Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode IX  (Read 29519 times)

Re: Rise Of Skywalker
« Reply #150 on: December 19, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Everything wrong with the prequels are the same things wrong with the Disney trilogy, but even worse. At least the prequels introduced a bunch of new concepts to the Star Wars mythos (some bad, but mostly good ideas). I hope Disney see how much people like The Mandalorian and Jedi: Fallen Order, and gets their act together.

kinda my feeling as well, I enjoyed Phantom Menance (due to Darth Maul), Attack of the Clones was meh to me and more or less enjoyed Revenge of the Sith. I didn't like Force Awakens or Last Jedi as much.

I apologize in advance if this is a spoiler for Last Jedi (but given it's been a few years since it, i hope it doesn't count as a spoiler), I hated how Snoke was killed off so quickly. Kinda anti climatic how force awakens kinda hyped him up just to be cut in half so easily. Luke was very....underwhelming.

« Reply #151 on: December 19, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The person who comes in and talks about how often he watches every movie and knows all the lightsaber fighting styles thinks I need to take it down a notch? Okay.

I think world building is great, I think that blustery gatekeeping approach like you do is a toxic and awful, "I don't mean to be condescending" immediately followed by a credentials drop is the most common tell, yikes.

Anyways the silly complaints about Rey are true of Luke/Anakin. Action heroes are always OP!

« Reply #152 on: December 19, 2019, 02:49:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think abandoning the EU has been a huge mistake in general. I'm not saying they need to be in 100% lockstep with it. But there are mountains of great material out there, and maintaining some ties would have really helped build a greater universe.

Imagine if the DC or Marvel movies retconned 98% of their respective histories and only treated a couple dozen comics as canon?

There would be no Harley Quinn, no Thanos, no Venom, no Aquaman. In other words, pretty bleak.
Comics literally remove entire timelines and universes CONSTANTLY, they then never happened in the current comics. 98% of Marvel/DC history has been blown up. (See Peter Parker/Mary Jane, DC Crisis iterations, etc, etc)

They're doing exactly what you talk about though, pulling in ideas and some characters. Thawn shows up in the still cannon Rebels and is being rewritten into Star Wars. Just like the many resets and side stories of Superman/Batman get woven into the main comic lines all the time.

« Reply #153 on: December 19, 2019, 03:40:03 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
The person who comes in and talks about how often he watches every movie and knows all the lightsaber fighting styles thinks I need to take it down a notch? Okay.

I think world building is great, I think that blustery gatekeeping approach like you do is a toxic and awful, "I don't mean to be condescending" immediately followed by a credentials drop is the most common tell, yikes.

Anyways the silly complaints about Rey are true of Luke/Anakin. Action heroes are always OP!
Nice ad hominem, but I'll bite. That's exactly why I ''dropped my credentials'' - I wanted to show you that I actually know the plots and characters and not just speaking out of my a**, which you apparently are. Here it goes:

Luke is a blabbering fool, whiny teenager who gets introduced to the Force, goes into his first confrontation with Vader not properly trained (even though he was taught by Yoda and Obi-wan) and against Yoda's advice and gets his ass handed to him, surviving only because of the father-son bond. When we see him again in ROTJ he is a calm, collected and deliberate character who has grown significantly in strength (due to years of training).

Anakin, even though being the ''chosen one'' is also a moody, whiny teenager who studies with the Jedi Order at the height of their strength. He also gets his cocky ass handed to him by an 80 year old guy, then when he defeats him in the next movie, he kills him, because his emotions get the best of him, thus starting his path to the dark side. For being OP, as you say, he sure gets f***** by Obi-Wan nicely at the end of the movie.

Rey, who we get no back story on is already a skilled pilot and staff-wielder (no qualms yet). When she confronts the bad guy minion (Kylo, which is what Vader was to Luke) for the first time in lightsaber combat, with her holding it in her hands for the first time, she defeats a Jedi Knight, who trained under Luke and later Snoke (even though we know nothing about him, he is being played up at this point) and is in his physical prime. All the suspense is taken out of the trilogy, because it is shown she can defeat the bad guy WITHOUT training. At this point the ball is in Kylo's court. She visits Luke, with whom she actually doesn't train at all (which is to say, that doesn't count as her training under him). She has force powers everyone else who trained for their entire lives can dream of. She resists the dark side at every step of the way successfully without any mentoring and guidance from light side masters, unlike Luke, who fights Vader with such anger in ROTJ he teeters on the edge.

I could go on, but I know it's all the same to you. You're just showing your ignorance. If anyone is being toxic here, it's you.

Oh and more baloney in the movie where they show Leia defeating Luke in lightsaber combat. Yikes.

« Reply #154 on: December 19, 2019, 03:58:28 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
“Luke was OP like every action hero”
Wow I can’t believe that guy gives Rey a pass with that argument lol

Rey was OP with no training since minute 1. Also there are many flaws in this trilogy, such as first order sending only 2 stormtroopers out of millions in their disposal to jakku in episode 7 to retrieve the super important map. I mean seriously?

« Reply #155 on: December 19, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I could go on, but I know it's all the same to you. You're just showing your ignorance. If anyone is being toxic here, it's you.
I mean yeah, you're a pretty good case study for a particular kind of fan sadly. Its fine to not like a movie, but the the credential drop and references to world building/lore are the sides of fandom that just make people feel unwelcome.

« Reply #156 on: December 19, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Oh and more baloney in the movie where they show Leia defeating Luke in lightsaber combat. Yikes.

what

« Reply #157 on: December 19, 2019, 04:10:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

what
Must be in the new movie from spoilers?

« Reply #158 on: December 19, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

what
Must be in the new movie from spoilers?

Actually on 2nd read I think he just meant Rey.

Although a 70 year old Carrie Fisher chasing around Mark Hamill with a lightsaber sounds like it could be amazing haha. Especially if they CGI her to be flipping around like Yoda.

« Reply #159 on: December 19, 2019, 04:15:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay. Enough with the immature back and forth. Let's be civil.

« Reply #160 on: December 19, 2019, 04:39:40 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown

what
A flashback of Leia dueling with Luke is shown (in training of course) and she bests him. For the first two movies they went all ''Leia didn't receive any force training'' to ''lets have Rey call Leia master and find out she had a lightsaber and trained with Luke''.

« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
I mean yeah, you're a pretty good case study for a particular kind of fan sadly. Its fine to not like a movie, but the the credential drop and references to world building/lore are the sides of fandom that just make people feel unwelcome.
The same could be said for you, just the other way around. After I put forth arguments to why Rey is a bad character, you attacked me for being a toxic fan and went all sarcastic on me. But hey, you're right lets throw all the lore out the window, not just in SW, but in every major fantasy universe and just churn out movies/stories with no rules/limitations and accept everything at face value.

Sigh...a true reflection of the times we live in.

« Reply #162 on: December 19, 2019, 04:45:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The same could be said for you, just the other way around. After I put forth arguments to why Rey is a bad character, you attacked me for being a toxic fan and went all sarcastic on me. But hey, you're right lets throw all the lore out the window, not just in SW, but in every major fantasy universe and just churn out movies/stories with no rules/limitations and accept everything at face value.

DID YOU MISS THE WARNING JUST ABOVE THE TWO POSTS YOU JUST MADE. ENOUGH!!!

« Reply #163 on: December 19, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown

DID YOU MISS THE WARNING JUST ABOVE THE TWO POSTS YOU JUST MADE. ENOUGH!!!
Got it sir

« Reply #164 on: December 19, 2019, 05:44:52 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I think the laziest excuse in the book is "well you can never make Star Wars fans happy, so why try?" I've seen it get thrown around a bunch, and it makes no sense to me. There are many Star Wars things that are univerally considered good (Kotor I and II, the original Battlefront games, the Original Trilogy, The Mandalorian, Jedi: Fallen Order, ect.), that this sentiment just seems like an easy way to pass the blame over to the fans. Most of us just want some quality stuff.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum