Author Topic: Matt Ryan human interest story  (Read 1471 times)

Matt Ryan human interest story
« on: June 02, 2022, 10:18:46 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
The Athletic has a nice in-depth piece about 2-way Celtic Matt Ryan.  Copying the intro paragraphs that set up the piece, but for those of you with a subscription, it’s a great read.  And for this without a subscription, The Athletic always has promotions to get you in the door, so I recommend joining for the finals run.

As the Celtics celebrated Jayson Tatum’s playoff-opening buzzer beater, his most improbable teammate stood out.

In the jumble of Boston players wearing green and white, Matt Ryan’s black sweatshirt and dark pants set him apart. On a two-way contract, Ryan is ineligible to play in the postseason but very much eligible to savor every aspect of the experience. For him, Tatum’s game-winning layup against the Nets represented an unexpected birthday gift.

With a smile wide enough to fit a softball inside it, Ryan grabbed Tatum in a hug and jumped up and down. Later, when friends asked Ryan how he’d sprinted to Tatum so quickly, he explained that he’d benefited from a head start. After watching the final possession from the farthest spot on the right side of the baseline near the Celtics bench, he told them he had the most direct route of anyone not in the game.

It was a wonder for Ryan to be there at all. Inside TD Garden. Next to his Celtics teammates.

The team plays 200 miles away from the Yonkers, N.Y., cemetery where he worked a year ago.

https://theathletic.com/3342355/2022/06/02/boston-celtics-finals-matt-ryan

Re: Matt Ryan human interest story
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 10:21:26 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Man is this the start of something great. I didn't know he was 6'7 also.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 02:32:08 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
He's shot 11-20 in 2 games in Summer League so far, and 10-19 from 3. Not bad for a former DoorDash driver.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 03:01:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some of the shots he throws up are ridiculous but he makes more than he misses.   Hard not to root for him given the backstory.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 03:09:33 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Some of the shots he throws up are ridiculous but he makes more than he misses.   Hard not to root for him given the backstory.

Yeah, if they didn’t go in so much he’d look like the worst chucked ever.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 03:23:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
He plays a very similar style as Max Strus.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 04:15:22 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
hes pretty tall- how is his defense. he always seems so Out of control to me. but hes shot making and confidence is off the charts.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 04:20:37 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
hes pretty tall- how is his defense. he always seems so Out of control to me. but hes shot making and confidence is off the charts.

His defense is being worked on is the best way to say it.  Or, as his summer league coach said when talking about his defense: "Maybe you're not the fastest guy or whatever, but you can use your strength, you can use your brains, you can be physical, you can be in the right spot.  If you're not going to be the the most dominant defender then you have to be good in all those other areas you can control."  In other words, his defensive potential is not off the charts, but it's being worked on.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 04:27:02 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK

His defense is being worked on is the best way to say it.  Or, as his summer league coach said when talking about his defense: "Maybe you're not the fastest guy or whatever, but you can use your strength, you can use your brains, you can be physical, you can be in the right spot.  If you're not going to be the the most dominant defender then you have to be good in all those other areas you can control."  In other words, his defensive potential is not off the charts, but it's being worked on.

Thanks I am rooting for the guy..Thomas almost was hitting 3s yesterday.