Author Topic: Report: Gallinari signing with Celtics upon clearing waivers  (Read 17775 times)

Re: Report: Gallinari signing with Celtics upon clearing waivers
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2022, 12:16:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
More shooting definitely helps.

« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2022, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I feel like this is going to be a Jason Terry / Michael Finley type signing. Hope and excited quickly squashed out by the realization that you are signing an old man whose wheels have fallen off.
He's not that old - 34 in August.
With a lot of injuries and lost quickness at 6-10.

He never was quick so not sure what he lost. He’s very stiff and not switchable on defense. Can see him more as small ball stretch 5 but more to give Al and Rob rest during regular season. Just don’t see his fit for us defensively. Ime must be rolling his eyes right now. But the guy can score. Great shooter, especially against Celtics!!
Most of us were rolling our eyes at all those missed 3's vs GS and in most of the playoff games they lost where everyone was saying 'this team can't stand prosperity'.  One reason they struggled was their bench not making open shots.  You will have to account for this guy defensively, which - in addition to improving your 3 pt shooting, also makes it easier for the Jays to get to the basket. 

GS was packing the lane because no one could make wide open shots.

Yep.  He's reportedly shot 41% on 5.5 3PAs over the past four years.

Only 38% last year, when he turned 33. Hopefully that’s a blip and not a sign he’s declining. I like him at the vet min but not the MLE. But I trust the ACA to know who else was in their price range. The guys I liked better all got a lot more than $6.4M. Dang.

Edit: the Cs, not the ACA!

« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2022, 12:18:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think of it this way.  He can give us more than Otto Porter gave GSW last season.  Probably not a whole lot more but I believe we will get more out of him than GSW got out of Porter.

No, Porter is a defender. A two way player.

I see Gallo as Bjelica ... especially after seeing some of the comments of Gallo as a small ball five like Bjelica was for GSW. Two similar 6-10 guys who are bad defenders / rebounders (Bjelica is worse than Gallo) who are plus offensive players (Gallo is better than Bjelica).

« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2022, 12:23:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Gallo could be good. He may not be.

I do not view him as reliable. I believe he is aged past that point. I was disappointed with what he gave ATL especially last season.

I have some hope Gallo will do better outside of ATL where he can touch the ball more often instead of standing in a corner while Trae Young overdribbles the basketball. That is the main source of hope for me.

Of course ... older players moving teams towards the end of their careers, usually goes the other way. They do not tend to get better in new situations. They tend to get worse. Sometimes out of continued decline; other times out of new teams not being as willing to build around their increasing vulnerabilities (defense in Gallo's case, less offensive creation to justify living with the bad D).

We will see. Time will tell. Hopefully it will go well.

« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2022, 12:24:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I feel like this is going to be a Jason Terry / Michael Finley type signing. Hope and excited quickly squashed out by the realization that you are signing an old man whose wheels have fallen off.

He never was quick so not sure what he lost. He’s very stiff and not switchable on defense. Can see him more as small ball stretch 5 but more to give Al and Rob rest during regular season. Just don’t see his fit for us defensively. Ime must be rolling his eyes right now. But the guy can score. Great shooter, especially against Celtics!!
Most of us were rolling our eyes at all those missed 3's vs GS and in most of the playoff games they lost where everyone was saying 'this team can't stand prosperity'.  One reason they struggled was their bench not making open shots.  You will have to account for this guy defensively, which - in addition to improving your 3 pt shooting, also makes it easier for the Jays to get to the basket. 

GS was packing the lane because no one could make wide open shots.

Yep.  He's reportedly shot 41% on 5.5 3PAs over the past four years.

Only 38% last year, when he turned 33. Hopefully that’s a blip and not a sign he’s declining. I like him at the vet min but not the MLE. But I trust the ACA to know who else was in their price range. The guys I liked better all got a lot more than $6.4M. Dang.

Edit: the Cs, not the ACA!

Hard to say, but from mid-January until the end of the season, he averaged 13.5 / 5.1 / 1.7, with only 0.6 turnovers.  .539 eFG%, .584 TS%.  +4.7 per game plus/minus

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2022, 12:26:42 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
This is a solid pickup.

« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2022, 12:26:56 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
I hope he can reclaim his shooting touch otherwise not sure what else he brings.
And does he even sniff playoff minutes?

Hopefully we can grab Huerter to fill the wing need… and make this pickup digestible.

« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope he can reclaim his shooting touch otherwise not sure what else he brings.

Reclaim?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2022, 12:28:00 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
And does he even sniff playoff minutes?

Hopefully we can grab Huerter to fill the wing need… and make this pickup digestible.

I see him taking Theis minutes and probably some of Grants after he gets his 3 fouls in 2 minutes.

« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2022, 12:28:12 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

The guy that is good defensively and adds punch offensively doesn't exist for what we have to offer

This sorta reminds me of Bryan Colangelo in Toronto.

TOR's biggest need was 3pt shooting so they went out and signed Jason Kapono (one of the league's best 3pt shooters) only Kapono was a terrible defender & rebounder who contributed nothing outside of shooting 3s so he made the team worse despite improving the team's weakness.

Next summer TOR's biggest need was rebounding (in part due to Kapono's inability to rebound) so Colangelo went out and signed Reggie Evans. One of the league's finest rebounders. Only Reggie Evans was a terrible defensive player and god-awful offensive player who made the team worse despite fixing that rebounding problem.

Guys who fix one problem while creating new bigger problems for the team.

Focus on a singular issue (3pt shooting or rebounding, in our case bench scoring & shooting) while paying too little attention to the overall quality of the player and whether he makes the team better or not.

Marginal additions who cause new problems but we focus only on what good things they offer while ignoring the bad.
So you think the team hasn't considered everything that he can bring to the team?  You think they don't have a vision for the player and what he can add?  Or maybe you see a guy available off the scrap heap that can do both and is willing to sign?  Or, maybe we shouldn't add anyone since you know, any of those players are going to make us worse?

But sure, the issue of using the mle (and frankly even the tpe) was always going to be a crapshoot.  In my mind anyone we got was either going to have flaws or be about as good as the guys we're trying to upgrade (i.e., PP and Theis).  That was the deal going in so how can someone be unhappy when that is what we get?

The way I look at it, Gallo will help us win regular season games at the very least while eating minutes to keep guys fresher.  As for the playoffs, he's been there before so I'm sure he knows what he's doing.  If he's not playable, he's not playable.  But I'm not going to hem and haw when I didn't come back with something classy while shopping and pick and save.

« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2022, 12:28:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think of it this way.  He can give us more than Otto Porter gave GSW last season.  Probably not a whole lot more but I believe we will get more out of him than GSW got out of Porter.

No, Porter is a defender. A two way player.

I see Gallo as Bjelica ... especially after seeing some of the comments of Gallo as a small ball five like Bjelica was for GSW. Two similar 6-10 guys who are bad defenders / rebounders (Bjelica is worse than Gallo) who are plus offensive players (Gallo is better than Bjelica).

I don't know, I like Gallinari better than Otto Porter  I don't know what contract Porter got, doesn't appear to be reported yet.  GSW doesn't seem to worried about loosing him on what is probably pretty short money.  Neither of these guys are going to be big needle movers.  Gallinari seems like a good value signing to me.

« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2022, 12:30:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Finally something.....  Is he an upgrade over some of our bench level g league guys who filled out our roster, absolutely.    He is still better than Grant in scoring and rebounds, too just not on D, and Grant is a better shooter.

« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2022, 12:31:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Reclaim?
I was thinking the same thing.  Besides, Gallo isn't just a spot up shooter.  He has more in his game to contribute on the offensive end even if his three ball isn't falling in a particular game.

« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2022, 12:33:14 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

The guy that is good defensively and adds punch offensively doesn't exist for what we have to offer

This sorta reminds me of Bryan Colangelo in Toronto.

TOR's biggest need was 3pt shooting so they went out and signed Jason Kapono (one of the league's best 3pt shooters) only Kapono was a terrible defender & rebounder who contributed nothing outside of shooting 3s so he made the team worse despite improving the team's weakness.

Next summer TOR's biggest need was rebounding (in part due to Kapono's inability to rebound) so Colangelo went out and signed Reggie Evans. One of the league's finest rebounders. Only Reggie Evans was a terrible defensive player and god-awful offensive player who made the team worse despite fixing that rebounding problem.

Guys who fix one problem while creating new bigger problems for the team.

Focus on a singular issue (3pt shooting or rebounding, in our case bench scoring & shooting) while paying too little attention to the overall quality of the player and whether he makes the team better or not.

Marginal additions who cause new problems but we focus only on what good things they offer while ignoring the bad.

TP, Couldn’t agree more. I hate this signing for the MLE. He has one skill and he didn’t even do that too well last year, shooting 38% from 3pt. Not great for a “sniper”. Gallo is going to be a giant hole in the Celtics defense. I don’t know what Brad was thinking with this signing.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2022, 12:39:56 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I guess I just don't get how Denver got Bruce Brown for 2 years at $13M. He's from here which may have helped.

He would have been far more valuable. I hope we we are confident we can make some other kind of deal to get a better 2 way rotation player at the wing, because that's the most important need.