Author Topic: Celtics will host Heat Opening Night  (Read 6423 times)

Celtics will host Heat Opening Night
« on: August 03, 2010, 07:41:40 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2010/08/celtics_will_ho.html?p1=Upbox_lead

I thought someone posted that the Heat will play the Magic on opening night?  However,  this Boston.com article that came out early this morning states otherwise.

Re: Celtics will host Heat Opening Night
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:14:51 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Unless the Heat play the C's on the 26th then the Magic on the 28th?

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:26:43 AM »

Offline Asijs

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 54
From realgm about Christmas Day Games

It's been CONFIRMED.

Celtics@Magic

Heat@Laker

Cmon, again Magic...

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:31:45 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
From realgm about Christmas Day Games

It's been CONFIRMED.

Celtics@Magic

Heat@Laker

Cmon, again Magic... meh

I'd rather the Celtics play Chicago.  I guess the league needs to show the Magic some respect.  They whine about it enough.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 08:38:49 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
So, for three seasons in a row now - Away Games on Christmas. Thanks NBA.....The Celtics are feelin' the love - and it's August :o.

In 08-09, We went TO LA on Christmas.

In 09-10, We went TO ORL. And 10-11? Going back TO ORL. One of the posters here brought up the issue in a similar thread a few months ago that for Boston to host someone on Christmas day would not be profitable for the NBA. I can understand that mentality somewhat, because it is a lot warmer in ORL or LA on Christmas.

But C'mon Now Schedulers - is it really THAT cold in Boston on Christmas? I've never been up there during that time of the year - but seriously NBA?

I should be thankful that we've had a team good enough the last few years to display on Christmas Day, right?

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:05:59 AM »

Offline Dr H

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
So, for three seasons in a row now - Away Games on Christmas. Thanks NBA.....The Celtics are feelin' the love - and it's August :o.

In 09-10, We went TO ORL. And 10-11? Going back TO ORL. One of the posters here brought up the issue in a similar thread a few months ago that for Boston to host someone on Christmas day would not be profitable for the NBA. I can understand that mentality somewhat, because it is a lot warmer in ORL or LA on Christmas.

But C'mon Now Schedulers - is it really THAT cold in Boston on Christmas? I've never been up there during that time of the year - but seriously NBA?

I should be thankful that we've had a team good enough the last few years to display on Christmas Day, right?

I don't live in Boston but I live somewhat close (Connecticut) but I can say that it really depends on the winter. It seems the past couple winters have been somewhat mild, but before that I remember some winters that were [dang] frigid. If the Celtics play a good team they should sell out anyway(or atleast come close), besides, it's Boston..we all love the Celtics, why would anyone skip out even on Christmas?

My thoughts about ORL on Xmas - ehhh...only because we played them last year too. I wouldn't mind Boston/Chicago(or even Portland or OKC), I guess the NBA doesn't think Chicago will be a spectacular team...either that or they don't feel like hearing SVG whine anymore.

Anyone know when tickets start going on sale? Both for opening night and the rest of the season. I don't want to potentially miss out on any games I want to see...  ;) Last season I only got to go to the game against Chicago on Jan. 14th(Scal was our starting PF), the game against Sac. March 26th..when I bought the tickets I was looking forward to seeing Tyreke Evans and Kevin Martin play, but of course KMart went and got traded and Tyreke was out with an injury.. and I went to games 1 & 5 in our series against Miami. I'm looking to either go to more games or go to better quality games  ;D

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 09:08:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Garden always hosts either the Ice Capades or the Circus the week of Christmas so it is fairly rare that the Celtics are home on Christmas Day unless Christmas Day is either on a Saturday or Sunday.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
The Garden always hosts either the Ice Capades or the Circus the week of Christmas so it is fairly rare that the Celtics are home on Christmas Day unless Christmas Day is either on a Saturday or Sunday.

Didn't know that Nick, thanks.

I would just love - just one time - to see Boston host LA or ORL before this Big Three ride off into the sunset, though. We only have maybe 1 more year together with this group.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:28:07 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I don't live in Boston but I live somewhat close (Connecticut) but I can say that it really depends on the winter. It seems the past couple winters have been somewhat mild, but before that I remember some winters that were [dang] frigid. If the Celtics play a good team they should sell out anyway(or atleast come close), besides, it's Boston..we all love the Celtics, why would anyone skip out even on Christmas?

My thoughts about ORL on Xmas - ehhh...only because we played them last year too. I wouldn't mind Boston/Chicago(or even Portland or OKC), I guess the NBA doesn't think Chicago will be a spectacular team...either that or they don't feel like hearing SVG whine anymore.

Anyone know when tickets start going on sale? Both for opening night and the rest of the season. I don't want to potentially miss out on any games I want to see...  ;) Last season I only got to go to the game against Chicago on Jan. 14th(Scal was our starting PF), the game against Sac. March 26th..when I bought the tickets I was looking forward to seeing Tyreke Evans and Kevin Martin play, but of course KMart went and got traded and Tyreke was out with an injury.. and I went to games 1 & 5 in our series against Miami. I'm looking to either go to more games or go to better quality games  ;D

Haha - good pint about SVG. It will be interesting to hear what he will say this time around.

Not happy about the Christmas traveling for our team, but hey we pulled off a great game last year on Christmas, so I'm looking for same results this time around.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »

Offline lovely_20

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
  • Jesus Saves

I just looked at a calendar...Christmas falls on a Saturday this year...
"Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin' back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?""

Jesus Shuttlesworth, "He Got Game"

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Unless the Heat play the C's on the 26th then the Magic on the 28th?

I think that's what is gonna happen.

The Celtics and Heat open the season, and the Heat open the Magic's new arena a couple days later.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
no big surprises here....you pretty much knew boston would be playing orlando on Christmas day again...as well as the lakers v Heat....at least we get to open at home vs the heat

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:42:23 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm glad they're not playing in Boston on Christmas.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 11:08:57 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
I'm glad they're not playing in Boston on Christmas.

me too. That would mean I would have to go to the game if it where in boston, and somehow explain to my wife why that is more important than spending christmas with the in-laws

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 11:24:43 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I hope the C's don't get into a trash talking thing.....I know Doc doesn't love it.  Me neither....Hey Celtics, save your calories for the court!