Author Topic: Do you think wrestlers could make NBA teams?  (Read 35745 times)

Re: Do you think wrestlers could make NBA teams?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 11:12:05 PM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
Wrestling, WHAT MEN DO DURING BOYS BASKETBALL SEASON!!!!!

This was our saying when I wrestled.

Or what uncoordinated kids say when they want to be on a sports team that doesnt cut anybody?

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 11:18:19 PM »

Offline vitaminC

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • An Essential Nutrient
There are some wrestlers who could play....but overall i say no because athleticism is key in basketball. Speed, leaping ability, and explosiveness are key to being successful at the nba level. 

Some people will say someone like Steve Nash doesnt have blazing speed and explosiveness....but he DOES compared to most people...just not overwhelming in the nba (although he def makes up for it with craftiness and smarts).

Most prof wrestlers are jacked not necesarily athletic....more would make it in the nfl than in the NBA

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 11:29:52 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
if this 2 guys can

everyone can

just believe
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 11:34:23 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If athleticism equaled NBA success, Jerome Moiso, Kedrick Brown, and Gerald Green's numbers would be in the rafters above the Garden. 

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 11:45:41 PM »

Offline vitaminC

• Oshae Brissett
  • An Essential Nutrient
If athleticism equaled NBA success, Jerome Moiso, Kedrick Brown, and Gerald Green's numbers would be in the rafters above the Garden. 

yeah youre right about that, but obviously it's not athleticism alone. Along with their natural/trained basketball skill one must have some sort of athletisim/explosiveness to compete. I dont know which wrestlers have natural/trained skills....but i know a lot of them don't have the athleticism to make it.

Even SCAL has more athletcism then average people...he just seems slow and clumsy compared to top athletes.

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 11:47:52 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

yeah youre right about that, but obviously it's not athleticism alone. Along with their natural/trained basketball skill one must have some sort of athletisim/explosiveness to compete. I dont know which wrestlers have natural/trained skills....but i know a lot of them don't have the athleticism to make it.

Even SCAL has more athletcism then average people...he just seems slow and clumsy compared to top athletes.

yup Brian.
we know that.. ;)

now seiously... Brian could be a great wrestler just like .....Goldust?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 12:06:01 AM »

Offline vitaminC

• Oshae Brissett
  • An Essential Nutrient
scal would be absolutely hilarious in the ring.....hahahaha

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 12:36:23 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
not basketball because the wrestlers aren't mobile enough, but football definetly.  I've always though about that, imagine Hulk Hogan in his prime playing linebacker or fullback, or handing the ball off to Batista in short yardage situations.  I think alot of the really big athletic wrestlers could have a chance at the NFL.  Some of those guys are just huge.

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 12:37:42 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
not basketball because the wrestlers aren't mobile enough, but football definetly.  I've always though about that, imagine Hulk Hogan in his prime playing linebacker or fullback, or handing the ball off to Batista in short yardage situations.  I think alot of the really big athletic wrestlers could have a chance at the NFL.  Some of those guys are just huge.

To slow. 

And that "body building contest body" doesn't really work in the NFL. 

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 02:44:32 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Offensive & Defensive lineman don't have to be fast, and neither do fullbacks

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm not talking about the regular big guys like the Undertaker or Kevin Nash, but more about the really big guys like the Big Show and The Great Khali.  I figure how could these guys not be able to be at least decent NBA players.  They have the size, strength, athleticism, and agility, and let's face it when you're that size you don't need that much skill.

If that was the case, Gheorge Muresan would have been a 10-time all-star...he didn't last because athletically he couldn't keep up.  Teams would run circles around Big Show and Khali, and in their athletic prime they still would not have NBA-caliber stamina, and their bodies would never hold up.  Basketball and wrestling are two totally different animals...I say no way.

A more relevant example is Kenny George who played for UNC-Asheville...due to his size he was unguardable, but someone that size doesn't have the stamina to keep up (unless they are complete freak of nature), he didn't even start and they couldn't give him more than 20 minutes a game.

If they had grown up with a lifetime of basketball experience, then maybe (they would also weigh a lot less).  But while the saying goes, "you can't teach 7 feet," those 7-footers still need to be competent players.  I don't see it happening.

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2009, 09:25:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

To slow. 

Gotta agree with wd.

Brock Lesnar, at the height of his athletic ability, left wrestling and couldn't make the Minnesota Vikings as a back-up offensive lineman.

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I'm not talking about the regular big guys like the Undertaker or Kevin Nash, but more about the really big guys like the Big Show and The Great Khali.  I figure how could these guys not be able to be at least decent NBA players.  They have the size, strength, athleticism, and agility, and let's face it when you're that size you don't need that much skill.

If that was the case, Gheorge Muresan would have been a 10-time all-star...he didn't last because athletically he couldn't keep up.  Teams would run circles around Big Show and Khali, and in their athletic prime they still would not have NBA-caliber stamina, and their bodies would never hold up.  Basketball and wrestling are two totally different animals...I say no way.

A more relevant example is Kenny George who played for UNC-Asheville...due to his size he was unguardable, but someone that size doesn't have the stamina to keep up (unless they are complete freak of nature), he didn't even start and they couldn't give him more than 20 minutes a game.

If they had grown up with a lifetime of basketball experience, then maybe (they would also weigh a lot less).  But while the saying goes, "you can't teach 7 feet," those 7-footers still need to be competent players.  I don't see it happening.

If that was the case why would Muresan be a 10 time All Star?  He had the size, and not all that much skill and turned out to be a very serviceable NBA player for a few years.  I agree with what you're saying about Kenny George though.  At least you went back and read my original post, as I think a lot of people are looking at this thread and thinking about the average wrestler, I don't think Triple H or Chris Jericho or Batista has a chance as a basketball player, but I was more wondering about the super giants like the Big Show and Khali.  When you're that tall, you know they've played some basketball, and there is definitely a good amount of big guys who have played in the NBA who didn't start playing real till later in their lives.  The taller you are, the less skill you need.  A lot of NBA players can't give more than 10 minutes, so it's not like I'm thinking Big Show would be starting averaging 35mpg, but if you worked him out and got him in NBA shape, you don't think he could give you a solid 5-10 mpg as a third string center?  We just saw him and Shaq together on RAW, how would he do battling Shaq in the post?  That's the kind of things I wonder...

Obvioulsy I know the answer is no (because in the middle of the first page of this thread there was actually a spot where I did a little research).  But I guess I'm surprised more of you don't see a guy like the Big Show and wonder how he'd fare in the NBA.

Maybe we should flip the thread now, how would some big NBA stiffs fare as wrestlers?  Greg Ostertag is probably bigger than the Big Show, does he have what it takes to be a monster heel?  Thomas Hamilton?  Oliver Miller?  Am I really the only person who wonders these things?  :-[

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

To slow. 

Gotta agree with wd.

Brock Lesnar, at the height of his athletic ability, left wrestling and couldn't make the Minnesota Vikings as a back-up offensive lineman.

Well, he was given the chance to play in NFL Europe and come back, which was still impressive for a guy who hadn't played since high school.  If he had played football in college, I think it would have been a different story.  But Lesnar is a rare, rare instance.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2009, 10:17:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

To slow. 

Gotta agree with wd.

Well, he was given the chance to play in NFL Europe and come back, which was still impressive for a guy who hadn't played since high school.  If he had played football in college, I think it would have been a different story.  But Lesnar is a rare, rare instance.
Which only goes to show just how hard it is to be a football player, regardless of how big and tough you are. The skill sets, even for a lineman, are off the wall.