Author Topic: Report: Gallinari signing with Celtics upon clearing waivers  (Read 17764 times)

Re: Report: Gallinari signing with Celtics upon clearing waivers
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2022, 01:26:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Veteran presence, can shoot the 3-ball and providing some type of scoring off the bench. Awesome pick up for an 8th man off the bench.

Now, keep improving the depth PBS!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2022, 01:27:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Alright, we got Gallo now time to bring back my boy JRich with the TPE. He’s exactly what we need off the bench. Love the look of this lineup:

PG: Smart, White, PP
SG: Brown, JRich, Nesmith
SF: Tatum, GWill, Hauser
PF: Horford, Gallo
C: Timelord, Theis

That solves a lot of our issues that plagued us last year. Combine these improvements with internal improvements  and good health for the team, and I like our chances to get back to the Finals.

« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2022, 01:27:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
was initially happy with the Gallo news but now I can't help thinking I had the same reaction when we signed Thompson and Teague and we all know how that turned out.  hoping Gallo isn't that FA season revisited

« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2022, 01:28:52 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Gallo averages 15.6 PPG for his career … Forum members want to call him a 12th man. 🤷‍♂️

« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’m guessing Brad (and Ime) thinks his stint with Atlanta was just a bad fit and he isn’t cooked. Because if you look at his stats everywhere else, he was a pretty good player. Besides shooting 40% from deep over the last 5 seasons, he’s always been good at getting to the line, which is something we need. Excellent at the line, too. Decent enough rebounder and passer. And we have enough good/great defenders to hide him.

Not sure what everyone thought we could get for $6M when second-rounders are getting $23M these days. Now let’s try to use the TPE’s before that $17M one expires.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2022, 02:11:07 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I feel like this is going to be a Jason Terry / Michael Finley type signing. Hope and excited quickly squashed out by the realization that you are signing an old man whose wheels have fallen off.
He's not that old - 34 in August.
With a lot of injuries and lost quickness at 6-10.

He never was quick so not sure what he lost. He’s very stiff and not switchable on defense. Can see him more as small ball stretch 5 but more to give Al and Rob rest during regular season. Just don’t see his fit for us defensively. Ime must be rolling his eyes right now. But the guy can score. Great shooter, especially against Celtics!!
The guy that is good defensively and adds punch offensively doesn't exist for what we have to offer

This sorta reminds me of Bryan Colangelo in Toronto.

TOR's biggest need was 3pt shooting so they went out and signed Jason Kapono (one of the league's best 3pt shooters) only Kapono was a terrible defender & rebounder who contributed nothing outside of shooting 3s so he made the team worse despite improving the team's weakness.

Next summer TOR's biggest need was rebounding (in part due to Kapono's inability to rebound) so Colangelo went out and signed Reggie Evans. One of the league's finest rebounders. Only Reggie Evans was a terrible defensive player and god-awful offensive player who made the team worse despite fixing that rebounding problem.

Guys who fix one problem while creating new bigger problems for the team.

Focus on a singular issue (3pt shooting or rebounding, in our case bench scoring & shooting) while paying too little attention to the overall quality of the player and whether he makes the team better or not.

Marginal additions who cause new problems but we focus only on what good things they offer while ignoring the bad.
Except Jason Kapono literally did nothing other than shoot three-pointers (on very low volume, mind you) and averaged 6.7 PPG for his career while Gallinari is a terrific all-around scorer who not only shoots threes but can put the ball on the floor and get to the free-throw line. The two players are literally nothing alike.

Sometimes I wonder if Celtics fans even watch basketball outside of Boston.

« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2022, 02:14:33 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Gallinari’s a good signing.

He checks the boxes on the C’s needs. Increases Udoka’s 7 trusted player rotation, the on-court veteran presence, and bench quality.

His versatility on offense is excellent; he’s a solid scorer on all 3 levels, can be a playmaker, plays at his own pace, and punishes smaller mismatches with a post game. On defense, he’s good enough to be a solid team defender.

While most want to build the best collection of assets or the best team on paper or the preseason favorites, Stevens knows what he has and continues to make the moves to build the BEST TEAM.

« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2022, 02:15:02 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
An underrated part of this Gallo signing is he can absolutely punish switches in the post. That's an element that the Celtics have been sorely lacking for years, aside from the occasional Smart post-up.

« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2022, 02:41:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Scratch Huerter from the list. Traded to kings

Kings acquire Kevin Huerter from Hawks for Justin Holiday, Mo Harkless, and future first round pick, per Woj.

So the Hawks have two Holidays now.

« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2022, 02:47:22 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Wow, our bench is looking so much better. What a day! We have scorers!

« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2022, 03:58:42 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
was initially happy with the Gallo news but now I can't help thinking I had the same reaction when we signed Thompson and Teague and we all know how that turned out.  hoping Gallo isn't that FA season revisited

I was never happy with the Thompson news.  And he underperformed compared to expectations.  He was supposed to bring tough defense and rebounding but really did neither in his Celtics stint.

The Celtics have made two big moves now with Brogdan and Gallinari.  I wonder if there is another move coming?

« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2022, 04:06:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Gallo averages 15.6 PPG for his career … Forum members want to call him a 12th man. 🤷‍♂️

Beyond silly isn't it

« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2022, 04:13:30 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Scratch Huerter from the list. Traded to kings

Kings acquire Kevin Huerter from Hawks for Justin Holiday, Mo Harkless, and future first round pick, per Woj.

So the Hawks have two Holidays now.
and they are piling up small forwards.  Is there any chance, any chance at all, Brad could shake loose DeAndre Hunter? Not sure we have the bullets left (1st round picks) but ATL just gave up a lot of them.  White/G-Will/pick(s) for DeAndre?

« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2022, 04:20:31 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

I understand what you're saying because I also loved the T&T signings, but I think Gallo is a good pickup. $6.5m for a year? Virtually a free option, and it'll be nice to have a guy who can hit the broadside of a barn.

Mike

« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2022, 05:54:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I like it a lot more with the additional move for Brogdon. They’re not foreign to injury, but the upside is super legit. Both can start if needed too
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)