Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 62803 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2019, 08:59:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Marc Stein: My sense is that the Grizzlies, since that Jan. 14 tweet, have indeed been quietly gauging the Gasol landscape and assessing their options — even though their preference surely remains not trading him. – via New York Times

If (when?) the Grizzlies reach the point that they are truly prepared to break up their star duo of Gasol and Mike Conley, one potential trade scenario I’ve heard would involve Memphis insisting to any interested team that Chandler Parsons must be involved in the same trade. – via New York Times

What team wants to pay Marc Gasol the functional equivalent of $48 million this season and $50 million next? That’s crazy talk.
honestly my first thought was Batum and Charlotte.  I came up with something like this.

Gasol, Parsons for Batum, Zeller, Lamb, lotto protected 1st
I could see Charlotte but they have the uncertainty with Kemba.  The Wizards should jump at the chance to get out from under the Wall contract.  Same with the Cavs and Love.

Yeah, I can honestly see the Grizzlies going the other way and deciding to keep Gasol and Conley, and trade for someone like Love to add to them.
They can't as they have nothing of any real value to trade (aside from Jackson, Gasol, or Conley) and the Cavs have gotten a fair amount of interest in Love, such that they can actually trade him for value (not a lot, but some).  That is the Grizzlies real problem is they just don't have many assets on their team right now aside from their top 4 pick and their 2 aging stars.  They need to come to that realization and trade Gasol now and see what they can get for Conley.
A fair amount of interest, based on what info?
Love's contract is a negative long term asset, that is irrefutable fact.
I don't know who is offering anything of value for him.
If by the value you mean getting another albatross contract (+ expiring) + some top 20 protected 2023 pick, then ok.
But then again why would Memphis clog their cap space and give future picks with an aged, often injured, over the hill star as they are entering the rebuilding phase, is beyond my imagination. Especially since they owe us a pick and they don't know when it will convey and they, due to Cleveland's own Ted Stepien rule, can't send another 1st rounder until 2023.
Based on all the rumors and several different teams including the Pelicans, Thunder, Jazz, Lakers, Rockets, Nuggets, Pacers, and Heat have all been linked to Love this season and some of them even last week.  Love has to get back on the court and play though for the Cavs to be able to get full value (whatever that is). 

So apparently several teams disagree with your irrefutable fact.
Read more efficiently.
I wrote that he is a longterm negative asset, not that there is no team willing to accept a negative asset in a trade.
but those teams aren't looking at him that way.  The rumors are that the Cavs will get value for him and not have to give up value to unload him.  that means he is not a long term negative asset.

I must say this seems really hard to believe because he is owed 120 million dollars for the next 4 years and has battled all kinds of injuries in his 20's (including scary back stuff). How can you feel comfortable paying him for 4 years of his 30's (he turned 30 this season)? I am curious what a potential value deal is for him? If you have seen any legit rumors I would love to see them.
It would be a young player (low to mid tier value), some form of contract (likely a year or two), and a 1st (likely a late or highly protected one).  Nothing great and if Love is healthy he has more value as a player then they could get for him (by a wide margin).  The thing is no one is all that interested until Love steps foot back on the court and he can't actually be traded until tomorrow at the earliest so there was never going to be anything close to a serious talk until then anyway, which is why there aren't any real solid rumors.  That said, I saw something last week linking the Thunder to Love and the trades I saw brandied about was something like Schroder, Diallo, and Noel.  That trade actually seemingly made sense for both teams, but that is only if Love actually shows he can play this year.
It seems like that deal would really hurt OKC's depth wouldn't it? Schroeder is playing nearly 30 minutes a game for them and averaging 15.5 and 5 (and i think some good perimeter defense). Noel is only playing about 15 points a game but is pretty effective in those minutes averaging a steal, block and 5 points and 5 rebounds with good defense while WOJ recently called Diallo a revelation for the thunder at 20 years old.

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/28/oklahoma-city-thunder-hamidou-diallo-revelation-adrian-wojnarowski-espn/

Why in the world would the Thunder cash out all those guys for someone who is going to be a third or 4th option on there team and get 120 million over 4 years?
because Love is better than those guys and thus is a much better fit with RW and PG.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Marc Stein: My sense is that the Grizzlies, since that Jan. 14 tweet, have indeed been quietly gauging the Gasol landscape and assessing their options — even though their preference surely remains not trading him. – via New York Times

If (when?) the Grizzlies reach the point that they are truly prepared to break up their star duo of Gasol and Mike Conley, one potential trade scenario I’ve heard would involve Memphis insisting to any interested team that Chandler Parsons must be involved in the same trade. – via New York Times

What team wants to pay Marc Gasol the functional equivalent of $48 million this season and $50 million next? That’s crazy talk.
honestly my first thought was Batum and Charlotte.  I came up with something like this.

I could see Charlotte but they have the uncertainty with Kemba.  The Wizards should jump at the chance to get out from under the Wall contract.  Same with the Cavs and Love.

Yeah, I can honestly see the Grizzlies going the other way and deciding to keep Gasol and Conley, and trade for someone like Love to add to them.
They can't as they have nothing of any real value to trade (aside from Jackson, Gasol, or Conley) and the Cavs have gotten a fair amount of interest in Love, such that they can actually trade him for value (not a lot, but some).  That is the Grizzlies real problem is they just don't have many assets on their team right now aside from their top 4 pick and their 2 aging stars.  They need to come to that realization and trade Gasol now and see what they can get for Conley.
If by the value you mean getting another albatross contract (+ expiring) + some top 20 protected 2023 pick, then ok.
But then again why would Memphis clog their cap space and give future picks with an aged, often injured, over the hill star as they are entering the rebuilding phase, is beyond my imagination. Especially since they owe us a pick and they don't know when it will convey and they, due to Cleveland's own Ted Stepien rule, can't send another 1st rounder until 2023.
Based on all the rumors and several different teams including the Pelicans, Thunder, Jazz, Lakers, Rockets, Nuggets, Pacers, and Heat have all been linked to Love this season and some of them even last week.  Love has to get back on the court and play though for the Cavs to be able to get full value (whatever that is). 

Read more efficiently.
I wrote that he is a longterm negative asset, not that there is no team willing to accept a negative asset in a trade.
but those teams aren't looking at him that way.  The rumors are that the Cavs will get value for him and not have to give up value to unload him.  that means he is not a long term negative asset.

I must say this seems really hard to believe because he is owed 120 million dollars for the next 4 years and has battled all kinds of injuries in his 20's (including scary back stuff). How can you feel comfortable paying him for 4 years of his 30's (he turned 30 this season)? I am curious what a potential value deal is for him? If you have seen any legit rumors I would love to see them.
It would be a young player (low to mid tier value), some form of contract (likely a year or two), and a 1st (likely a late or highly protected one).  Nothing great and if Love is healthy he has more value as a player then they could get for him (by a wide margin).  The thing is no one is all that interested until Love steps foot back on the court and he can't actually be traded until tomorrow at the earliest so there was never going to be anything close to a serious talk until then anyway, which is why there aren't any real solid rumors.  That said, I saw something last week linking the Thunder to Love and the trades I saw brandied about was something like Schroder, Diallo, and Noel.  That trade actually seemingly made sense for both teams, but that is only if Love actually shows he can play this year.
It seems like that deal would really hurt OKC's depth wouldn't it? Schroeder is playing nearly 30 minutes a game for them and averaging 15.5 and 5 (and i think some good perimeter defense). Noel is only playing about 15 points a game but is pretty effective in those minutes averaging a steal, block and 5 points and 5 rebounds with good defense while WOJ recently called Diallo a revelation for the thunder at 20 years old.

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/28/oklahoma-city-thunder-hamidou-diallo-revelation-adrian-wojnarowski-espn/

Why in the world would the Thunder cash out all those guys for someone who is going to be a third or 4th option on there team and get 120 million over 4 years?
because Love is better than those guys and thus is a much better fit with RW and PG.
Wrong. Love used to be better than those guys. Now, those guys, with their use and ability to grow are better than Love. And they don't financially handicap a team that is about as limited in their financials as any team.

The Thunder can afford two max players plus good cheap parts elsewhere. There is no way they can afford three max contracts for multiple years and afford the surrounding parts that take them over the top. They tried it before and it didn't work.

OKC never would do that trade for Love. Not even close.

« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2019, 11:00:51 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Read more efficiently.

Only Cavs fans would do this trade. This makes OKC worse.

« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2019, 06:07:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Read more efficiently.

it was rumors from mostly national or thunder sites.  I'm just passing along what I read.

« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2019, 08:28:35 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Read more efficiently.

Let's reflect on OKC's trade history for just a moment.

This is the franchise that, at one time not long ago, featured Westbrook, Harden, Durant, AND Serge I'm not sure anything they've really done since has made them better. Imagine what a real coach, one worthy of the roster, and an ownership group that could draw sponsors like crazy to keep them together, might have been. That was a baby superteam. And maybe a lesson for our talented young team.

« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Read more efficiently.

Gotta call shenanigans here.  Love is an NBA champion - OKC would have every incentive to do this deal.  I mean... if the Celtics can pay Gordon Hayward Top 5 money to be a redundant bench player OKC can pay Love to be their third scorer.

« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Read more efficiently.

Gotta call shenanigans here.  Love is an NBA champion - OKC would have every incentive to do this deal.  I mean... if the Celtics can pay Gordon Hayward Top 5 money to be a redundant bench player OKC can pay Love to be their third scorer.
Yeah I think that would make the Thunder a lot better and with the big contracts to RW, PG, and SA they aren't adding talent to the team any other way (and the reality is to keep Schroder, Noel, and Diallo they are probably paying as much or more than Love). 

Now that trade needs a bit more salary (leaving OKC) to actually work so say the trade is something like this

Love, Frye, Payne for Schroder, Noel, Diallo, Patterson (if OKC wanted to move on from Roberson, then Burks or Clarkson could be added as well giving OKC more usable depth this year)

So Post-Trade for OKC they would be below, and I really like the makeup of that team.  I think they could cause GS problems and if the Warriors break-up this summer, OKC might very well be the title favorite next year.

PG - Westbrook, Payne, Felton
Wings - George, Ferguson, Abrines, Nader, Luwawu-Cabarrot (eventually Roberson is back)
Bigs - Adams, Love, Grant, Frye

Again this is all pre-conditioned on Love actually stepping foot back on the court and showing he can still play because that is the only way that sort of trade makes sense for the Thunder, but if Love can do that, I do think that sort of trade makes perfect sense for both teams.

« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2019, 01:52:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Read more efficiently.

It truly is amazing how everything you post circles back to insulting Hayward. Are you some furious Jazz fan?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2019, 04:45:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252343/Cavaliers-Have-No-Interest-In-Trading-Kevin-Love

I guess we should take their word for it?
Yes and no.  The Cavs aren't going to go out of their way to trade Love, but they would absolutely trade him if the right offer came along.  What the right offer is, is of course up for debate.  And again, until Love actually steps foot on the court again, I think it is all a moot point as no team would offer anything close what it would take for the Cavs to trade him until he showed he was healthy.

That said, we should bring this thread back to Memphis so unless the trade proposal involves the Grizzlies, we should probably keep the Love stuff out of it (and I know I was a big culprit in that, but it is time to move back to Memphis, in this Memphis thread).

« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2019, 05:04:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I have to say, I'll be surprised if Memphis actually moves either of Gasol or Conley this season.  It appears keeping them both isn't getting in the way of them getting a high pick, so unless they feel either of them are going to lose value between now and this summer, it's not the best move (unless someone made a godfather type offer).

There's still a chance Memphis could bring in a big piece to help Gasol/Conley (a high pick this summer plus Jackson would be a strong offer), so until that is no longer feasible I think Memphis stays in a holding pattern.   Small market teams don't usually ditch players of their caliber, who are also fan favorites, until there is no other option.

« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2019, 06:20:20 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I have to say, I'll be surprised if Memphis actually moves either of Gasol or Conley this season.  It appears keeping them both isn't getting in the way of them getting a high pick, so unless they feel either of them are going to lose value between now and this summer, it's not the best move (unless someone made a godfather type offer).

There's still a chance Memphis could bring in a big piece to help Gasol/Conley (a high pick this summer plus Jackson would be a strong offer), so until that is no longer feasible I think Memphis stays in a holding pattern.   Small market teams don't usually ditch players of their caliber, who are also fan favorites, until there is no other option.

Enjoyed the talk about Kevin Love but glad to get back on track with Grizz talk. 

I agree that I'd be surprised, but I think they should try to move Conley.  A big reason for this is they are way out of contention in the West and in the bottom 6 teams overall, so regarding your 2nd point, they'd be fools to trade JJJ and a top 8 pick for someone that 50/50 doesn't even get them into the playoffs next year. 

So, I'd say they need to blow it up.  They don't even have any players worth anything besides Gasol, Conley and JJJ (maybe JGreen).  Gasol's productive but slowing down, and he's expensive.  A bit plodding for a big today too.

Conley is even more expensive, but a team needing a PG that has a bad contract or 2, and a good young player or a pick, could benefit from a Conley trade.  Orlando with Conley-Fournier-SF-Gordon-Vucevic could sneak into the playoffs. 

If I were Memphis, I'd deal Conley ASAP.  He's not getting younger, and his deal is only getting shorter.  He's valuable, just overpaid.  Deal him- Gasol comes after.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2019, 02:58:14 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Start the Memphis Grizzlies 2019-20 Season Watch Thread. This Memphis team will easily finish in bottom 8 this year. Time to focus on next year.

Wow you were fast. I only now officially give up on the 2019 pick. :P

« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2019, 10:42:51 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
CELTICS 2024