market team being over the cap for consecutive seasons can be really expensive. I don't think we should be in a rush to trade Pierce unless the right deal comes around. If Memphis wants to get under the cap we should make them pay with a prospect like Wroten and taking on Bass's deal.

Another option is the pitch the Dream Team idea to Sam Presti. Take Pierce on a 1-year, Garnett agrees to the trade and we get back Martin/Perk/Lamb/PJIII and Toronto's pick.. That is a lot to ask but it puts Oklahoma City in great shape salary wise and makes them the odds on favorite to win this season...and probably next if Garnett doesn't retire. The deal is essentially that they upgrade from Perkins to Garnett and give up 2 pretty promising prospects and a pick from a garbage draft (4-14 in 2013).

The upside for us is a ton of rebuilding blocks, cap space and Perk being back in Green. I know he's overpaid but I just love Perk.

Obviously I'm asking a ton in these trades but the premise is that we're not dying to trade people and we should only make a move if the right deal comes along.

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
I was going to make a new thread but I may as well bump this one. There are some lingering rumors about Memphis interest in Pierce. After the Rondo news we can all sort of take a sober look at this. Here is my perspective.

Pierce for Gay helps Memphis more than it helps us I think. Gay isn't a wow player, his stats are underwhelming for his usage and his salary is way over what he's worth. Pierce is a more efficient player and he's huge cap relief next season. I'd trade Pierce for Gay if we can shed a smaller contract like Bass along with him. Something like:

Pierce/Bass
for
Gay/Wroten/Leuer

That trade probably overvalues Pierce's cap space to the Griz but a small market team being over the cap for consecutive seasons can be really expensive. I don't think we should be in a rush to trade Pierce unless the right deal comes around. If Memphis wants to get under the cap we should make them pay with a prospect like Wroten and taking on Bass's deal.

Another option is the pitch the Dream Team idea to Sam Presti. Take Pierce on a 1-year, Garnett agrees to the trade and we get back Martin/Perk/Lamb/PJIII and Toronto's pick.. That is a lot to ask but it puts Oklahoma City in great shape salary wise and makes them the odds on favorite to win this season...and probably next if Garnett doesn't retire. The deal is essentially that they upgrade from Perkins to Garnett and give up 2 pretty promising prospects and a pick from a garbage draft (4-14 in 2013).

The upside for us is a ton of rebuilding blocks, cap space and Perk being back in Green. I know he's overpaid but I just love Perk.

Obviously I'm asking a ton in these trades but the premise is that we're not dying to trade people and we should only make a move if the right deal comes along.

Great post!  I was about to post a similar idea where pierce goes to Memphis fir gay and wroten, but I like your idea of throwing bass in to shed salary for the c's. I think that's too much to ask from Memphis,  but not a bad idea.  I see wroten as a talented player the c's could bring along slowly. I don't envision him as an immediate Rondo replacement

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Thanks :) I had another idea about moving Terry to the Griz instead of Bass because I've heard a number of times they are in desperate need of 3pt shooters.

Pierce/Terry/Barbosa
for
Gay/Allen/Wroten

Don't know if the Grizzlies go for it but it's worth a try.

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I would do Pierce for Gay but I'd rather do;

Boston sends Pierce for Zac Randolph

Memphis sends Gay to LA for Pau Gasol.

Memphis has the Gasol brothers in the paint, with Pierce
at SF= serious cnotender.

We can start Green at the 3, with KG and Zeebo inside.
Rondo comes back and we have a starting 5 of

KG
Zeebo
Green
Bradley
Rondo

done and done.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Rudy Gay is not worth the money he's making.  He's averaging 17 ppg and just less than 6 boards, 6 boards!  He's not going to help you much.  He's only shooting 41% from the field also.  He makes over 16 million per year now and the # goes up to over 19 million in 2 years!  No way do you make that trade unless you want to be average.   

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 10:28:59 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Rudy Gay is not worth the money he's making.  He's averaging 17 ppg and just less than 6 boards, 6 boards!  He's not going to help you much.  He's only shooting 41% from the field also.  He makes over 16 million per year now and the # goes up to over 19 million in 2 years!  No way do you make that trade unless you want to be average.   

If you want to go purely by stats you could say KG is not worth the money he's making his entire stay in Boston.  Gay has talent, but there's a lot of talent in MEM so the stats get distributed.

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why do you think 6 rebounds is bad for a SF?

Anyways I doubt this deal happens.