Author Topic: Report: Gallinari signing with Celtics upon clearing waivers  (Read 17807 times)

Re: Report: Gallinari signing with Celtics upon clearing waivers
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2022, 12:01:19 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He helps the big man group especially since you can't count on their consistency.
Bigs=TL, Al, Theis, Gali, GW

Pushes Hauser to SF I guess.

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2022, 12:01:37 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
So who does he guard...fours?

I think he tries to, but not well. I don’t understand this signing unless they are trading Grant. Otherwise, are you giving Al 30mpg, and Grant 9mins and Gallo 9mins? Those two are not centers and Al is the starting PF.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2022, 12:02:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
While it helps the bench it doesn't move the needle in regards to winning a championship.  The C's need more then a guy who can fill in minutes during the regular season but may not get much run during the playoffs because he can't play a lick of D.  I'd rather have had Warren or Divi.
Divi isn't better and Warren is a complete crapshoot.  We're picking from the scrap heap so I really don't understand some of these expectations.

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2022, 12:02:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think he tries to, but not well. I don’t understand this signing unless they are trading Grant.

Grant can defend small forwards and some centers.  He'll be fine.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2022, 12:03:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I feel like this is going to be a Jason Terry / Michael Finley type signing. Hope and excited quickly squashed out by the realization that you are signing an old man whose wheels have fallen off.
He's not that old - 34 in August.
With a lot of injuries and lost quickness at 6-10.

He never was quick so not sure what he lost. He’s very stiff and not switchable on defense. Can see him more as small ball stretch 5 but more to give Al and Rob rest during regular season. Just don’t see his fit for us defensively. Ime must be rolling his eyes right now. But the guy can score. Great shooter, especially against Celtics!!

« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2022, 12:03:41 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

I think he tries to, but not well. I don’t understand this signing unless they are trading Grant.
I understand the signing in that we can't really do better.  In terms of grant, they don't get in each others way and we needed one more. 

« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2022, 12:04:55 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If the last couple of seasons are any indications, he'll have some games where we love him to death, and others where he disappears...with a smattering of time missed due to injuries mixed in.

Hopefully he can get hot and win us a playoff game or two.  Always liked the player.
Yup

« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2022, 12:05:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is a nice signing. Gallo is hardly a world-beater, but he is skilled, savvy, and has size. His all-around game and ability to spread the floor should help quite a bit.

This pretty much guarantees that we use the TPE on a SG/SF type, which there seem to be more of. Other teams are also improving, but our roster was 2 games from a Finals win, so adding anything helps.

« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2022, 12:08:33 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I feel like this is going to be a Jason Terry / Michael Finley type signing. Hope and excited quickly squashed out by the realization that you are signing an old man whose wheels have fallen off.

He never was quick so not sure what he lost. He’s very stiff and not switchable on defense. Can see him more as small ball stretch 5 but more to give Al and Rob rest during regular season. Just don’t see his fit for us defensively. Ime must be rolling his eyes right now. But the guy can score. Great shooter, especially against Celtics!!
Most of us were rolling our eyes at all those missed 3's vs GS and in most of the playoff games they lost where everyone was saying 'this team can't stand prosperity'.  One reason they struggled was their bench not making open shots.  You will have to account for this guy defensively, which - in addition to improving your 3 pt shooting, also makes it easier for the Jays to get to the basket. 

GS was packing the lane because no one could make wide open shots.

« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2022, 12:10:13 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

The guy that is good defensively and adds punch offensively doesn't exist for what we have to offer

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2022, 12:10:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

Grant can defend small forwards and some centers.  He'll be fine.

He can’t do it well, though. Too short to cover most centers and too slow to guard SF’s. GS series made that pretty clear when he was trying to guard Klay and Wiggins. He can’t guard Jimmy Butler, Kris Middleton, DeRozan, etc.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2022, 12:10:28 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
He helps the big man group especially since you can't count on their consistency.
Bigs=TL, Al, Theis, Gali, GW

Pushes Hauser to SF I guess.

Don’t think Hauser is in the rotation to be honest.

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2022, 12:11:01 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I think of it this way.  He can give us more than Otto Porter gave GSW last season.  Probably not a whole lot more but I believe we will get more out of him than GSW got out of Porter.

« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2022, 12:11:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Most of us were rolling our eyes at all those missed 3's vs GS and in most of the playoff games they lost where everyone was saying 'this team can't stand prosperity'.  One reason they struggled was their bench not making open shots.  You will have to account for this guy defensively, which - in addition to improving your 3 pt shooting, also makes it easier for the Jays to get to the basket. 

GS was packing the lane because no one could make wide open shots.

Yep.  He's reportedly shot 41% on 5.5 3PAs over the past four years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2022, 12:16:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

The guy that is good defensively and adds punch offensively doesn't exist for what we have to offer

This sorta reminds me of Bryan Colangelo in Toronto.

TOR's biggest need was 3pt shooting so they went out and signed Jason Kapono (one of the league's best 3pt shooters) only Kapono was a terrible defender & rebounder who contributed nothing outside of shooting 3s so he made the team worse despite improving the team's weakness.

Next summer TOR's biggest need was rebounding (in part due to Kapono's inability to rebound) so Colangelo went out and signed Reggie Evans. One of the league's finest rebounders. Only Reggie Evans was a terrible defensive player and god-awful offensive player who made the team worse despite fixing that rebounding problem.

Guys who fix one problem while creating new bigger problems for the team.

Focus on a singular issue (3pt shooting or rebounding, in our case bench scoring & shooting) while paying too little attention to the overall quality of the player and whether he makes the team better or not.

Marginal additions who cause new problems but we focus only on what good things they offer while ignoring the bad.