Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode IX  (Read 29177 times)

Re: Star Wars: Episode IX
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2019, 09:15:14 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
You don’t have Luke have a lightsaber duel. EVERYONE wanted this. EVERYONE. But haha surprise!!! Subverted expectations. Training unnecessary. What a disaster.

Maybe my favorite thing about TLJ is how Luke went out. Saving your friends by passively and nonviolently using your enemy's anger against him by making him attack a literal phantom is exactly how a Jedi should "fight".  Much truer to what Jedi are supposed to be than Yoda doing 800 flips in a row while waving a laser sword. Best Jedi death since Obi-Wan.

It's kinda interesting how there's a split here between people saying the sequels have too much fan service and those saying it didn't have enough.

I can appreciate that point of view but fighting is going to be necessary so I’d prefer someone that would fight for others, even at the expense of his own “ soul” if you will, in order to save them. If this was a different kind of movie where Luke could inspire both sides to stop fighting i get that angle.

I mean he accomplished his goal so it wasn't necessary in the movie. What I'd say is just remember the throne room scene in Return of the Jedi - when Luke fought Vader that wasn't him winning, but failing and becoming corrupted. He won by refusing even if it cost him his life. The prequels kinda dumped on that by having like 50 big lightsaber fights but part of the idea there was that the Jedi were pretty corrupted too. 

I get what you mean that SOMEONE's gotta fight so the Jedi might as well help instead of just stalling the bad guys, but that's not really their deal as I understand it, and trying to be military in the prequels was a big part of what destroyed them.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:45:41 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2019, 05:11:27 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I am just going to the movie to watch it and that is what I did the last one, correspondingly I like it because you guys are falling into the theory trap and when it does not go your way you'll be bummed out again.

I respectfully disagree. It’s not for everyone but while die hards love to speculate I think an overwhelming majority wants to be surprised.

« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2019, 05:16:47 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
You don’t have Luke have a lightsaber duel. EVERYONE wanted this. EVERYONE. But haha surprise!!! Subverted expectations. Training unnecessary. What a disaster.

Maybe my favorite thing about TLJ is how Luke went out. Saving your friends by passively and nonviolently using your enemy's anger against him by making him attack a literal phantom is exactly how a Jedi should "fight".  Much truer to what Jedi are supposed to be than Yoda doing 800 flips in a row while waving a laser sword. Best Jedi death since Obi-Wan.

It's kinda interesting how there's a split here between people saying the sequels have too much fan service and those saying it didn't have enough.

I can appreciate that point of view but fighting is going to be necessary so I’d prefer someone that would fight for others, even at the expense of his own “ soul” if you will, in order to save them. If this was a different kind of movie where Luke could inspire both sides to stop fighting i get that angle.

I mean he accomplished his goal so it wasn't necessary in the movie. What I'd say is just remember the throne room scene in Return of the Jedi - when Luke fought Vader that wasn't him winning, but failing and becoming corrupted. He won by refusing even if it cost him his life. The prequels kinda dumped on that by having like 50 big lightsaber fights but part of the idea there was that the Jedi were pretty corrupted too. 

I get what you mean that SOMEONE's gotta fight so the Jedi might as well help instead of just stalling the bad guys, but that's not really their deal as I understand it, and trying to be military in the prequels was a big part of what destroyed them.

I hear ya. You made me think and I actually could support this if they made it more personal for Luke with an emphasis of him saying I cannot or will not kill my own nephew at any cost. It seemed ( to me) to more portray a guy just giving up for years for a failure more than love if family.

« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2019, 06:56:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It’s not for everyone but while die hards love to speculate I think an overwhelming majority wants to be surprised.

I think there are a lot of people that are not fan boys that go to get entertained.   I have liked most star wars movies even ones people did not.

What surprise are you talking about a random killing, or someone turning to the dark side, that happens almost every 2 or 3 movies.   Someone going back to their old ways to save the day.  A hidden person we did not know about.   So and so is someone 's kid.   Someone sacrificing themselves and becoming a force ghost?  Most movies are  just rehashing old ideas and these are no different.....

« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2019, 07:00:36 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  I feel like we are saying the same thing. These new movies are a rehash and I would have liked surprises instead of these things you’ve listed.

« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2019, 07:05:43 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  I would have loved the idea Mark Hamill’s gave to JJ that the lightsaber in the woods in TFA flies past Kylo and Rey and flew into Luke’s hand. I would have been surprised by that and I think theaters would have went crazy. But JJ dismissed it quickly I guess.

« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2019, 02:54:40 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
 Do the final trailer? Oh boy. I don’t get it. I just don’t get what they’re doing. I need this trilogy to be over and on to better things.

« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2019, 03:04:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It sure seems like they're gonna be trying to squeeze in a ton of stuff in one movie.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2019, 03:06:34 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Do the final trailer? Oh boy. I don’t get it. I just don’t get what they’re doing. I need this trilogy to be over and on to better things.

Don't worry, JJ Abrams has signed a huge deal with WB and will soon be out the door to ruin Superman, Green Lantern, and whatever other DC comics movie franchises he can get his hands on.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/jj-abrams-reportedly-offered-pick-dceu-movies/

The man has literally made it his life's mission to destroy all the franchises I care about.

« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2019, 03:16:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
SPACE HORSES

« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

Don't worry, JJ Abrams has signed a huge deal with WB and will soon be out the door to ruin Superman, Green Lantern, and whatever other DC comics movie franchises he can get his hands on.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/jj-abrams-reportedly-offered-pick-dceu-movies/

The man has literally made it his life's mission to destroy all the franchises I care about.

I can’t stand him. I loved BVS and Man of Steel. I’m hoping for the JL Snyder Cut and get myself an ending to that story. I gave Aquaman a chance but I felt it was a campy movie like Marvel does ( which is hugely successful so I get it.) and it’s just not for me. I’m in the minority there. So with JJ rumored to be recasting Superman who even haters of these dceu movies like in the role..I’m all set. JJ is like the luckiest director in Hollywood. I just can’t grasp what he’s supposedly good at other than copying other’s work.

« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2019, 06:07:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
These new movies are a rehash and I would have liked surprises instead of these things you’ve listed.

Sadly that is not the way of Hollywood, even Stars Wars is a mish mash of some earlier movies with space thrown in.  I think lack of creative writing ability is a big problem there, enough with all the remakes/reboots with no new ideas.

« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2019, 06:16:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
These new movies are a rehash and I would have liked surprises instead of these things you’ve listed.

Sadly that is not the way of Hollywood, even Stars Wars is a mish mash of some earlier movies with space thrown in.  I think lack of creative writing ability is a big problem there, enough with all the remakes/reboots with no new ideas.
I fairness to Hollywood some viewers (older ones) aren't the prime spenders in movies. Hollywood wants to update what worked for past main audiences for newer ones. When you see the reviews in that newer groups they seem to like the new stuff. The money also supports the take. It isn't ideal for us older crowd but that's the business.

« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2019, 01:31:04 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  Disney’s Lucasfilm needs new leadership desperately. I can’t imagine a company that allows its employees to insult their customers. Calling them racist and sexist, afraid of strong women. It’s smazing to me.  On the fence about boycotting this movie. I feel like The Mandalorian is more what die hard fans want and the response shows.
   How can they be so dumb with an attitude like “ Star Wars is for kids!!!” Literally yelling at their adult customers. Insulting them. Sure it’s for kids . It’s for adults too and always has been. There isn’t one child in a new hope and those lines around the movie theatre are more adults than kids. Die hards who grew up in this are the people that will go again and again to the same movie. Not the general movie goer. So dumb.
  They owe fans an apology for calling them racist and/ or sexist. That’s you, J.J. You said anyone that didn’t like TLJ is afraid of strong women. It’s pathetic that this was allowed.

Rise Of Skywalker
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2019, 01:56:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Early reviews are pretty bad for this one. Screw it, though, I’ll still be there Thursday.

What doesn’t make sense to me is that JJ Abrams and Rian  Johnson were allegedly coming at the story from completely different angles. How does that happen on a project this big?  How can you not at least have a broad outline to work from? Several of the reviews indicate the new movie is disjointed, as Abrams seems to be correcting “mistakes” from the second movie. That just seems extraordinarily sloppy for a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Overall, I enjoyed the last Jedi, despite some fairly large errors. However, iit is sounding like the entire thing was a giant waste of time, as it may not have forwarded the plot at all, other than killing off the most iconic hero in the Star Wars universe.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes