Author Topic: Non Cs idea if the Grizz look to blow it up should the 76ers end the process  (Read 3159 times)

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This may be a little you to follow as it involves two "what if" scenarios for two non Celtics teams. 

Assumptions

1. Grizz decide to blow things up

2. 76ers end "the process"

The grizz blow up is simple does the franchise want to move Conely and Gasol to go into a tank in order to rebuild around this draft.

The 76ers portion is a bit more complicated. "The Process" was an all out tank in order to create an elite talent grab. This saw the 76ers blow picks on Noel and Okafor but ultimately they drafted a core of Embiid, Simmons, Saric and Fultz. Embid and Simmons are proving to be at least all start level talents and possibly franchise corner stones while Saric is a really solid all-star caliber player. Fultz is a question mark with a franchise level ceiling. The cloud hanging over this team is always going to be Embiid's health. I just cant see him Embiid playing a long career and sadly expect him to have a similar career arch to Yao Ming. With that I wonder if the 76ers are best served going all in now with the hopes of having a 4-5 year window of championship level play with Embiid.

This brings me to my trade idea

76ers get

Conely from Grizz
B Wright from Grizz
lottery protected 1st rd pick from Bucks

Grizz get

Henson from Bucks
Parker from Bucks
Fultz from 76ers
A Johnson from 76ers
Bayless from 76ers

Bucks

Gasol from Grizz

A lot going on with this trade but the bottom line for each franchise

76ers, Conely will have to check out as healthy but adding him to Reddick, Covington , Simmons and Embiid creates a really tough starting 5 (when all healthy).

Grizz, adding Fultz and Parker to their likely top 5 pick could potentially create an elite core for the future.

Bucks, Adding Gasol to Gianis, Bledsoe Middleton and Snell makes them a legit contender. That starting 5 is a solid match-up for the Warriors and Cavs. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Not a bad idea overall. I'll give my two cents about two parts to the trade to simplify.

Getting Gasol seems like something the Bucks would do. He would be an ideal fit next to Giannis in the front court. I'm not sure if Parker is enough back Gasol. Its similar value, but Memphis would have a tough time risking that Parker will be healthy again. Otherwise, they languish in mediocrity.  Henson doesn't move the needle -- he's just salary filler. Adding Maker or Wilson probably gets it done, but that's a lot to give up for a behemoth 33 year old 7 footer with foot problems.

I think the Sixers would need to include another piece (future first, Saric, or Luwawu) to get Conley, but I don't love the fit of Conley with Simmons. That being said, it would be a significant upgrade that would scare the Eastern Conference (except the Cs ;)  )

Overall not a bad idea.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nice way to blow it up for the Grizz.  Fultz and Parker is a great young return.  If even one of those two reaches his potential it's worth it for them.

I doubt the Sixers are ready to move on from Fultz though.  They have been incredibly patient- they waited a couple years for Embiid to play, waited a year for Simmons to play, and they waited for Saric to play (disagree that Saric is an allstar talent... he's solid but he's averaging 12 and 7 and shoots a poor percentage.)  It's worth it for them to see what they have in Fultz before looking to trade him.  Not sure if they would want Conley either at his salary and age.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
must be just me then because I think it sucks for the Grizzlies while it works out well for the Sixers and pretty decent for the Bucks.

Grizzlies give up to proven all-stars and a first (and a role player) to get 3 role players and 2 prospects that haven't seen much court time to show they can at least be quality starters never mind all-star quality for what Memphis is giving up.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm not sure any of the teams would do it but it does offer intriguing possibilities to each. That's rare for a proposed trade on this forum so a big TOMMY POINT to you.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Nice way to blow it up for the Grizz.  Fultz and Parker is a great young return.  If even one of those two reaches his potential it's worth it for them.

I doubt the Sixers are ready to move on from Fultz though.  They have been incredibly patient- they waited a couple years for Embiid to play, waited a year for Simmons to play, and they waited for Saric to play (disagree that Saric is an allstar talent... he's solid but he's averaging 12 and 7 and shoots a poor percentage.)  It's worth it for them to see what they have in Fultz before looking to trade him.  Not sure if they would want Conley either at his salary and age.

I agree this trade would go against the grain for the 76ers who have been super patient with prospects. My thought is that with Embiid's dominance and injury risk they may be better off pushing hard into the win now mode rather then developing Fultz. Another example would be Bill Walton who do to injury peaked at 25 but the Blazers where able to win a championship before he fell apart.

Also as for Saric he is still young and I believe in the right situation he has enough talent to be a low end all-star.

must be just me then because I think it sucks for the Grizzlies while it works out well for the Sixers and pretty decent for the Bucks.

Grizzlies give up to proven all-stars and a first (and a role player) to get 3 role players and 2 prospects that haven't seen much court time to show they can at least be quality starters never mind all-star quality for what Memphis is giving up.

The Grizz only do this deal if they are ready to roll the dice on the future. By trading away Conely and Gasol they (short of a lottery disaster) lock up a top 5 pick in this draft. While Bamba is a project and Porter Jr is an injury risk I feel Doncic, Ayton and Bagely are all can't miss NBA all-stars if not franchise corner stones. A lot would ride on Parker's health but Fultz and Parker combined with one of those three players is an excellent start of a rebuild.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
TP, quite good idea given the usual proposals seen here.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I agree this trade would go against the grain for the 76ers who have been super patient with prospects. My thought is that with Embiid's dominance and injury risk they may be better off pushing hard into the win now mode rather then developing Fultz. Another example would be Bill Walton who do to injury peaked at 25 but the Blazers where able to win a championship before he fell apart.

Also as for Saric he is still young and I believe in the right situation he has enough talent to be a low end all-star.

The Grizz only do this deal if they are ready to roll the dice on the future. By trading away Conely and Gasol they (short of a lottery disaster) lock up a top 5 pick in this draft. While Bamba is a project and Porter Jr is an injury risk I feel Doncic, Ayton and Bagely are all can't miss NBA all-stars if not franchise corner stones. A lot would ride on Parker's health but Fultz and Parker combined with one of those three players is an excellent start of a rebuild.   

I don't really get people that see this with Saric. He isn't that young (turns 24 this season). He is averaging 11 and 7 in nearly 30 minutes a game with pretty mediocre shooting numbers (41% from field). He also really lacks elite athleticism. He is a great role player (which is what the 76ers and their fans view him as). It is kind of like saying you could see Brogdon being an all-star or someone like that...

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Sixers already ended the process.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
It's hard to see the 76ers so quick to give up on Fultz after what they gave up for him.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

True they ended the tank and the accumulating of talent with no regard to team fit however as they still have to wait for their young players (namely Fultz) to develop before becoming a legit playoff contender.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
They are still following the process.  Just moved on to a different stage.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
They are still following the process.  Just moved on to a different stage.
well sure, but not as identified in this thread.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip