Author Topic: Anti Tommy Points  (Read 14059 times)

Anti Tommy Points
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:25:59 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Now I understand there are plenty of times when people deserve Tommy Points for saying things that are really enlightened, and overall great points sometimes with great research behind them or just new points of view on a topic. 

Other times there are posts that are repetitive that have been brought up several times before in the same thread.  Wild accusations or assertions with no basis in fact.  Ill admit im sure many of my posts could have come across like this, but whose haven't. 

I think it might be fun to come up with an anti Tommy Point system.  Something so that you can express dissaproval without saying anything mean or anything that would come across as negative.  And it would make for a real interesting post/TP/A-TP ratio. 

Names I suggest-
Tim Mccarver points
Bassy Points
or you can switch it up and have a flavor of the week name like this seasons could have been Cassel Points, during the of season for the sox give out Lugo Points

Now there may be many of you that think this is a dumb idea and i would tell you to go ahead and give me a MP (Mccarver Point)
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Anti Tommy Points
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:28:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
well, i wasen't around, but this was doable from what i understand when the karma system was first implemented, and led to some posters being vindictive and giving negitive feedback based on the poster, not the post.

I'm sure this happens now, subconsiously or not, and certain people dont give certain other posters TP's, but i'd rather have it that way then watch people get voted out in a popularity contest. goes back tot he old "if you can't say anythign nice, don't say anythign at all" rule.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:30:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
well, i wasen't around, but this was doable from what i understand when the karma system was first implemented, and led to some posters being vindictive and giving negitive feedback based on the poster, not the post.

I'm sure this happens now, subconsiously or not, and certain people dont give certain other posters TP's, but i'd rather have it that way then watch people get voted out in a popularity contest. goes back tot he old "if you can't say anythign nice, don't say anythign at all" rule.

Yep.  They weren't worth the hassle.  They caused a lot of whining, complaining, fighting, and ultimately, created more work for the staff.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
We used to have this. Created a very hostile environment. The very reason you like the MP system, is the very reason why people hate it so much. All it takes is one user to get a negative ratio, than they come out with "If you give a negative tommy point you should have to explain yourself!" post. Also, people seem to enjoy giving out DP's (Davis Points, Ricky not Glen) way more than they do TP's. Just works better with an all positive system. Easier.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Alright, my bad guys i just thought it might be fun, didnt realize it had been done before and caused such an issue
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:54:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Yep.  They weren't worth the hassle.  They caused a lot of whining, complaining, fighting, and ultimately, created more work for the staff.

Not that the positive Tommy Points haven't caused all that too ;)
Yup

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

True, but at least they brought us the fairly entertaining musings of nick and "TP-gate"

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:03:54 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Alright, my bad guys i just thought it might be fun, didnt realize it had been done before and caused such an issue
Nah, like most folks around here, I'm sure you're ok. We just had a problem with some nutjobs who would go off on vendettas against other members who said something they didn't like. Real crazy stuff -- like spend a day doing nothing but sitting over here giving some member negative Tommy Points.

The lack of maturity and/or sanity on the part of that minority is why we don't have pluses and minuses on the TPs. The Karma system also runs in a very unaccountable way. So we can't see who gets stupid with it or when they do. If it did, we could just get rid of such abusers. Otherwise if the system was respected, watching TPs go up and down might be fun.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:17:12 PM by Bob Day »
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

True, but at least they brought us the fairly entertaining musings of nick and "TP-gate"

Maybe we should go with neutral Tommy Points
Yup

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 04:14:48 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico

We already have that. It's called don't click the "Giveth One" link. I use it all the time -- with exceptions of course.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 04:17:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

We already have that. It's called don't click the "Giveth One" link. I use it all the time -- with exceptions of course.
Excellent point Bob.  For that I award you with a Neutral Tommy Point (as I have done on infinite occasions I might add)
Yup

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico

Excellent point Bob.  For that I award you with a Neutral Tommy Point (as I have done on infinite occasions I might add)
HAHAHAHAHA! Backatcha, Redz. 8)

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 04:20:43 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

May I encourage everyone to give
Hobbsy a TP when he reaches post
no. 14,890. A TP to anyone who
figures out why  :)

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
No doubt about it. I'm going to ask Batman to look into this corrupt, crime-infested and scandalous Tommy Point racket going on around here.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 04:26:53 PM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
I recommend a "Blount Point" sincs scals is still on the team